Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v11.1: Cold-time Carving Hotfix  (Read 20630 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Hello erryone. I got another mod, this one with little fanfare and probably more effort than was needed.

Copy pasting the general readme here.

First, I want to thank the following people.

Teneb - Pointed out something I managed to miss multiple times on the wiki.
FantasticDorf - For providing a link to a contingency script.
burrito25man et al - For the script in question.
ZM5 - For being my guinea pig and testing all this shit out with me, and general spot-checking on raws for errors. Check out his mods. They make life miserable for your dudes in good and evil biomes, caverns, and just in general.
Hugo the Dwarf - Additional help in spot-checking raws for errors.

Spoiler: Readme copy-paste (click to show/hide)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk building materials and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 02:18:34 am »

How does the improvement reaction work?
Can you improve the same item with the same type of leather over and over again or just once?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:36:28 am »

The same item can be improved over and over again with the same material, and I don't know how to fix it so it won't try to do that with the same material (a longsword decorated with bands of  cow leather and cow leather being the first that springs to mind.)

I consider it to be a bug, but if you wanna do that, more power to you. It just takes whatever weapon or metal armor is available, grabs the other item  - leather, cloth, whatever, depending on the reaction - and the relevant worker sets to work.

Takes some micro, but it's something I thought would be nice for people who want to personalize thier militia's weapons and armor a bit more, like adding tiger fur from kazoo's furrier to helmets and mail shirts so you can still roll with them wearing tiger pelts without needing to use easily destroyed leather cloaks and hoods, to having your soldiers use weapons with custom leather grips and gem inlays of leather or gemstones they like for example, since otherwise you can only decorate them with bone and you can't customize metal armors with leather or cloth in vanilla either.

Also, I should add that storage sets come decorated with the metal used for fittings, and stone beds will even be decorated with the cloth used for bedding.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 05:17:13 am »

I mean, you can do that in vanilla already right? Encrust a statue with red chrysoberyl and then encrust the same statue with red chrysoberyl again. I don’t see that being much of a problem, especially since you can bypass the buggy priority parts of it by linking up a stockpile that only accepts non-improved items.

Nice mod, BTW, having diamonds and bands of tiger fur around your candy swords make them about 150% cooler than they already were. I’ll definitely try this mod out in my next world.

Oh, and does this include a reaction for making just those stone&cloth beds, without having to make a bedroom set? I think that would be pretty handy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:32:16 am »

It doesn't but it assumes you're churning them out to take care of migrants or suit up rental rooms in a vague hurry or to keep things uniform in material, but I suppose I can do that as well, and maybe include one for wood beds as well for consistency's sake.

The decorative reactions are also aimed solely at weapons and armor using materials or decorations they otherwise can't get. I just included the decorations on storage sets and beds because I felt it'd be a nice bit of attention to detail to have the metals or cloth used for fittings and bedding be visible in the item descriptions somehow.

Also thought of maybe including bulk reactions for making ceramic and glass blocks and bedroom stuff, though I dunno if those'd warrant thier own shops or not (I know I can just add the claw ones to the kiln, but dunno if the same is true of the glass furnace.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:58:09 am »

Righto lads and lasses, got an update to this mod for you.

VERSION TWO NOW UP

v2, dubbed by me as the "Emergency Arsenal" update, is aimed squarely at some uncovered materials for bulk construction materials, as well as expanding options for zerg rushes and ammo production in the absence of quality smiths or lacking metallic resources, and allowing for making bulk loads of clothing. In theory, these should all be found in the vanilla workshops unless indicated here.

- Added new reactions that allow for crafting beds from ceramics, glass, metal, and stone plus some cloth at the respective workshops. [METALSMITH FORGE, KILN, GLASS FURNACE, MASON WORKSHOP]
 -- Metal beds can be made from Aluminum, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Iron, Copper, and Adamantine.
- Added bulk blockmaking for cermaics and all types of glass. Bulk block reactions require two additional units of fuel, but I have no idea how to work around this for powered furnaces. [KILN, GLASS FURNACE]
- Sawmill can now mass produce menacing spikes and shields in batches of 10 and 6 respectively. [SAWMILL]
- Woodcrafters can now craft wooden spears and maces in batches of 10 and 6 respectively from single logs. [CRAFTSMAN WORKSHOP]
- Stonecrafters can now craft stone maces and war hammers in batches of 6 from a single boulder and log, as well as make obsidian bolts from one obsidian boulder and one log in batches of 30. [CRAFTSMAN WORKSHOP]
- Leatherworkers can now make basic clothing sets from 3 pieces of leather (shirt, trousers, shoes.) [LEATHER WORKS]
- Leatherworkers can now make very basic leather armor from 3 pieces of leather (3 helms, 3 armor.) [LEATHER WORKS]
- Clothiers can now make a basic set of clothing from three bolts of cloth. [CLOTHIER]
- Glassmakers can produce glass-tipped ammo in each glass type from the usual materials and a log. [GLASS FURNACE]

