Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: These dwarves and their needs...  (Read 3442 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
These dwarves and their needs...
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »

My dwarves often report unfulfilled needs, and I'm trying to figure out how to satisfy them:

"Unoccupied" - my dwarves all have labors. Does this including hauling? Do they need an actual craft?
"Being away from traditions" - I have no idea what this means.
"Unable to practice a craft" - I have outside citizens (soldiers, entertainers) with this. Are they going to go insane from lack of being able to craft?
"Acquire something" - The wiki suggests this can be solved by hauling a trade craft, but this seems rather convoluted. Any other way to solve this?
"Eat good meal" - *everyone* in my fort has minor unhappiness from this, despite me having plenty of prepared food. Do I need fine or lavish meals?
"Unable to pray to X" - I've got a small temple (3x1) for every god set up, yet almost all my citizens have some level of "unable to pray to X". What gives?

knainoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: These dwarves and their needs...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:17:46 am »

Being away from family and Eat good meal are broken at the moment. Not fix. Try having a no particular deity temple for unable to pray. Unoccupied needs active crafting.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:56 am »

Needs are broken as a whole, since dwarves require to be carefully puppeted in order to fulfill them - and even then, some can only be fulfilled if you are lucky.

"Unoccupied" - Requires working at any workshop. Not necessarily creative job, though - furnace operating is fine.
"Being away from traditions" - A dwarf needs to perform a specific musical/dance/poetic form (a one native to their civilization, iirc). Requires lots of free time for the dwarf, a temple or a tavern, and pure luck that they will perform (instead of watching) and perform what they need.
"Unable to practice a craft" - Requires performing a creative job at a workshop. Just one bad thought won't drive visitors insane, but it can add up to the other stuff.
"Acquire something" - Requires hauling a trinket (earring, amulet, crown, bracelet or ring). If you are lucky, a dwarf will appropriate what they are hauling, but it doesn't always happen: possibly conflicts with a different personality facet or value (e.g. a dwarf is greedy, but modest, thus, wants to aquire stuff, but avoids being extravagant). Not sure if this need can be fulfilled by aquiring new clothing or military equipment, but it is a possibility.
"Eat good meal" - Requires eating a meal that is (or contains) a food item from their preferences (such as giant slug eyes). Pure luck if you can grow any, gather any or buy any from caravans. Dwarves are only capable of locating their prefered food if it is in its pure form or when it is the titular ingredient of a prepared meal, thus, I recommend to disable cooking on those foods your dwarves prefer to make sure none goes to waste.
"Unable to pray to X" - Dwarves are bad at differentiating their gods and temples as of now. One possible workaround is to make all temples overlap, although, it is possible a dwarf would still think they want to pray to Y, while in reality they want to pray to X, leading them to getting stuck in a temple praying to Y, while still being worried about not worshiping X properly.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:41:39 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 11:53:40 am »

I use the wiki often for this.

In regards to the idea of military equipment fulfilling the 'clothing' or 'acquire' need, Weapons and Armor will not, but iirc Clothing items like cloaks appear to (this was observed for dwarfs with 'replace clothing' and uniforms consisting of metal and a leather cloak, who fulfilled "put on an exceptional item").

To fulful crafting needs, I avoid micromanagement with two things
- make sure each new dwarf gets some crafting labor assigned (many weaponsmiths in my forts)
- set up some extra workshops and have job manager orders to 'make 1 wood bolts per month', 'make 1 bone bolts per month', 'make 1 glass goblets per month', etc, for all the crafts. It is the shotgun approach but it seems to work; most dwarfs get to work their craft at least once a year.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 03:44:07 pm »

- "Acquire something" is the need to get trinkets, and the buggers can be picky and refuse to take something that's not of a favored material even if in the process of a nervous breakdown.
- "Being extravagant" is the need to get new clothes. Thus these are different needs, as describe by the wiki.
- I believe the latest info on meals is that favored ingredients do count regardless of where in the meal the are. Earlier research reported negative on that one because it wasn't understood that DF doesn't report the true requirement in many cases. When DF reports "sheep" it is actually a specific sheep part (such as the eyes), but you can't find out without using tools. DF also happily generates needs for parts that can't be generated because the creatures aren't large enough to produce those parts, and it can also generate needs for vermin parts (which can never be produced). Some of the impossible things can be brought by caravans, though.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:21:12 pm »

"Unable to pray to" can be impossible to fulfill.  Soldiers training on heavy rotation like all year round won't have the time.  Dwarves with absolutely nothing to do may choose to hang out in the tavern or library all day, and THEN complain they couldn't pray.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:14:34 pm »

"Unable to pray to" can be impossible to fulfill.

Impossible is a strong word, difficult is more accurate.

A quick suggestion (vary as needed) for difficult idle dwarfs who don't pray - lock them in a room with no other activity possible and designate it as a temple.  Just be sure not to let them die of thirst or starvation...

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 03:20:54 am »

Eat a good meal can often be easier satisfied by using the drink a dwarf likes as ingredient in cooking.

Meeting family can be forced with burrows.

Meeting friends works best in small taverns (socialization only counts to making friends when dwarves are right next to each other).

Upholding traditions works best in meeting areas that are big enough to perform dances and music.

Faith. I mostly use a large common temple for every faith with some smaller dedicated shrines. If a dwarf does not meet his religious needs I'll burrow him in a shrine.

Extravagant dwarves like expensive clothing. Dyed clothing and decorated armor give them happy thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:16:09 am »

Booze cooking is hard to arrange in vanilla, although there's less than 100 different kinds of booze (plus some milk), so booze cooking can be effective if you pull it off, as it's possible to actually hack together embarks that can produce all kind so booze (although mead can't be booze cooked, for some reason, and bumblebee mead can never be produced). I use a script to booze cook.

"Extravagant" is satisfied by regular masterworks clothing at least, and may be for lower qualities as well. I've never bothered with dyes or decorations.