Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: insurgency on the isles of Elathu Adela  (Read 1292 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
insurgency on the isles of Elathu Adela
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:00:40 pm »

Greetings Dwarf Lords! Let me tell you a tale of Toil and Intrigue!

Far away, in the Gulf of Lutes, lie the islands of Elathu Adela, the Domain of Wonder! It all began with seven Dwarves plotting to kill their own king, for their king was no Dwarf, but an immortal goblin...

Hi everyone! You can call me DrCyano.

I'm new to the Dwarf Fortress community, but I was inspired by the story of Roomcarnage, so I decided to document my Dwarf Fortress v0.44.12 game. My goal within the game was to try to change the course of history in a Dwarf Fortress world using the new pillaging mechanics. I ended up creating a world where the ruler of the Dwarven civilization is a goblin for some reason, and thus began my quest to kill said king and wage war against that goblin's original civilization. The results have been !!fun!!

I'm using Google slides to document the game, because its easier for me to use than Imgur (plus I don't have an Imgur account), and it handles animated gif images quite nicely.

I play using original ASCII graphics, with mouse support provided by DFHack. I also use a number of other UI improvement utilities from DFHack (especially the Dwarf labor manipulator [ u ] -> [ l ]). I also have clothing and corpse deterioration enabled, which I think will make forgotten clothes and bones eventually disappear, keeping the game from slowing down too much over time. The only "cheating" tool I'm using from DFHack is seedwatch, and honestly it hasn't really done much for me so I might stop using it.

Chapters
Chapter 1: Creating the World
Chapter 2: Digging a Dwarf Hole
Chapter 3: The Search for Metal
Chapter 4: Change of Plans
Chapter 5: Unwelcome Guests
...to be continued...

World Information
World-Gen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
data/init/init.txt
data/init/d_init.txt
DFHack.init:
onLoad.init:
mapLoad.init:
mapUnload.init:
onUnload.init:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:48:56 am by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: insurgency on the isles of Elathu Adela
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:27:36 am »

Holy heck that's a huge goblin civ, don't think I've seen one that large before, just because of the borderline impracticality and excessiveness of getting one like that. I should try it sometime; I bet your sieges will get massive, at least if you don't have the normal siege size cap. At least you won't run out of goblins any time soon.

Speaking of which, do you intend to run this for the long term or will you be taking the classic approach? Either way, I look fowards to seeing the results! Good luck murdering goblins!

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 12:51:11 am »

Population Figures
I've not had goblin sieges before (they keep making peace in my worlds for some reason). I plan to keep this game going over multiple fortresses. I'll retire each after they serve their purpose, as my real goal is to make a mark in the world's history.

I've added my init files so you can see if I made any changes (I think I slightly adjusted the child and population caps, but nothing major). What's the default siege cap?

Also, any advice for finding iron ore?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:07:26 am by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 02:00:44 am »

Default siege cap is 80, I think. I normally turn it up to like 400, but until recently I've had to restrict the size and populations of my worlds pretty heavily cause of computer issues.

As for finding iron, it's mostly luck. Iron is typically a shallow metal, though I think hematite can rarely be a deep metal. Iron also tends to be sedimentary, so embarking on aquifers can help, as the stone layers that can support aquifers are all sedimentary. Note that aquifers can be entirely in the dirt, so it's not a guarantee of sediments. Also, I'll note you embarked somewhere with only one deep metal and one shallow metal, which tends to be a bad idea when you're hunting for specific ores.

Otherwise, you could use DFhack's embark-assistant to search for sites with iron. If you don't, I suggest embarking with a hefty load of ores for bronze-making, since ore is cheap to bring along. Tin can be a blessing on an embark, and if you risk it with the you-know-what to make your weapons, you'll be well enough off for equipment to harvest goblinite for eventual steel armor. Sucks that you don't even have tetrahedrite, but I imagine you'll have to lay low for a few years to train soldiers anyways, so you can probably order enough iron and copper to make a decent patchwork of gear. Anvils are your friend, buy em all.

Lastly, 10/10 make your ultimate goal to send the world into the age of the dwarf.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:45:25 am »

The revolution continues! Here's chapter 4:

Chapter 4: Change of Plans

In this episode, I discover the easiest way to deal with unhappy dwarves, make the world's least safe staircase, and play with water (with !fun! results).

So far, the greatest threat to the fortress has been my bad architecture ideas. Any bets on what my next screw-up will be?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 05:48:32 am »

Another chapter in this saga:
Chapter 5: Unwelcome Guests

Something strange happened: One of my Dwarves ignored all orders. She ignored burrow assignments, military alerts, and even direct squad orders. Unfortunately, she also got bit by a werehyena and thus I was unable to separate her from teh other Dwarves. She had a really fancy title of Divine Quake-Deity of Earth. I've never seen such disobedience in a Dwarf before. What causes this?