Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see expanded upon in this mod? (read POLL DETAILS at the bottom of the first post)

Diseases
- 9 (17%)
Poisons
- 12 (22.6%)
Drugs
- 10 (18.9%)
Demonic Blessings & Curses
- 18 (34%)
Other (comment suggestion)
- 4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [47.04] Goblin Fortress v2.2  (Read 25580 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[47.04] Goblin Fortress v2.2
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:25:18 pm »

Download [47.04] Goblin Fortress v2.2

The goblin hordes are ready for war!

This mod adds a comprehensive playable goblin race without changing any vanilla files.

Goblins are now a tribal race. Every goblin civilization is made up of tribes ruled by Goblin Chieftains. Their warriors are led by War Chiefs and their medical and spiritual needs are met by Shamans. Tribes are ruthless and aggressive and fight among themselves as often as they fight the other civilizations. Occasionally a Goblin King will unite a few goblin tribes but civil wars remain rampant.

The goblins have all of the features that dwarves have, but are supposed to feel like a completely different experience. They are meant to be played as violent, greedy, war driven and vile creatures. A consistent meat source is required for food and a bone supply is desired for their labors.

Current Features:
> Goblins: Carnivores, Large Litters, Short Child Duration, War Driven
> Pets: Cave Rats, Beak Dogs, Worgs (Milkable and Shearable), Giant Cave Spiders, Giant Cave Bats, Cave Crocodiles, Trolls, Ogres, Dwarf Slaves, Human Slaves, Elf Slaves, Goblin Slaves
> Nobility: King, Tribal Chieftains, War Chiefs, Shamans
• Goblin King: Goblin Kings are demanding, greedy and ruthless rulers that rule under a demon overlord.
• Tribal Chieftain: Tribal Chieftains rule over goblin tribes. They are responsible for all management, bookkeeping and broker jobs. They are also responsible for law making and keeping order in a fortress. A Goblin King will replace a Tribal Chieftain.
• Shaman: Shamans are spiritual and medical healers. They counsel upset goblins and heal the wounded.
• War Chief: War Chiefs are military commanders that also give out punishments to citizens.
> Diseases: Cave Blight, Cave Lice, Cave Mites, Prions Disease
> Meat Alcohol
> Stone Anvils
> Bone Building Materials
> Bone Furniture
> Bone Weapons and Armor
> Patrolling hostile goblin armies during gameplay
> Constant conflict and war (including civil wars between tribes)

Starter Guide:
This is a generic step by step list to get you started with this mod. It is only a suggested starter guide.
1. Set the world starting age to at least year 125.
2. Take the following at embark (included in embark profile):
  • 7 Copper Picks
  • 3 Copper Axe
  • 50 Copper Bars
  • 11 Cave Rat Meat
  • 60 Cave Rats
  • 5 Beak Dogs
  • 10 Human Slaves
3. Turn gather refuse (and vermin remains) from outside on.
4. Assign a tribal chieftain and then (close/open nobility screen) assign a shaman and war chief.
* Consider giving nicknames to these goblins for easy future reference.
5. Butcher 10 cave rats.
6. Build a bedroom, office and tomb for the tribal chieftain.
* Bone Furniture is much more valuable to goblins than wood or stone.
* Bone Building Materials and Furniture can be created at the Bonecarver's Workshop.
7. Build a bedroom and tomb for the shaman and war chief
8. Raid! Pillage! Attack! (anyone and everyone)
* Stone anvils can be created at the Mason's Workshop.
* Bone Weapons and Armor can be created at the Bonecarver's Workshop.
* Meat Alcohol can be created at the Corpse Still.

I highly recommend downloading [47.04] Fishing Expanded and [47.04] Vermin Birds with this mod. These mods remove wild animals from the wild animal cap that are inaccessible (i.e. swimming and flying) so that bones are easier to obtain.