If there's demand for it, I'll add additional bed reactions for the smith, but right now it's limited to the one stupidly common metal, and the most valuable non-alloys. There'll also be an updated patch added later for ZM's packs.

The main purpose of the weapon and armor reactions is for rapidly equipping a force on a budget. A well made stone club or wooden spear and a leather cuirass and helmet are better than no weapon or  armor at all.

Special thanks to Hugo The Dwarf for helping with the sand reactions and doing some spot-testing, and ZM5 for being the guinea pig for this.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

The bulk cloth/leather clothing reactions should help a lot in my forts. I often notice my citizens walking around partially exposed since I forget to make enough pants or chest clothing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v2: Emergency Arsenal
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 01:40:22 pm »

Right, so. Things planned for the next update. Figure I could use some input from the wider forum. My main goal is to either make certain things easier (bulk blocks for building, bulk alloys to try and provide a greater supply to meet item needs and wealth boosting, bulk clothing) permit things not otherwise possible (metal-frame beds, stone clubs and hammers,) or improve access to materials (stone-to-sand.)

With that in mind, the following things are planned for sure.

Weapons: Adding obsidian spears and axes, and allowing glass axes, spears, and swords, to complement the glass and obsidian bolts.
Reactions: The bulk stone-cutting reactions will be changed to only take worthless stone, so they don't go grabbing your coal or iron ore or some such. I don't know how I didn't regist that as being the issue when I first made the mod when I caught my stonecutters trying to cut coal.
Furniture: Wood statues. I can't believe I forgot that.

Gem items?: While I've added reactions to allow one to bling out thier weapons and armor with gems, what do you guys think of this? They wouldn't be particularly good I imagine, but variety is the spice of death. Likewise furniture could potentially be useful, boosting value in the case of precious gems, and allowing one to pamper their dwarves with furniture made of gems they like elsewise.

Like glass and obsidian, gem weapons and ammo would take a unit of gems and a log and produce spears, axes, swords, and bolts (with bolts being in batches of 30.)

These aren't necessarily accurate, but they expand the usefulness of these materials and add some more dye options besides blue, red and green + one stupidly dangerous black, and don't demand too many more reactions. For these it's mainly that to implement them demands tampering with vanilla files, which may make integration with other mods, such as Revised or Kazoo's Furrier and Silk Egg mods (especially Revised,) more difficult.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v2: Emergency Arsenal
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »

I think the vanilla-tampering stuff could be a side addon for those who want it.
Definitely agree with stuff like reactions for gem figurines, furniture and the like though.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v3: The Cobalt Addon
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 03:21:34 pm »

Link in the OP is updated. I bring you, drum roll please...

...v3, "The Cobalt Addon," mainly just expands cobaltite's usability as more than a dark blue rock, however this is entirely optional, and will likely severely clutter the glass furnace as I have no idea how to make categories or if it's even possible. The actual cobalt addon is entirely optional for those who don't want it, and sequestered in in its own folder so it's not added by accident.

- Cobaltite may be smelted into Cobalt, an iron-grade dark blue metal useable for all the normal stuff. It retains its dark blue color for visual distinctiveness. [SMELTER, METALSMITH'S FORGE]
- Cobaltite can also be used with sand to make Cobalt Glass, a dark blue glass-type material as valuable as clear glass, but minus the pearlash requirement. [GLASS FURNACE]
-- It can be made into the following things: Rough cobalt glass, floodgates, statues, barrels, chests, cabinets, doors, beds (with some cloth,) armor stands, weapon racks, thrones, tables, coffins, most trap components, swords, spears, axes, and bolts. It's not produced as pipe sections or corkscrews because presumably you'll be using trash materials for that.
-- Like their vanilla glass and obsidian counterparts, ammo and weapons require a log in thier creation.

