Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Armoured Commander I & II - roguelike WW2 tank simulator  (Read 17893 times)

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
Re: Armoured Commander I & II - roguelike WW2 tank simulator
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »

Do the Opel Blitz 3-ton trucks actually do anything aside from withdrawing in battle?

They don't have any weapons and are essentially caught in the battle. You can destroy them for VP. In the future some of them may be carrying an infantry squad or two.

Not sure if the sniper event is working, my Assistant Driver was hit by a sniper in battle and nothing negative happened.

There's a very small chance that it will just be a glancing hit and your crewmen will be fine. I think your AD got really lucky there!

Ideas on bridges: they could display differently on the battle map and have a goal of taking the bridge

I'll work on how they are displayed - it would be nice to have "Bridge" appear when you hover the mouse cursor over them as well.

I think targets of opportunity, which from what I can tell have replaced objectives, could have a bit more flavour and differentiation. Ammo depots, supply lines, stolen loot being transported, intel, fortified positions having an opening.

Yes, I felt that objectives were not working very well, so I replaced them by something similar that randomly pops up during the day and which is still worth a hefty VP bonus if taken. One of my medium-term goals is to add more flavour to the game, describing in more detail what the game is simulating, so in time these targets will have more descriptions as to why they are valuable.

Urban combat as an entire combat day, with partisans and ambushes and entrenched forces?

Yes this could work very well - the entire campaign day map would cover a city, and there would be a new set of support options for moving into a new zone (sappers, snipers, etc.)

Looking on the roguelike I have played most (dungeon crawl stone soup), I think a great element to take from it is the concept of unique enemies/circumstances as landmarks in the roguelike game aspect. You could take these in pieces from history.

The odds of encountering a historical character would be very low, but I toyed with the idea of a Shadow of Mordor style vendetta system, where you could encounter individual tanks and their crews multiple times during a campaign. They would be more powerful than average tanks too.

Really enjoying the game and would be stoked to see a roadmap of what you'd like ArmCom2 to end up as!

Thanks! Right now I have a short to-do list of major features, including adding a Soviet Winter War campaign, and then it's time for the Battle for France, which you will be able to play from the British, French, or German perspective.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »

Urban combat as an entire combat day, with partisans and ambushes and entrenched forces?

Yes this could work very well - the entire campaign day map would cover a city, and there would be a new set of support options for moving into a new zone (sappers, snipers, etc.)
That could get deadly fast, especially once the Volkssturm-with-a-Panzerfaust factor kicks in. Urban warfare is no place for a tank, even with sufficient supporting forces, especially after the proliferation of effective man-portable AT weapon.

Which could be fun. :D
Looking on the roguelike I have played most (dungeon crawl stone soup), I think a great element to take from it is the concept of unique enemies/circumstances as landmarks in the roguelike game aspect. You could take these in pieces from history.

The odds of encountering a historical character would be very low, but I toyed with the idea of a Shadow of Mordor style vendetta system, where you could encounter individual tanks and their crews multiple times during a campaign. They would be more powerful than average tanks too.
This... might make for a fine balance between them just being a slightly taller speed bump and getting killed like all the others, and them decimating the player handily, all on the first encounter.

Probably shouldn't be left entirely to the mercy of the RNG if it's ever done, even though that's somewhat against the spirit of a Roguelike.

Can't wait to see where this goes!
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 01:46:23 am »

New version is going great, no crashes thus far.

Thought the new difficulty start option was great, I turned Fate points off and have definitely been enjoying the heightened stakes! When a crewmember dies, the Fatigued effect stays above the Dead effect. Should probably clear to just Dead.

Edit: Starting a Winter War FIN campaign. Fighting Withdrawal needs the second a.

Second Edit: crash during the Winter War campaign, first day. No debug in log, replication testing tmrw.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:40:56 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 03:07:49 am »

Yeah, Fate Points are doing a lot behind the scenes to keep the player alive. It gives you a tiny chance to take out that 75mm gun that's already got its sights on you as soon as the battle starts.

Fatigue points now set to 0 upon crewman death (they can finally rest!) and spelling error fixed, will appear in next build.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 08:15:53 am »

game crashed in combat while trying to use a scout action on the assistant driver after opening his hatch

is there a file / log I can upload to help diagnose the crash?

version say 0.11.0

e: save game https://we.tl/t-iu5sphiJPq

I can reproduce the crash here by C H Space
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:19:12 am by LoSboccacc »

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:45 am »

Yes you can email the three savegame files to the email address in the README.md file, thanks!

Edit: Got it!

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 08:26:42 am »

I can reproduce the crash here by C H Space

I haven't been able to reproduce the crash - what does the 'C' command do?

Edit: Ah - is it "Continue" from the main menu? I can open the hatch and proceed to the spotting phase without a crash.