Spoiler: Changelog v2.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v2.1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v2.2 (click to show/hide)

POLL DETAILS
What would you like to see expanded upon in this mod:
> Diseases: Turn the goblin pits into disgusting and festering pits of disease and filth by adding at least a dozen more common diseases that spread quickly among the population. These would include: plagues, blights, infections and small creatures like fleas as well as filth and grime.
> Poisons: Turn the goblin pits into a place of espionage and assassination by creating a dozen or so poisons that can be conveniently dumped into the rooms of the intended target or brought into a tavern to infect an entire group of visitors/citizens.
> Drugs: Turn the goblin pits into a place of hardship and chaos as commoners fiend for their next fix, laborers work non-stop in drug induced trances and warriors fight in narcotic frenzies.
> Demonic Blessings & Curses: Turn the goblin pits into a place of demonic worship. Fanatics build altars, shrines and monuments for abyssal gifts from their demonic lords.
> Other (comment suggestion)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:48:39 am by brolol.404 »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Goblin Fortress v1.0
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:07:55 am »

[reserved]

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:08:24 am »

[reserved]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 05:24:13 am »

Neat, i have some interesting input if you want it. I don't personally add much extension to it but you can run a vanilla fortress very tightly with the goblin civ if you use DFhack to help get a grip over your trolls, which are best seperated between one caste being unintelligent farm animals and another being semi-intelligent for civilian and military function, split between 4/more or between genders (whichever is easier).

Trolls decended from the original embarkment troll(s) carry across their historical significance as do the children of pet trolls, you might want to nerf them slightly with a size and lifespan reduction if you make them more varied. ((you can import them very easily by using [ANIMAL] and putting a group onto their file and [ALWAYS_PRESENT] over them, which allows exotics to be imported also))

Using custom positions for goblins is quite fun, with enough progress you can call the [MONARCH] demon leader because of prefixed tags on the invisible role you can overwrite in a identical fashion to the hard-coded dwarven monarch. Where you're going beyond with chemicals, sets of creatures and shines i think is good though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:27:24 am by FantasticDorf »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 06:05:52 am »

Neat, i have some interesting input if you want it. I don't personally add much extension to it but you can run a vanilla fortress very tightly with the goblin civ if you use DFhack to help get a grip over your trolls, which are best seperated between one caste being unintelligent farm animals and another being semi-intelligent for civilian and military function, split between 4/more or between genders (whichever is easier).

Trolls decended from the original embarkment troll(s) carry across their historical significance as do the children of pet trolls, you might want to nerf them slightly with a size and lifespan reduction if you make them more varied. ((you can import them very easily by using [ANIMAL] and putting a group onto their file and [ALWAYS_PRESENT] over them, which allows exotics to be imported also))

Using custom positions for goblins is quite fun, with enough progress you can call the [MONARCH] demon leader because of prefixed tags on the invisible role you can overwrite in a identical fashion to the hard-coded dwarven monarch. Where you're going beyond with chemicals, sets of creatures and shines i think is good though.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I have been really debating on which direction to take this mod, but have been preoccupied with my fishing mod. The original intent was to make a similiar to vanilla goblin experience without messing with any vanilla raws or using dfhack.

The trolls (and other pets) are currently incorporated using the [ANIMAL] tag. Instead of nerfing them, I just made them more expensive. They probably could still use tweaking in their abilities or embark cost if you have feedback there though. They are currently all intelligent but I could make an unintelligent caste.

I didn't realize that you could summon the ruling demon. That is pretty cool. thanks.

I am still debating on the direction of this mod, but I am considering removing the magic and armored creatures (both a bit unreliable) and possibly adding more to the demon worship/shrines and expanding on their disgusting features (like diseases) to really make them disgusting/vile demon worshippers.

