Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs  (Read 3345 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »

I do Jiu Jitsu. Only been doing it since September, and only during term times since it's a university club, but it's fun, which given I generally hate exercise is nice.

One of the things I like about it is that unlike some other martial arts, the throws are taught from someone attempting an attack as opposed to being from a grip (Judo's the biggest culprit of this one so far as I can tell) which makes it a bit more realistic. I'd still not want to fight anyone that's learned Judo (or anyone, really), I suspect they'd be better at throws than me, but it's less realistic to start from a Judo grip.
Yeah, a big part of that is that judo's very much a sport-based discipline, or at least that's how it's taught in a lot of clubs. Competition-focused and such - the main test of the techniques comes from when you're in a tournament and being grabbed in a judo grip, so that's how the instruction is structured as well. Jiu jitsu does tend to be more self-defense oriented, at least some of the other styles than BJJ (though honestly this is all massive generalization on my part, any style can be taught with any degree of sport vs actual combat focus, it all depends on the school and instructor), since it's where Judo originated from in the first place - Jigoro Kano just altered his style to remove the stuff that wasn't safe for a sportive sort of style.

Speaking as a karateka with some minor amount of judo/jiu jitsu experience, though, it isn't really that hard to learn a throw from a grip and then adapt it into initiating it off of a punch or something - it really just adds one extra step, from 1. grab 2. throw to 1. deflect/parry/counter attack 2. grab 3. throw.

...speaking generally, of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:36 am »

Actual technical question! I'm absurdly right-dominant, something that has only been made worse by fencing. It's not normally an issue, but my left-side blocks are noticeably weaker than my right blocks, and my kicks are just weird because I balance better when kicking with my left, but kick harder with my right.

Other than doing more left side drills, is there anything in particular you guys recommend for training that out? Most of what I do is bodyweight, and I'm not strong enough to do left-arm exercises. I've got a pair of light (1.5kg) dumbells too.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 01:33:31 pm »

Do even more left-side drills.

The thing about it is that ambidexterity can only really be taught by constantly doing stuff with your non-dominant hand/side. I'd imagine it's to do with the way your brain forges skill-related paths.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 01:34:51 pm »

Just looking for general strength increase on that side? Honestly, the simplest way to do it is just to drill the hell out of your techniques on that side, since I’d wager a big part of that weakness isn’t necessarily muscle difference so much as your body’s more used to efficiently transferring force with your right side rather than your left. Of course, that does take a while to balance out, but it’s the most effective way IMO. Other than that ... well, TKD and you mentioned kicks specifically so I imagine kicks are a big part of what you’re talking about, so balance drills and stuff where you have to shift your body weight to one leg and then another are always nice. Uh... I suppose if you decide to do weights you could increase your left side reps by like 1.5x, but I’d consult the Get Fit thread about that - I know pretty much zilch about weights myself.
Sig! Onol

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 04:53:38 am »

I'm not practicing any martial arts but I've been looking into HEMA for it's historical side. Since someone mentioned it I thought I'd share a nice resource about it for anyone that might be interested. 

Wiktenauer is a wiki style database that has "copies" from a lot of the surviving fencing manuals and manuscripts from 14th to 19th century, in both the original language and translated.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 10:19:07 am »

Another idle curiosity question! After my sabum-nim jokingly described World Taekwondo Federation as "Dojang Lite" because he got a black belt there in two years (vs. far longer for his ITF black belt), I got to wondering: how long do your various styles, dojos, dojangs, schools or temples take for gradings?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 03:11:30 pm »

Actual technical question! I'm absurdly right-dominant, something that has only been made worse by fencing. It's not normally an issue, but my left-side blocks are noticeably weaker than my right blocks, and my kicks are just weird because I balance better when kicking with my left, but kick harder with my right.

Other than doing more left side drills, is there anything in particular you guys recommend for training that out? Most of what I do is bodyweight, and I'm not strong enough to do left-arm exercises. I've got a pair of light (1.5kg) dumbells too.
Learn to juggle at least two objects on left-right passes or three on a full braided pass (which is what your brain will do after you get the reflexes for two object juggling > toss left, toss right, catch right, catch left, adding in a third object just kinda happens, I can't even explain it really) and you'll start to develop better muscle activation timing/awareness on your weaker side.

After that you can do slow punch drills  with weights, and I can't emphasize slow enough, throwing fast punches with weights is just going to put weird strain on your tendons, doing them slow is going to activate muscle groups better and you'll get full benefit from the withdrawal motion being controlled and steady.

Do straight shoulder height punches where you start with the weights drawn up near your chin, palms towards you, then slowly extend outwards and rotate the weight down and under weirdly so your elbow is pointing up and palm out, then pull it back in and rotate  the other way.

