Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.12] Vanilla Tileset Creature Base Mod  (Read 1993 times)

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Vanilla Tileset Creature Base Mod
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:38:36 pm »

The goal of this mod is to provide a framework to more easily change tilesets without affecting creature RAWs which may be modded and overwritten when installing a new tileset. Included are all the creature RAWs edited to support this, a creature variation for simplicity and the tileset information for vanilla, and the most recent versions of the Phoebus and Spacefox tilesets I could find.

To change the tiles all that's need is the corresponding creature_zzz_tileset_info_*.txt; delete or change the extensions of other variants to avoid errors. It is vitally important that the tileset info file is the last creature_*.txt file when listed alphabetically.

Potential drawback can include longer loading times, as all creatures are technically created twice.

To support this mod, all that would needed is to include a tileset info file.

To Install: Copy into /raw/objects and overwrite. Or WinMerge it. Whatever floats your boat.
WARNING: It is intended and required to overwrite the default vanilla RAWs for this mod to work.

I made this for myself, but I hope other people find a use for this mod.

DOWNLOAD LINK HERE (DFFD):http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14463
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:40:09 pm by Hetsin »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [44.12] Vanilla Tileset Creature Base Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:48:27 pm »

Hmm.. I would have figured a Python script, or some other stand-alone scripting langauge or even an application would be better sorted for this.

Say it's able to read the current raw files, and map what TILE is being used by something in the raws, then have the application/script be able to go through and update all those references to what they should be based on the attached tileset.

because it's not just creatures that a graphics/tileset could alter. It could be tools, inorganic layers, plants, or even changes to the init_d for things like tracks, tree tiles, pillar tiles.

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Vanilla Tileset Creature Base Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:21:30 pm »

Basically this came about because I grew frustrated using a modded LNP install and losing the changes when changing tilesets. Creatures seem to be by far the most modded things, if you exclude total conversions. And while a small program would be far more flexible, a simple txt file that you can swap out representing the most commonly changed entries seems, well, simpler to me.