Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend me some recording/editing software?  (Read 8392 times)

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend me some recording/editing software?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 04:11:30 pm »

It's definitely weird. But thank you for the advice about checking the bitrate.

I've sort of managed to work my way around the problem... sort of. I took the time to upload one of my earlier test files that was 2.something GB to YT (after several hours of waiting) and then downloaded the file again to something that was 400-something MB, and uploaded THAT to YT. That 400-MB something file is what I'm going to keep, since the footage is of excellent quality and not shrunken at all.

I still need to figure out this problem, though, because I doubt it's going to go away. But first, I'm going to have to create a new file to play with, something smaller in file size to begin with so I can test it out faster.

I'll update you guys when I have some good data.

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 09:48:11 am »

Okay, so I've done some more testing, but I'm a little confused. I created a simple test file of a static screen and some audio that was 5 minutes long. The original file's size is 7.12 MB.

Here are my settings for OBS when I recorded it.

Settings > Output

Output Mode: Simple

Streaming
Video Bitrate: 2500 Kbps
Encoder: Software (x264)
Audio Bitrate: 160
Enable Advanced Encoder Settings: No

Recording
Recording Quality: High Quality, Medium file size
Recording Format: flv
Encoder: Hardware (QSV)
Enable Replay Buffer: No

Settings > Video
Base (Canvas) Resolution: 1920x1080
Output (Scaled) Resolution: 1280:720
Downscale Filter: Bicubic (Sharpened scaling, 16 samples)
Common FPS Values: 30

Now, I put this test video into OpenShot and cut out a minute of footage. I then exported the file. Here are the settings I used:

Target: MP4 (h.264)
Video Profile: HD 720p 30 fps (1280x720)
Quality: High

Bit Rate/Quality: 15.00 Mb/s

The file that resulted from all this was 4 minutes long and 34.3 MB in size. That's still several times larger than the original. I was going to mess with the bit rate on OpenShot to get it to match OBS, but that bit rate was listed for streaming, not recording. Any ideas?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 01:36:08 pm »

I had some issues in a new project, I advise configuring a profile in the project before you go to export, else it tends to jump back to default profile settings.
let

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »

Okay, so I messed with the profile and changed it to

Target: MP4 (h.264)
Video Profile: HD 720p 23.98 fps (1280x720)
Quality: High

Also, under the profile, I saw "Other: DAR 16/9, SAR 1/1, Interlaced: False"

Same experiment. Took out 1 minute of a 5 minute video that was 7.12 MB to start. The resulting file was 28.6 MB. A little smaller than the other tests, but still several sizes larger than the original, which just confounds me.

On another note, I tried using a different video editing software, Shotcut. I don't know if anybody has used that one before. I did the same type of experiment. But the resulting video was 12.2 MB. I still don't get how the edited video is larger than the original, but hey, this one is only almost twice as long instead of nearly 4 or 5 times, so that's something.
Pages: 1 [2]