EDIT: I am considering a simple playable vanilla human mod as well similiar to this one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:31:45 pm by brolol.404 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:27:59 am »

There might be some overlap with my playable-race mods, if there are sections or ideas you like, feel free to grab them. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:18:54 am »

There might be some overlap with my playable-race mods, if there are sections or ideas you like, feel free to grab them. ;)

I quite like your slaves on the warlock mod, could we produce a troll slave identical in most ways (maybe a bit smaller and unintelligent) then transform it into a sentient troll that way via dfhack recruitment for this or a similar mod? It wouldnt interrupt anything i wouldn't think and neatly get around trolls being tricky in fortress mode (as well as easy shearing/butchery collection)

It may be a way to allow goblins to get most of their iconic monsterous minion races too, ogres etc.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 07:47:54 am »

I am trying to keep these mods simple and as close to vanilla as possible while including all features of vanilla, but also still feeling like a new experience. If you have any ideas/feedback I would love to hear them.

So, these are my proposed changes to this mod:

> remove all magic (it is unreliable and clunky). It also seems a little more scholarly wizard magic than what the intention of this race was (disgusting/vile/greedy tribe like goblins)
> remove armor and barding from creatures (also a bit clunky and doesnt really add enough to the gameplay to justify its inclusion)
> remove tangible "gifts" from offerings (summons/items) at altars
> remove goblin patrols from the underground

> add a lot more diseases that spread quickly and often
> raise stress vulnerability to make goblins in constant anger/turmoil
> modify personality traits more where able to make goblins even more vile
> add poisons
> add drugs to boost mood (but also provide the negative aspects)
> add demonic offerings at altars that boost mood (bust potentially cause bad thoughts/effects)
> add a small chance prone to rage to goblins to make one go occasionally beserk
> give meat alcohol a small chance of nausea
> add some kind of filth that is spread by cave rats and goblins that makes the fort constantly dirty and gross

I think these changes will put the race into a constant state of chaos. Which could be considered a hard mode or even just ¡fun! but I really think it would better capture the vision if these evil and vile creatures.

Let me know your thoughts/opinions on these changes

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 08:33:13 am »

@Meph I do really like your Stonehenge like structure idea from your warlock mod. I may add a 10x10 monument workshop to this mod that takes 50 boulders to make lol

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 11:18:49 am »

Original df goblins don't eat or drink, live forever, don't use poisons or magic. There really isn't that much to go on.

Obviously they like fortresses/towers, which must be dark. Iron armors and weapons, and whips. Trolls, beakdogs and ogres.

Everything else would be speculation. I guess giving high demands and mandates, would be interesting, so that a lot  of goblins get arrested or punished.

Some way to summon demons, or at least a demon.

Damn, now I want to do a goblin mode ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 11:59:55 am »

Original df goblins don't eat or drink, live forever, don't use poisons or magic. There really isn't that much to go on.
Yeah. Currently these goblins are carnivores and require drink. They are not alcohol dependent but I did give them a fermented corpse alcohol. They also currently have magic but I'm thinking of removing it as I dont think it helps the main theme. I am going to add poisons though.

Obviously they like fortresses/towers, which must be dark. Iron armors and weapons, and whips. Trolls, beakdogs and ogres.

They currently have the following animals: Cave Rats, Beak Dogs, Worgs, Giant Cave Spiders, Giant Cave Bats, Cave Crocodiles, Trolls and Ogres. As well as Dwarf Slaves, Human Slaves, Elf Slaves and Goblin Slaves.

Everything else would be speculation. I guess giving high demands and mandates, would be interesting, so that a lot  of goblins get arrested or punished.

Currently only the king has high demands (impossible to fill demands), but I can definitely increase the other nobility demands and mandates.

Some way to summon demons, or at least a demon.
I have been thinking of the best way to incorporate this. I do kind of like the vanilla goblins that only have one demon overlord. I dont know if adding more demons would make the race more demonic warlock like and go away from the original feel of goblins.