This update also allows for the following, per v2 budget weapons/glass focus, as well as some gem-related extras.

- Vanilla glass types can now be used to make swords, spears, and axes, to complement the creation of glass bolts. [GLASS FURNACE]
- Obsidian can now be used to make spears and axes as well, to complement the swords and bolts. [CRAFTSMAN WORKSHOP]
- Gems can now be made into full bedroom sets and individual beds with some cloth. It will take any gem and output them on a per-gem material basis (so say, emerald, red pyrope, and citrine go in, an emerald door, red pyrope chest, and citrine bed decorated with cloth come out.)[JOINER'S WORKSHOP]
- Gems may also be made into statues, and directly into crafts [CRAFTSMAN WORKSHOP]
- The Stonecutter shouldn't take economic stone anymore unless you allow it to from the stone screen, per normal stuff. [bug fix, STONECUTTER]

NOTICE: Currently the gem reaction is being a bit derpy and will only output 1-3 large gems. I dunno how to fix this, but I'll figure something out. May have to just bite the bullet and do individual craft reactions, even though that will severely clutter things even more unless I add a new building.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v3: The Cobalt Addon
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:56:49 am »

Doot do doooooo! Another update.

The download link is now updated. This one's a bit more.... Maybe excessive, as it adds some extra shit.

V4 Changelog

v4, the Casting Call update, is so named because a large portion of the new reactions take place at the smelter. This also comes with a small number of flavor and variety things meant to diversify your civ's wardrobe, and Arctic Additions by Malecus, to make colder biomes much more inviting by increasing the variety of animals to be encountered and adding more varied plants and grasses.

- Plank burning. Taking batches of 4 planks produced by the sawmill and one unit of fuel to the wood burner will yield 4 charcoal, a net yield of +3. It's less efficent than even lignite, but in the absence of coal or lignite and for people not in the mood to rush magma, it's still more efficent than the usual 1:1 the wood furnace would otherwise output. Obviously, a wood burner handles this task. [WOOD FURNACE]

- Barrel water. Stores potable water in barrels, which will be stored in any drink-accepting stockpile. Brewers handle this job. While free, needing only a barrel to fill, water provides no mood buffs making it really only suitable for staving off death by dehydration during a fermentable crop shortage, or as something to break up the monotony of plump helmet wine slightly. [STILL]
- Bucket water. Should wells not be available, the local river is frozen, or the caverns inaccessible, a bucket can be filled with potable water for patients and prisoners by a brewer. [STILL]
- Dough production. If you're like me, then you've wanted to make use of flour as a highly efficient food source. However, you may find your chefs apparently repulsed by the idea of using flour unless forced to do so. This fixes that to an extent, converting a bag of flour into 15 flour material cheese. This cheese still needs further cooking to be edible, but at least now the chefs won't turn thier nose up at it until there's literally nothing else available. Be advised, this may lead to inedible dye cheese if not excluded from your food stockpiles for whatever reason. [KITCHEN]
- Cast anvils from steel an iron. Mainly for minimalist or budget starts, freeing up points an anvil would normally take up without forcing you to wait until a caravan comes. Casts an anvil from three bars of iron or steel using a blacksmith. [SMELTER]

And of course, this wouldn't be a mod by me without military concerns being addressed. All of the following new things take place at the SMELTER and instead will denote what skill is used to make them.

- Cast blunt weapons from gold and platinum. For the price of a single bar and some leather, you can now bring the ultimate in bling of war to the field! Without derpy shit like gold swords and platinum picks being around. They also receive a leather decoration from the leather used for their grips. [WEAPONSMITH]
- Bulk-cast metal ammo. From all the usual suspects (copper, silver, bronze, iron, and steel,) plus a log, you receive two stacks of 30 bolts, resulting in a gain of +35 bolts ("solid metal" stacks are made in groups of 25 normally.) This is mainly to allow for the employment of hunters and the like with ammo that can hurt their prey, but should be useful for mass fielding crossbowmen in general as well. [WEAPONSMITH]

OPTIONAL ADDON - ARCTIC ADDITIONS

Information pertaining to Arctic Additions can be found here, and credit goes to Malecus for the things used. The version utilized by this mod does not include the Jotunn invader civ. It does make the flora and fauna more interesting in cold biomes, to make settling there more appealing.