Edit 2: It might be an old bug that was fixed, relating to how skill bonuses were being calculated. Please do give the current development build a try.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:44:55 am by sudasana »

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 10:26:51 pm »

Bug in Jan 18th build.

Tank was destroyed by enemy air attack as Fins in Winter War. Gunner died due to being seriously wounded and unconscious then burning to death. He gained a skill point and seemed fine the next day. Not sure if it's fixed in current build, but still a bug regardless. 

Edit: Onto the newest weekly build. The pace at which the sniper random event and main gun breakdown event go by at is too quick. Is there any plan of adding a game log feature in where you can review combat odds, hit rates, damage inflicted, and random events?

Second edit: Crash on newest weekly build. Bit of a long fight versus a T-28. T-28 moved to the edge of the battle map and the game crashed. Only thing in runtime log is:
Armoured Commander II shutting down
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:45:22 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2020, 03:55:41 am »

Tank was destroyed by enemy air attack as Fins in Winter War. Gunner died due to being seriously wounded and unconscious then burning to death. He gained a skill point and seemed fine the next day. Not sure if it's fixed in current build, but still a bug regardless. 

What, ghost gunners aren't a thing?  :P

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2020, 06:53:24 am »

Tank was destroyed by enemy air attack as Fins in Winter War. Gunner died due to being seriously wounded and unconscious then burning to death. He gained a skill point and seemed fine the next day.

"I'm not dead! I think I'll go for a walk." (In memorium of Terry Jones)

Edit: Onto the newest weekly build. The pace at which the sniper random event and main gun breakdown event go by at is too quick. Is there any plan of adding a game log feature in where you can review combat odds, hit rates, damage inflicted, and random events?

In the options menu you can change how long pop-up messages stay on the screen. But yes - some important events do happen too quickly, I'll add some more pauses between steps.

There's a basic log recorded right now that is exported to a text file at the end of your campaign, in the future it can contain more detail such as what you mentioned.

Second edit: Crash on newest weekly build. Bit of a long fight versus a T-28. T-28 moved to the edge of the battle map and the game crashed.

I thought I had seen this crash before but I wasn't able to reproduce it, now it's clear that it's a bug. It has to do with removing AI units that move off the scenario map. I'll look into it.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2020, 08:24:07 am »

Update: Both bugs fixed in current development build (Alpha 12 Release Candidate 1) http://www.armouredcommander.com/download/armcom2_weekly.zip

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2020, 08:47:09 pm »

Update: Both bugs fixed in current development build (Alpha 12 Release Candidate 1) http://www.armouredcommander.com/download/armcom2_weekly.zip

Playing new update, no crashes yet.

What are the factors behind First Aid? Knowledge stat? Wounded party's Grit? Conscious or unconscious?
What does 'Recce' on an enemy mean?

I feel like enemy behaviour could be more aggressive, particularly with the fact my squad makes intelligent/aggressive moves while my foes often spend turns seemingly idle or moving absently or even exposing flanks/weak armours when they could be firing at the player. Is there a sight mechanic for enemies I'm unaware of? Understandably, programming an AI to take on the player is probably a difficult task, especially a single-handed project. Just throwing my thoughts out there.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2020, 09:10:00 am »

Right now First Aid applies a standard bonus to any recovery rolls by a wounded, stunned, or unconscious crewmate. The crewman himself rolls against Grit to recover.

Recce is short for reconnaissance, and means that the unit is intended for scouting rather than head-on combat. They are harder to spot initially and tend to be more lightly-armoured.

Enemy AI could certainly be more aggressive toward the player, but the intent is for battles to be somewhat abstract. You can imagine that there's a whole battle line of allied units out there, some of whom might be more pressing threats than your squad. In ArmCom1 there was an abstracted "friendly forces" that could destroy enemy units, but I found it frustrating since you had no control over when and where they struck. In the future in ArmCom2, allies will be represented on the scenario map and will act on their own to help you out.

Alpha 12 is out now, by the way (no change from RC 1), thanks for all the bug reports and suggestions!

https://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/2020/01/26/alpha-12/

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2020, 03:09:33 am »

Playing Alpha 12!
Crash when a squad member moved away from my hex.
After a friendly artillery attack, I feel like there should be a 'remaining enemy units' check. Cycles back to the Command phase currently.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:58 am »

Ah that's weird - squad members should never move away from your hex, I'll look into it. I made a bunch of changes to the AI in order to have transports work properly, so I probably messed something up in there.

And yes, I'll add an end-of-scenario check after the random event phase.

Edit: I've updated the build to Alpha 12.1, saved games from Alpha 12 are compatible. I think I've fixed this bug and squad members should no longer go wandering off on their own.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:37:53 am by sudasana »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10