EDIT: I am thinking of tying demons in with offerings to altars. Currently you can give corpses to an altar for demonic gifts
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:03:10 pm by brolol.404 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 12:38:54 pm »

I had a unique overlord in older MasterworkDF versions. It's quite simple to make:
 - Step1: Reaction to transform a unit into your demon overlord.
 - Step2: The syndrome that transformes him requires him to not have a certain tag.
 - Step3: Demon overlord has a free interaction that adds that tag to every one of your civ members.

Done. Even if you run the reaction again, no other worker will transform, because they have that tag. For example with IT_IMMUNE_CLASS, IT_FORBIDDEN or IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 01:09:02 pm »

Had a look at your raws.

"Ferment corpse" needs [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150].

It, and other reactions, seem to requires INORGANIC (?) corpses. [REAGENT:A:5:CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE] Just be definition, corpses are organic, and are usually either counted as muscle or bone material. Depends what the creature had more of. I assume it somehow still works (otherwise you wouldn'T have release it), but in theory it really shouldn't.

"create necrotic poison" also lacks the 150 product dimension.

Did you get the armored animals thing from an Armorman from another mod? ^^

I would advice never to use [SKILL:MINING], hunting/ambusher, fishing, beekeeping or woodcutting in a reaction. Dwarves have a hard time ignoring designations when they have to pick between workshop and running around the map to get to designated mining areas/trees to be cut down, etc. To make sure that the reaction is done; players would have to remove all active mining designations for example. It's also a reaction that added to the vanilla DF masons shop, which exclusively uses MASONRY, which might confuse players, because their mason isn't making that stone anvil he wanted. At the very least, add a [DESCRIPTION:Skill - Mining] to it to help the player. Not sure if it's intentional, but people can make unlimited free clay anvils btw. ;)

You made the cave rats legendary climbers, but left their climbing giat    [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph at the default speed. ;)

I assume the armored creatures have [NO_GENDER] to avoid giving birth?

Firejet and dragonfirebreath using castes without fire-immunity will very quickly kill themselves.

I love the goblin_hostile creature. Naturally armed and armored, with those tags?
Code: [Select]
[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:60]
[BIOME:ALL_MAIN]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:50:500]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:10:100]

That's some interesting encounters in EVIL regions. Btw, EVIL doesn't extend down to the caverns, so to get the underground versions to show, maybe put them in a LAYER_LINKED entity. :)

That's it. Sorry, I didn't mean to nitpick, just went through the raws once to have a look and those are the things I noticed.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 01:13:24 pm »

Quote from: Meph
I would advice never to use [SKILL:MINING], hunting/ambusher, fishing, beekeeping or woodcutting in a reaction. Dwarves have a hard time ignoring designations when they have to pick between workshop and running around the map to get to designated mining areas/trees to be cut down, etc.

You can use burrows, which depending on the scale of the industrial action could be quite good.

Similar examples involve using burrows to shear particular flocks of animals, collect web in a safe area where cave spiders have been deposited & to remotely catch vermin in a area too (though fishing thankfully has its own interaction area and 'O'rder controls)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »

I had a unique overlord in older MasterworkDF versions. It's quite simple to make:
 - Step1: Reaction to transform a unit into your demon overlord.
 - Step2: The syndrome that transformes him requires him to not have a certain tag.
 - Step3: Demon overlord has a free interaction that adds that tag to every one of your civ members.

Done. Even if you run the reaction again, no other worker will transform, because they have that tag. For example with IT_IMMUNE_CLASS, IT_FORBIDDEN or IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS.

That's really cool. I'll add it. Is step three like a cat's clean other interaction?

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Clean]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_FRIEND]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:TONGUE]
[CDI:VERB:lick:licks:lick each other]
[CDI:CAN_BE_MUTUAL]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ALLOWED:TOUCHABLE]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:1]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]

How do you make sure it gets to every other civ member?

I'm not sure I can transform them into a procedurally generated demon without dfhack but I could make 10-15 possible demon overlord creatures to randomly pick from.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6