Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Armoured Commander I & II - roguelike WW2 tank simulator  (Read 17946 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armoured Commander I & II - roguelike WW2 tank simulator
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2020, 02:38:29 pm »

Has the Close Assault of German Motorcycle Infantry crash-out (Alpha 12.1) been fixed on your end?  (If not, I'll need to look up instructions for submitting the reproducer savefile triple.)

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 02:53:22 pm »

No but I know why the crash is happening - I'll upload a development build tomorrow with the crash fixed.

Edit: The GitHib repo has been updated with the fix, but I'm going to hold off on a dev build until I can test it further. No sense just giving you more bugs and crashes to experience!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:10:35 am by sudasana »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2020, 05:54:26 am »

No problem; I don't have a clear idea how to make Python programs compile-error on bugs rather than runtime-error.  This felt like something that could be a systematic error.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2020, 06:20:14 am »

Sadly I just forgot to include definitions for motorcycle units in the close assault firepower table. So it tries to look them up in a table where they don't exist.  :'(

Edit: Sorry I didn't read your comment closely enough. Python doesn't really compile, the builds are packaged up into an exe but inside there is still a Python script. Syntax errors will get caught by the interpreter and throw an error, but things like a variable not existing in a dictionary will only produce an error when the script tries and fails to find it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:03:43 am by sudasana »

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:56 am »

New development build available, fixes the crash mentioned above and adds a bunch of new features: https://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/2020/02/09/development-build-9-february-2020/

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:38 pm »

Finally got internet at the new place, and I come back to new releases! Playing the defensive French campaign, accidentally hit the X key on the scenario map instead of C or Z and the game crashed immediately. Neat to see German motorcycle squads on the battlefield! 
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2020, 10:43:23 am »

It's when you hit X on the campaign day map, or indeed most inactive key commands - fixed in next dev build. Don't press any inactive keys on the campaign map for now!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:07 am »

It's when you hit X on the campaign day map, or indeed most inactive key commands - fixed in next dev build. Don't press any inactive keys on the campaign map for now!

Ok, so that is why pressing down key closed the game.  Game saved, so nothing lost from what I can tell.  If this were an ahem different sort of game, it would be a feature!

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2020, 09:37:37 am »

Well old games used to have "boss keys" that would replace the contents of the screen with something that looked like work...

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2020, 03:00:29 pm »

The 105 K/13 anti-tank gun is Fated to never die in Close Combat (game crashes instead).  I have a reproducing save on hard drive, should it be needed (Soviet side of the Winter campaign)

I know how I would deal with this sort of thing in C# or C++, but that needs some way to specify a developer/debug build for doing runtime unit tests on game open.

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2020, 03:13:06 pm »

Please do send me the save game, I can run it in Python and track down the bug that's causing the crash.

Edit: Fixed now, I uploaded a kind of hotfix to the development build, if you re-download it will still say 09-02-20 but it will fix these two crashes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:22:33 pm by sudasana »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2020, 02:22:09 am »

Playing the beta candidate! French campaign.
A more clear visual indicator of dug-in/entrenched might be useful, unless there's some sign I'm missing.
How do you set the default load?
Not sure where you would put it in the UI but maybe an option key then a pop-up menu displaying message history would be useful. Hit/miss chances and taken, weather changes, enemy moves, etc.

Found a crash! Motorcycle squad was pinned after I fired the machine gun at them, full crash, no error message.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:46:30 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:02 am »

I find it somewhat jarring to instantly identify "that unspotted unit is infantry" from the hover-text reported that it is entrenched/dug-in.  (Smoke about an unspotted unit makes complete sense.  Entrenched/dug-in in the hover-text, suggests that the unspotted unit UI should be leaking infantry vs vehicle classification; I'd have to read up on WWII accounts to know if that is actually reasonable, rather than just a powergamer snap impression.)

EDIT: just hit a total crash on Refit day against the 2020-02-14 download (i.e., not latest build).  Soviet side of Winter Campaign. Dec. 28 1939.  All of declining to refit, no-op, and trying to upgrade from BT-7 to T-28 fail.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:31:59 am by zaimoni »

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:13 pm »

How realistic is it - mainly about sortie ratios, tactics and scenarios available. Does it really feel like you are a tanker in a unit that has plausible tasks? What about combined arms? Do those relatively large hexes not simplify things a bit too much, compared to, say, Steel Panthers?

Sorry for so many questions, it seems too good to be true.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:54:59 pm by FAA »

sudasana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Armoured Commander II
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2020, 04:42:32 am »

Fixed the motorcycle crash (heh), working on the refit day crash now.

Entrenched/dug-in status needs to be displayed better, and should be hidden for unspotted units.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10