Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hex and Curses with their variations  (Read 1144 times)

Alfolgolin Hornflayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hex and Curses with their variations
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:50:52 pm »

Hello everyone.
My suggestion is to add Curses in the game.
Its better to add some variations, depending on gain situation and their effects. Here few examples:
Near-Death Curse - Can be used by intelligent humanoids upon dying by someone's hand (like your Dwarf Warriors). This curse affect only killer. It can / made killer suffer from temporary weakness / infect killer with random disease / make killer suffer from bad troughts. Effect can be removed somehow easy, but require something like totems (maybe new mechanics)

Battle Curses - Curses that can be used when in battle to make opponent suffer from strong short curses that can affect opponent battle/escape abilities or increase group bad trought. Those effects dissapear with end of battle or caster dying

Spirits Curse - Curses that can be gained, when dwarfs defiles ancient stuffs. Can affect more than 1 dwarf at the same time. These curses last longer and can be removed somehow with something, but its harder than basic curses. Maybe somehow calm spirits.

God Curse - Most Strongest Curse that affect every dwarf in fortress and can be removed only with sacrifice of strong enemy. Those curse can affect Dwarf Luck and Strongly increase bad trought count (You own god curses you). Those curses happens if your dwarfs kills their own kind (like killing immigrants too often)

Envy Curse - Your Sad Dwarfs can sometime curse your Happy Dwarfs or Poor Dwarfs can sometime your Nobles if Fortress suffer from bad economy. Those curses make their target suffer from bad luck, but makes caster gets Good Troughts. When caster recover from his sadness those curses vanishes.

Silly Curses - Like Envy curses, but just makes target a little sad and caster gain no happy trought income. These happens when everything alright, just few dwarfes fells worse than another. Also can be casted by Sad/Unhappy Merchants when you bad at trading.

There might be a lot of stupid mistakes because my english skills at ~low level + im pretty new at this game

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hex and Curses with their variations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:56:09 pm »

I was also thinking about this the other day, I think that procedurally generated curses would be great, so you can get extreme, minor, helpful, and bizarre curses.  I was mostly thinking of cursed items and areas, but things like cursed wearable items that can't be removed with randomized effects, anything from paralysis, psychopathy, melancholy, sleeping spells, to just things like syndromes.   

Then you can just go nuts, I think the more unpredictable the better:
Just plain strange effects like a vest that makes the wearer so ugly that people vomit at their sight.
Transmutation spells, or illusion curses on items, like a pair of killer socks that makes everyone else in the fort think a dwarf is a Giant Cave Spider, or actually turns them into one, but they still act like a milker.
A hat that makes the wearer talk backwards and nobody can understand, or utterances so tehy can only speak to kobolds.
A cursed workshop that only churns out cursed items and you have to figure out why all your shoes are reciting poetry and making the dwarves wearing them walk on their hands.
A fort that makes residents aquatic slowly, so you have to flood your fort to survive.
Beds that run away from their owners.
A pick that every time it mines a block a mined tile somewhere else is replaced with that stone.
A masterwork crossbow that can only shoot cats (instead of bolts).
A Artifact turban that never stops bleeding.
An earring that inverses all stats so a legendary minor that's a novice wrestler becomes a legendary wrestler and a novice minor. 
Food that makes dwarves float but also makes doing just about anything impossible because physics.
A goblet that turns all alcohol in itself into salt water, or milk, or sand.
An immovable barrel of goblin sweat that can't be dumped but has to be drank to empty it (or it slowly converts liquids around it into more goblin sweat).
An axe that cries every time it cuts a tree down. 
A door you have to complement to open. 
Gloves with a randomized Midas touch- gold, silver, slime, hair, clay.
A cloak that makes the wearer age backwards.
A cursed cavern that turns all dwarves that enter it into elves and looks like a forest retreat.
A meal that the dwarf can never stop eating. 
Alcohol that makes any drinker permanently drunk.
A workshop that always creates a masterwork wooden sword no matter what you order and what's used.
A beast who's bite/dust/whatever permanently turns everyone into statues on the full moon.
Threads that whisper insults and drive dwarves with stitches crazy, or whisper nice things and everyone is happier when injured.
A cursed woodland that turns anyone felling a tree into a replacement tree. 
A curse that turns dwarves into their favorite or least favorite animal every time they are caught in the rain.
A shirt that makes the wearer's family invisible to them.
A weapon that makes any user a member of the civ that created it (just while using it).
A wheelbarrow that never stops picking items up and creating stockpiles you didn't ask for.
A fort curse that pulls a random lever every week or month, or raises/lowers bridges.
A cursed engraver that anything they engrave becomes real - engrave cheese, wall turns into cheese, engrave a FB killing a dwarf, you have a FB inside the fort and a corpse.
A workshop that any time it produces a masterwork a siege appears.
A weapon that can only kill humans.
A pasture that makes dwarves passing through think they are livestock.
Caverns cursed with permanent miasma clouds, or snot rain or whatever evil biome things.
An artifact crown that makes anyone wearing it the king, and therefore is quite coveted and dangerous to possess.
A fort cursed by a god of debauchery that turns anyone wearing clothes into vermin.
A fort cursed by a god of labor that prevents anyone from taking time off no matter how stressed they get.
A kitchen that churns out food that makes the eater hungrier.
A fort that turns all humanoids into fluffy wamblers during the full moon or certain months of the year, taking all control away from the player until they turn back.

