Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts/emotions, preferences, stress, and (in)sanity in Adventure Mode?  (Read 2335 times)

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile

I'm an adventure noob, and as soon as my third character entered her local drinking mound for the first time, some other dwarf hanging out there killed another patron. Everyone denounced the murderer, but the murderer just kept hanging out there over the corpse of her victim.

Is this a normal thing? Can NPCs throw tantrums in adventure mode, and can they (or adventurers) go insane? My adventurer's description has a list of her recent thought/emotion pairs, just as in Fortress mode, but does stress accumulation actually happen?

I'm also curious as to whether preferences exist in Adventure mode. My adventurer's description doesn't have any - though I've heard there's a way to see them with DFHack, which I don't have installed. Presumably satisfying the Eat Good Meal need would require eating something on the prefs list, as in Fortress. I've also seen NPCs say "I like light poetry" or "I love ribald poetry!" when my adventurer performs - is that preference-related?
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile

You might have just witnessed the result of a particularly vicious drunken brawl. There's no real justice system, so I guess the people nearby can't do anything but spit on the killer.

Your adventurers do experience emotional stress but I don't think it currently has an effect on you. You might occasionally notice your guy has been crying a lot though.

The things npc's say about what they like are mostly based on their personalities and values, I think. You can't actually meet all your needs in adventure mode right now anyway, so if a Good Meal does require your favorite food then you'll have to find other activities to stay Focused.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can shape preferences of your dwarf, so he doesn't crave food, drink or companionship of any kind.

My adventurer had to just to pick 2 stones from a tile and then sharp one of them to become 100% totally focused for next 24h. That focus time should last 7 days imho. Specially, if another dwarf has to fulfill like 24 different needs to get the same effect.

This adventurer cried to sleep still, though I think it was somehow connected to a death of some naked animal dwarf brawler, whom one of his companions killed in his defense in woods. Companion agro during walking in wilds, seems to be an issue. As a result of this single "hunting accident" 2 of his companions tended during walks through wilderness to get constantly stuck frozen behind in an agro mode to each other. Performing was getting them free. Annoying, but I do not believe it is a bug.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile

Yeah, my adventurer has had a "coating of dwarf tears" on her eyes since pretty early on. A lot of my fortress dorfs get that too, and it's often unclear why (no recent serious negative emotions).

I'm not sure how there are drunken brawls in that particular drinking mound, though, because I couldn't find any actual alcohol. Maybe this is just because I am a clueless noob who didn't look in the right place or the right way?

@golemgunk - so, for example, a zany NPC will like funny poetry, and a humorless NPC will say "this poetry is so embarrassing" or the like? Cool! Thanks for the info.

@Sarmatian123 - I did a bunch of experimenting during character generation to determine which values and personality facets affected needs. I know family, friends, and romance are unfulfillable in the current version (unfortunately!) so I deliberately set my values and facets to exclude those. Maybe I should have done the same for Eat Good Meal then...

As an aside about those experiments, I found that the rarest need, "see great beast" results only from a *combination* of values and facets, never from any single one. You have to both value nature and be inclined to seek excitement. Though I'm not sure what constitutes a "great beast" - (semi)megabeasts, regular giant critters, or just particularly impressive ordinary animals like an elephant or tiger?
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

Tears are caused by extreme emotions, and your adventurer can get them super early if they see a dead body as it brings out horror to them.
The dwarves at the fort probably got tears for a number of things which they keep and remember.  now if you had a in depth descriptions for your adventurer you could have seen their current emotions and what they are currently feeling. otherwise the other way is to talk to someone and express your opinions on stuff which lets you see what your adventurer is currently thinking about.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Drunken" brawls are caused by people arguing and then escalating to a fight. Alcohol makes this worse, but close proximity will do it.

That's why you find the biggest bloodbaths in the libraries. All those scholars who love to talk, some from civs with weird values, random folk warped by reading the wrong books into having controversially ideas. All thrown together into one cramped space...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:05:01 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Double post