Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity  (Read 14512 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2019, 08:22:16 pm »

But to be honest dwarves probably just would not smoke at all; same with all subterranean troglodyte creatures. 

Not according to fantasy books, games, tropes and Toady- since it's been a planned feature for years.

Smoking in a dwarf fortress is basically the same problem as any other kind of fire or smelting operation, how to have people get close to it without killing them and how to get rid of the fumes. 

Which makes it not a problem, because those are indispensable parts of our fortress, and that problem doesn't exist.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2019, 07:09:27 am »

The idea is that there are three rooms, one of them has the fire in, a second room is where the smoke goes and there is a third room with the dwarves in.  A valve allows small amounts of smoke from the second room into the room the dwarves are in, the dwarves inhale that smoke in controlled doses. 
Wouldn't the smoke cool down in the second room?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2019, 07:30:24 am »

smoking is disgusting though.

i hope if Toady does implement such a stupid feature, it can at least be disabled at a creature level. No way I'd let my modded creatures do something im so vehemently against.

Still, I'd be sure to find plenty of... creative uses for any smokers in my forts :P

Not 100% against the inclusion of incense burners though. Maybe because it evokes a different kind of mental image...
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2019, 04:34:37 pm »

smoking is disgusting though.

i hope if Toady does implement such a stupid feature, it can at least be disabled at a creature level. No way I'd let my modded creatures do something im so vehemently against.

Still, I'd be sure to find plenty of... creative uses for any smokers in my forts :P

Not 100% against the inclusion of incense burners though. Maybe because it evokes a different kind of mental image...

I'm all for moddability lol one thing I love about DF is that everyone can mostly play their own thing. Personally I love pipe smoking and only don't smoke because my wife is allergic to it and because I dislike the idea of increasing my chances of having cancer lol But I'll probably revert to smoking again if they ever find a cure for that horrible disease. Until then, I'll be satisfied with seeing my little dwarves do it instead :P

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2019, 06:59:13 pm »

You do realize cancer isn't the only thing it can cause, right?

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »

You do realize cancer isn't the only thing it can cause, right?

Yes, but I do not breath it in, so my main worries are related to mouth and throat cancer. Like I said, I like smoking pipes (pipe smokers don't tend to inhale as often as cigarette smokers)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]