I'll stop, I could do this all day.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »

I expect mythgen will have forms of magic that could be considered "curses", but they'll be randomly generated like everything else.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:25:53 am »

I was also thinking about this the other day, I think that procedurally generated curses would be great, so you can get extreme, minor, helpful, and bizarre curses.  I was mostly thinking of cursed items and areas, but things like cursed wearable items that can't be removed with randomized effects, anything from paralysis, psychopathy, melancholy, sleeping spells, to just things like syndromes.   

Then you can just go nuts, I think the more unpredictable the better:
Just plain strange effects like a vest that makes the wearer so ugly that people vomit at their sight.
Transmutation spells, or illusion curses on items, like a pair of killer socks that makes everyone else in the fort think a dwarf is a Giant Cave Spider, or actually turns them into one, but they still act like a milker.
A hat that makes the wearer talk backwards and nobody can understand, or utterances so tehy can only speak to kobolds.
A cursed workshop that only churns out cursed items and you have to figure out why all your shoes are reciting poetry and making the dwarves wearing them walk on their hands.
A fort that makes residents aquatic slowly, so you have to flood your fort to survive.
Beds that run away from their owners.
A pick that every time it mines a block a mined tile somewhere else is replaced with that stone.
A masterwork crossbow that can only shoot cats (instead of bolts).
A Artifact turban that never stops bleeding.
An earring that inverses all stats so a legendary minor that's a novice wrestler becomes a legendary wrestler and a novice minor. 
Food that makes dwarves float but also makes doing just about anything impossible because physics.
A goblet that turns all alcohol in itself into salt water, or milk, or sand.
An immovable barrel of goblin sweat that can't be dumped but has to be drank to empty it (or it slowly converts liquids around it into more goblin sweat).
An axe that cries every time it cuts a tree down. 
A door you have to complement to open. 
Gloves with a randomized Midas touch- gold, silver, slime, hair, clay.
A cloak that makes the wearer age backwards.
A cursed cavern that turns all dwarves that enter it into elves and looks like a forest retreat.
A meal that the dwarf can never stop eating. 
Alcohol that makes any drinker permanently drunk.
A workshop that always creates a masterwork wooden sword no matter what you order and what's used.
A beast who's bite/dust/whatever permanently turns everyone into statues on the full moon.
Threads that whisper insults and drive dwarves with stitches crazy, or whisper nice things and everyone is happier when injured.
A cursed woodland that turns anyone felling a tree into a replacement tree. 
A curse that turns dwarves into their favorite or least favorite animal every time they are caught in the rain.
A shirt that makes the wearer's family invisible to them.
A weapon that makes any user a member of the civ that created it (just while using it).
A wheelbarrow that never stops picking items up and creating stockpiles you didn't ask for.
A fort curse that pulls a random lever every week or month, or raises/lowers bridges.
A cursed engraver that anything they engrave becomes real - engrave cheese, wall turns into cheese, engrave a FB killing a dwarf, you have a FB inside the fort and a corpse.
A workshop that any time it produces a masterwork a siege appears.
A weapon that can only kill humans.
A pasture that makes dwarves passing through think they are livestock.
Caverns cursed with permanent miasma clouds, or snot rain or whatever evil biome things.
An artifact crown that makes anyone wearing it the king, and therefore is quite coveted and dangerous to possess.
A fort cursed by a god of debauchery that turns anyone wearing clothes into vermin.
A fort cursed by a god of labor that prevents anyone from taking time off no matter how stressed they get.
A kitchen that churns out food that makes the eater hungrier.
A fort that turns all humanoids into fluffy wamblers during the full moon or certain months of the year, taking all control away from the player until they turn back.

I'll stop, I could do this all day.
Better than fireball wizards. Some ideas is good.