OPTIONAL ADDON - NECKWEAR
Adds some new items, mostly to provide a bit mroe variety in your peoples' wardrobes, and adding a new use for chains.

- Dogtags are produced in batches of 10 from any chain and a bar of any metal. Intended to be given to soldiers. [METALCRAFTER]
- Heavy neckchains are made in batches of 3 from any chain. [METALCRAFTER]
- Neckalces are produced in batches of 6 from any chain. [METALCRAFTER]
- Pendants come in the flavors of Sword, Axe, Hammer, Pick, Anvil, and Gear, from the usual armor metals. [ARMORER]

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO ZM5 AND HUGO_THE_DWARF. They did a bunch of bug-spotting for me, more than they usually do, this time around.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v4: Casting Call
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:52 am »

Very nice! Gonna try to get compatible ammo-making reactions for modded materials from my packs done sometime soon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Utility Mod - Bulk materials and more - v5: We Dye Together
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 02:23:40 pm »

UPDATE! Download as been updated as well.

v5, We Dye Together, Shield Brothers

This update is very small, but I wanted to improve the options for making my foightan dorfs' equipment even more special. As such, this update focuses on an underutilized industry: Dye! And shield decorations.

It adds a new workshop, the shield painter's stand, which has a few functions. Primarily, it produces the new dyes, and handles adding decorations and paint to shields. The dyes added are as follows, and handled here so as to not clutter the quern. While the main purpose is for shield decorating, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from just using them for some color variety in your dye industry. :)

Crimson - Made from Hematite.
Light Gray - Made from Pig Tails.
Light Violet - Made from Plump Helmets.
Ochre - Made from Limonite.
Purple Ochre - Made from Oil, Hematite, and Cobaltite (not realistic, but was the easiest thing I could think of; blue and red make purple after all!)
Vermilion - Made from Cinnabar.

Shield painting uses these and vanilla dyes (emerald, dimple, sliver, and redroot) to add a dye decoration to shields. [USES DYER SKILL]
The shield stand also handles adding cloth and leather backings and straps (decoration and hanging rings) to shields. [USES CLOTHIER AND LEATHERWORKING SKILLS RESPECTIVELY]

It should be noted this only accepts vanilla shields at present, not bucklers or other shield types. If there's demand for it, I'll make the alteration for it to just take any shield-type item laying around.

Patches have also been provided for Fungus Expansion and ZM5's Warcraft Pack for the dyes, as mentioned in the readme.

HUGE THANKS TO ZM5 AND HUGO_THE_DWARF! Those two did 95% of the leg work on testing and catching bugs/typos. You guys are great.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 02:37:01 pm »

Neato, gonna be handy for RP purposes and better visualized uniforms.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 08:59:04 pm »

Hello all, we got us another thing.

V6 Wonders of Woodworking

This time around it's an extremely basic set of reactions, most of them relating to wood (hence the name,) that simply make batches of tables and chairs from wood and stone. This is to help with getting dining rooms, noble's quarters, and taverns situated quickly, as well as wood statues and slabs being a thing.

Wooden breastplates can also be made with this update, to supplement the similar budget/zerg-rush weapon options. Who knows, it may be the difference between just broken rib and those ribs being driven into your dudes' lungs.

Wood Statues may now be made at the carpenter workshop [CARPENTRY, CARPENTER WORKSHOP]
Wood Slabs may now be made at the carpenter workshop [CARPENTRY, CARPENTER WORKSHOP]
Sets of tables and chairs can be made at the Joiner's Workshop.  Both also have the option of using cloth for cushioned )decorated) chairs. [CARPENTRY OR MASONRY, JOINER'S WORKSHOP]
Breastplates can be made in groups of three from a log (it's better than nothing in a pinch.) [CRAFTSMAN WORKSHOP, WOODCRAFTING]

I also added an entity tag file for Fungus Expansion, thought I did that in v5 but hadn't.

Everything should work fine, seeing as I copied and edited existing reactions that have been confirmed working, but do let me know if I accidentally left an output as the wrong listing or something.

EDIT: Double checked, had a bad feeling. Accidentally left the table reaction for stone tables with its copy-pasted name like a dunce. Fixed now.
Pages: [1] 2 3