Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs  (Read 3343 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Hi Bay12! Do you do fighting? I do fighting. Well, kinda, I train in karate, and have been doing so for a pretty long while. I teach and stuff, though I don't have my own facility or anything crazy.

I've recently found myself kinda curious as to whether anyone else on this forum does martial arts or other various forms of fighting. Boxing, wrestling, sambo, judo, kung fu, silat, inviting-people-to-your-backyard-and-fighting-them-there-fu, anything else that isn't currently popping into my head.

This thread'll be for general discussion about basically anything related to some form of fighting - what you've been working on and might be having difficulty with, if you're seeking tips or advice on what art you might prefer if you're considering starting to train, etc. Just general discussion stuff, really.

Allow me to open with a joke, which may or may not have been the only reason I started this thread to begin with: what is Shrek's favorite judo technique?

Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:28:53 am »

PTW. I don't box anymore, but I'm still always fascinated in any talk around martial arts and unarmed combat.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:03:46 am »

I practice taekwondo, although I've only been doing it for about four months and I'm completely ungraded. I could probably pass the grading for my yellow tags (9th gup), but I haven't had time to go to a grading.

Slightly further away from MA but still IMO fundamentally a combat sport, I fence (principally epee) competitively at a national level. I'm not good at the national level, but I'm not bad either. Many people would probably disagree about calling fencing a combat sport, but after practicing TKD for a while, a great many of the skills seem to transfer.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:02:32 am »

Ooh, this looks like a fun thread in the making!

I used to practice MMA. Then the sensei turned out to be a creep and got shoved into federal prison. So I tried HEMA for awhile. Then I realized the equipment was prohibitively expensive, and I don't have a place nearby that teaches it. So... I don't really do much now. I still like hearing about it tho! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »

I practice taekwondo, although I've only been doing it for about four months and I'm completely ungraded. I could probably pass the grading for my yellow tags (9th gup), but I haven't had time to go to a grading.

Slightly further away from MA but still IMO fundamentally a combat sport, I fence (principally epee) competitively at a national level. I'm not good at the national level, but I'm not bad either. Many people would probably disagree about calling fencing a combat sport, but after practicing TKD for a while, a great many of the skills seem to transfer.
Ooh, neat! I'd say it counts, and I've actually heard the fencing/tkd comparison before - primarily in regards to ... I think it's WTF taekwondo, the olympic version? I've heard it called leg fencing, while older tkd was apparently similar to leg boxing.

How's the ranking system work in taekwondo, anyhow? I know it varies from school to school (lord knows karate's guilty of that) but I'm pretty sure there's a general pattern.
Sig! Onol

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 12:53:57 pm »

How's the ranking system work in taekwondo, anyhow? I know it varies from school to school (lord knows karate's guilty of that) but I'm pretty sure there's a general pattern.

Something like white, yellow, green, blue, red, black (1st degree).  My school had in-between senior belts for each not-black color, which had a black stripe down the middle.  It basically says you're halfway there.

There's ten degrees of black belt, albeit 10th is more an honorary thing.  Each degree is a yellow bar on the end of the belt.  My master was 6th degree, and the assistant teachers were around 2-3 degree.

I myself reached red senior, but that was maybe 8 years ago at this point.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 01:00:28 pm »

I do ITF taekwondo, where it's 10th to 1st gup(/kup depending on whose romanisation you use :P), white -> white with yellow tags -> yellow -> green tags -> green -> blue tags -> blue -> red tags -> red -> black tags -> black -> gold tags, AFAIK. That one's an international standard, but it may well differ from the WTF one.

I think the skills from fencing probably transfer to combat sports in general, not just TKD, although the way points are scored is kinda similar to foil fencing. Things like space management, head games, and watching your opponent are pretty universal.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »

Ah, so fairly similar to how my karate school does it, then. Neat!

I think the skills from fencing probably transfer to combat sports in general, not just TKD, although the way points are scored is kinda similar to foil fencing. Things like space management, head games, and watching your opponent are pretty universal.
And falling. If there's one thing I've seen practiced a heck of a lot in pretty much every asian martial art I've ever practiced, it's that falling properly is a thing they really want you to learn.
Sig! Onol

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:21:04 pm »

Ah, so fairly similar to how my karate school does it, then. Neat!

And falling. If there's one thing I've seen practiced a heck of a lot in pretty much every asian martial art I've ever practiced, it's that falling properly is a thing they really want you to learn.

To be fair, a lot of techniques involve somebody falling on the ground.  If you're going to practice those on each other, you need to know how to fall without hurting yourself.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 01:24:05 am »

To be fair, a lot of techniques involve somebody falling on the ground.  If you're going to practice those on each other, you need to know how to fall without hurting yourself.
Oh aye, pulling off a shoulder throw or some of the more brutal hip tosses on someone who doesn't know how to fall can really easily end up with them landing right on their face.
Sig! Onol

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 04:28:20 am »

That's the one thing you won't learn in fencing. Bodily contact that's not clearly incidental in the course of a normal attack is punished by anything from a warning to an immediate two-month ban from the sport. :P That said, I still have a hex pattern printed into the heel of my palm from falling on the piste at nationals more than a week ago.

On a less technical note, what do y'all most like about your style of choice? I am a shameless lover of TKD's needlessly flashy jumps and spins, myself.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 05:00:34 am »

Posting to watch.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 05:22:24 am »

On a less technical note, what do y'all most like about your style of choice? I am a shameless lover of TKD's needlessly flashy jumps and spins, myself.

I remember how I viewed boxing years ago, and why I liked it more than MMA. MMA fights and kickboxing fights always seemed so complicated. Far too much could happen for me to keep track of at the time.

Boxing seemed simpler, and as a result, purer. Two guys, trying to hurt each other with their fists. That's it.

As I got further into the sport an started practicing it myself the actual complexity of it became apparent, and drew me in even further. But I'll never forget the ideal in my head of boxing/fisticuffs/pugilism as the most straightforward means of personal combat I could envision.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »

Karate, the more traditionally-focused styles at least, are pretty heavily focused around kata, the prearranged sequences of moves and stuff that are often seen in training scenes in kung fu films and stuff. What I like about it is what's called bunkai, or breakdown/analysis as far as translation goes - basically figuring out what the hell you're doing in kata rather than just waving your hands around. Especially with the internet letting people put bunkai videos and stuff online, there's some really insightful stuff out there showing how the various kata can be used as drills for some ludicrously brutal techniques. They're almost like a series of textbooks, but instead of being written on paper, they're recorded in movement, which is a really cool concept to me.

Unfortunately, since there's no actual official database of this stuff, and it's mostly left up to the individual practitioner to figure it out for themselves, this can lead to a lot of the interpretations which are actually practical (karate actually seems to have a lot more in common with grappling-based arts than striking ones the more I look at it) being forgotten or misunderstood due to the lack of them being passed down properly, and more out-there, not really stress-tested stuff being implemented instead. So I guess the thing I like most about it is also what I most have problems with, since it's sometimes like trying to learn math from a French textbook that's been google translated into Italian when you only have a passing fluency in Spanish.
Sig! Onol

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:50 am »

I do Jiu Jitsu. Only been doing it since September, and only during term times since it's a university club, but it's fun, which given I generally hate exercise is nice.

One of the things I like about it is that unlike some other martial arts, the throws are taught from someone attempting an attack as opposed to being from a grip (Judo's the biggest culprit of this one so far as I can tell) which makes it a bit more realistic. I'd still not want to fight anyone that's learned Judo (or anyone, really), I suspect they'd be better at throws than me, but it's less realistic to start from a Judo grip.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: [1] 2 3