Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! SDL initialization failure: No available video device  (Read 1393 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not putting this in bug reports because I believe it to be a problem with my computer and not a bug.

Hello! I am playing on Linux and only use TEXT mode, but I would like to use DFHack, which I cannot figure out how to operate with TEXT mode. Since TEXT mode and DFHack both run in the terminal, when running DFHack normally, I cannot use DFHack but can play Dwarf Fortress. I have tried running DFHack headless (as described in the docs), which works in that it allows me to use the DFHack terminal, but then I cannot play Dwarf Fortress. Is there a way I can get DFHack to work with TEXT mode?

If not, then how do I fix this?

Whenever running Dwarf Fortress (or DFHack) in any non-TEXT mode, the terminal pops up (completely black), as well as a separate window entitled "Error" reading "SDL initialization failure: No available video device". I have searched online, to no avail. This is why I only use TEXT mode. Likely relevant, I think, is that I am on Linux (specifically, the Lubuntu distribution of Ubuntu).
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Help! SDL initialization failure: No available video device
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:09:22 am »

Did you install libsdl, version 1.2 or higher? Because that's the one thing I always have to install to run DF on a fresh ubuntu-like install. Check the 'readme.linux' file for the other libraries that might be needed.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:51:45 am »

Did you install libsdl, version 1.2 or higher? Because that's the one thing I always have to install to run DF on a fresh ubuntu-like install. Check the 'readme.linux' file for the other libraries that might be needed.
Yes, it is installed.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 04:40:00 pm »

Have you looked here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation

It specifically mentions "If you are getting errors about missing SDL_image libraries (etc.) then you simply need to install them."  Figuring out the specific libraries needed is required... although there should be some hints on the above page - try those suggested for Debian-based, or whatever their near equivalents are on Lubuntu. 

In general there is no reason DF shouldn't be able to run on linux... or to turn that around, there are lots of linux users who happily run DF (and DFHack).  :)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »

Thanks; I have figured the problem out.

I had to use 32bit DF, despite that I am almost certain the computer is 64bit. Maybe because I didn't install the right libraries for 64bit, or maybe I'm just an idiot. Either way, I am happy now.