Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Core Thread (Pulse 1 Strategy Phase)  (Read 1187 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

This is not an easy world to explain. But I'll try anyways. Imagine something for me. Imagine a vast ocean, but not clear or blue. No, this ocean is purple, bubbling, and caustic. Should you put your finger in it, you would lose the finger in moments. Rods of tungsten or steel? Similarly dissolved. The greatest alloy you could imagine would only last moments against this toxin. There is only one thing that can survive the ocean for long. There exists a shiny black stone, similar to obsidian, but with tiny pink streaks running through it. This stone can be submerged in the ichor and last for an eternity. In fact, the stone is indestructible as the ichor is destructive. You could put the full force of a nuclear blast against a pebble of the stone, and it would not be affected.

This world is barren. There is only the vast sea of ichor. With one small exception. Well, small to the world, not its inhabitants. If you looked at the tower from outside, you would see a vast gleaming spire of the stone, jutting out of the ocean of ichor. If you looked at it from inside, surprisingly enough, you would see a vast jungle. Or a scorching desert. Or clusters of floating islands. Or a huge ocean of true water, not ichor. For this is a tower with many floors, each a distinct battleground.

And as the tower has floors, so it has ways up and down the floors. In each floor, there are holes. Huge, gaping holes in the world, leading up or down to the floor above or the floor below. How big are these holes? Well, you could fit an entire city through them with room to spare. And not a small city, either.

Enter the two Fortress-Cities. There are two for a very good reason, which we'll get to in the moment. Each Fortress-City is a vast thing, and capable of flight too, carried aloft by the wishes of its inhabitants. And well defended, too. Suffice it to say each Fortress-City is more than capable of defense and offense... and maybe most importantly of all, sustaining a viable living human population. And indeed they do, for each Fortress-City contains vast arrays of cloning tanks to produce soldiers, farmers, technicians, teachers, engineers, designers, artists, cooks, politicians... birth is obsolete. Long live the cloning tank. These cloning tanks, unfortunately, possess one small defect. Every person produced by them is infused with a huge hatred for the other Fortress-City and all of its inhabitants. A pity, otherwise perhaps they could have coexisted. But instead they go to war. We've seen this pattern before.

Aside from the universal problems of war(logistics, technological development, strategy), the inhabitants of the tower have one other issue to deal with. The tower is sinking. Every so often, it pulses. A massive shaking that can be felt by everyone, aloft in the floating Fortress-Cities or not. Every pulse sees the tower sink just a bit deeper. And every four pulses, a floor is lost. In order to survive, the Fortress-Cities must keep on the move. Good thing they can fly, and good thing there are holes, shafts you might call them, that allow for travel between floors.

Discord

Enabrian Thread

Volcasial Thread

Spoiler: Basic Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Voting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Revisions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Territory and Control (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fortress-Cities (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Strategic Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Operations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources and Expenses (click to show/hide)

To join, just state which team you'll be joining in bold on this thread, or in bold on Discord.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:08:38 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Core Thread (Pulse 0 Design Phase)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:40 pm »

Enabria
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:39:17 pm »

The Enabria shall be crushed under the heel of the mighty Volcasial

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:39:34 pm »

EDIT whoops, accidental double post

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 11:36:42 pm »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:45:40 pm »

Pathetic baddies.

Enabria
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 11:50:19 pm »

I'll go with Volcasia because, just...

mmm

that name.

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:21:33 am »

FALLLLacy.

Volcasia. Discord is currently unavailable for some reason.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »

Votes locked. Expect designs in just a bit.

Edit: designs are out!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:48:33 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Core Thread (Pulse 0 Revision Phase)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 01:57:32 am »

May I join as the volcasia?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:48 am »

I'll join Volcasia, they apparently have fewer people.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 07:48:41 pm »

I guess I'll go with the smallest group and pick Enabria.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 04:00:57 pm »

Prepare to be Enabriated.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Core Thread (Pulse 1 Design Phase)
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:13:21 pm »

Something very unusual has just happened. The people of Volcasial and the people of Enabria are agreeing with each other. To be fair, what they're agreeing about is a desire to be better than the other side.

The high commanders of each side has agreed. A proper uniform is needed. And it'll feel so good to rub it in the faces of those pricks on the other side.

Each side gains one Uniform Design Token, spendable to gain an additional design that can only be used on a standard uniform for soldiers, and can be used parallel to a normal design.
Generic Arms Race.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking Tower Arms Race: Core Thread (Pulse 1 Revision Phase)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 04:29:37 pm »

Joining Volcasial because why not, and also because I have no social life outside of bay12, discord, and probably roblox because I'm bored.
it's over