After a while doing this you should feel your shoulders getting weird muscle activation and fatigue, and you should resist any urge to speed up at this point, slow down if anything until you can't get a good form at all. Then do regular kata or bag work or whatever you have available at normal speeds without the weights.

The muscles engaged in a block are going to be bracing and pushing your elbows up and out usually, so you can do stuff like lean forwards and do regular fly (arms extended with elbows slightly bent, palms in, keep that position and pull back up towards your back and keep the form steady) and press type workouts but getting your left side muscle groups active enough to feel form errors is important before just trying to work the muscles to failure.

Don't try to juggle dumbbells btw, just a parlor trick, anything heavier than an orange is pointless because you want to build up your sense of what that side of your body is doing reflexively.

Oh, no real training beyond pursuing  a JKD sort of philosophy (longest weapon for closest target, simple movements, build core strength and push off it to propel strikes) and lots of fighting growing up due to not realizing my habit of squaring up with guys came off as a threat posture, but most of that was just defensive maneuvers and locks/holds as I wasn't really trying to break anybody so much as I was confused and eventually decided guys just picked fights normally until you demonstrate it is silly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 07:38:05 pm »

Another idle curiosity question! After my sabum-nim jokingly described World Taekwondo Federation as "Dojang Lite" because he got a black belt there in two years (vs. far longer for his ITF black belt), I got to wondering: how long do your various styles, dojos, dojangs, schools or temples take for gradings?
Depends on the belt one's going for - I got my first degree black belt in ...well, if you count from the time I started training, it was like 14 years, but I moved around a lot as a kid and couldn't train in one school for very long until a while had passed. So in the style I study right now, it took me probably ... 8.5, 9 years to get my black belt? Then a further 3 to get my second degree, during which I learned more up than I had up to that point.

Got my yellow belt in judo in about a month, if that counts as anything. I really haven't had the opportunity to train judo for a while now due to RL stuff making me too busy to go, so I wouldn't say my advancement rate is anything like what an actually committed judoka would be like.

I think it all depends on the rate at which the student absorbs the stuff being taught, honestly. I knew a guy who got his black belt within 3 years after starting, purely because he was so ridiculously dedicated to training - dude was going 6 days a week, at least 4 hours a day. So there's always gonna be exceptions along those lines.
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 01:07:04 am »

I found a martial arts blog a few days back and holy fuck, I must've had 50+ tabs open at one point just due to the density of articles I found interesting. I'm down to 25 now and my eyes are burning.

Link if any are interested. It is primarily karate-centered, just so yer aware of what it is.
Sig! Onol

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 01:41:42 am »

Been boxing for about 4 years, know my way around a few other martial arts, but am no expert. Recently tried to start boxing in the amateur league here but popped a rib in training and am now struggling with motivation.

For left side work, I'd recommend doing some practice with balnce. It'll help your kicks and stability should help strengthen your left side. Balance beams, walk on yoga blocks, stand on a ball, etc. Take care of your ankles but they're easy exercises to add to a warm up or cool down.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 10:32:00 am »

ptw
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 01:13:16 pm »

Bit weird to revive a year-and-a-half old thread to watch it, but whatever.

Also I've learned that the account reset I did was over a year and a half ago because of this.

Anyway, how is everyone getting on with their martial arts in the age of covid? I've not been able to do it for a year at this point. In fact, it was about this time last year I did my last bit before the covid lockdown happened.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »

That's a solid necro for a PTW.

I had to quit TKD at the start of last year because I finished university and my uni has one of the only dojangs in the city, the other being terribly far out of my way. I'm fencing 2-3 days a week though, if we allow for calling that an armed martial art. :P Don't know when competitions will start again, but I'm itching to put my practice to the test in a tournament.

I've also discovered that there's an interesting looking ninjutsu (or at least, Japanese martial arts being called ninjutsu, dunno how purist people are) dojo less far out of my way, which I'd love to at least visit some time. Not sure I have enough hours in the day for that and everything else I'd like to do, though...

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 01:37:56 pm »

The week before things locked down last spring, I had just purchased a new fencing mask, shoes, and some other stuff.  I was planning to go to a fencing club the next week to restart my sport from 15 years ago and get some good conditioning going.  Well, that didn't happen.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 03:12:03 pm »

Anyway, how is everyone getting on with their martial arts in the age of covid? I've not been able to do it for a year at this point. In fact, it was about this time last year I did my last bit before the covid lockdown happened.

My father, after a good stretch of quarentine, mostly practiced a lot of work with the staff, and a lot stuff with forms.  Little to no actual contact, and generally you have to change clothes at home.

It helps that the classes he attended are very very small.  His swordsmanship class is still cancelled, I believe the community center that held it is still closed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 [2] 3