Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SUMMONING & MORE CONFIRMED FOR VILLAINS RELEASE!  (Read 4701 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
SUMMONING & MORE CONFIRMED FOR VILLAINS RELEASE!
« on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:32 pm »

From today's devlog:

These considerations led (there is a lot of leading this time) to undead lieutenants being given a variety of new powers. Many of them are based on existing syndromes, like the ability to temporarily blind and so forth, but I added some new effects as well. For instance, some of these undead can raise a heavy fog (when outdoors), and others can propel people away from them. I also added a summon power, and new tags to make polymorph-type abilities more versatile. Demons with the knowledge of life and death (that is, death demons, mainly) will now use their lieutenant raising property. They don't animate zombies because animated zombies aren't friendly to their goblin and other buddies, but the lieutenants fit in just fine. I made sure the goblins don't chase them away for being unnaturally immortal, he he he.

Also paraphrased in the Steam update, with more detail:

The easiest powers to do were based on existing poison code, which modders have already taken advantage of, allowing them to blind, suffocate, paralyze, open wounds of various kinds, nauseate, cause dizziness, and so forth. I also added some completely new effects, including the ability to summon creatures, change the weather (they like heavy fog, which complicates ranged weapon use), and propel enemies off their feet (this effect applies a force, so smaller enemies fly several tiles, while an elephant might not be affected at all.)

On top of this, it seems that more strange religious curses/events are planned:

Being full of tangents this week, that of course meant adding dice, for divination. With face sets (images, words, numerals or dots) and sides according to their shape (platonic or 'long die' prisms), and certain divination practices working with combinations of dice, and the ability to roll either one die or all the dice you are holding (which matters if the divination practice requires two dice, say.) And, um, the divinations doing things sometimes. I went to a shrine, rolled a tin icosahedral die and it was a bad roll and I was cursed to be a snowy owl for a week. So I flew up to a nearby rooftop and pondered tangents

And here I thought we'd have to endure the Big Wait before we got any more moddable goodness! Summoning alone would just be juicy, but Force powers and weather control (which could potentially include modded weather?!) Be still my +prepared dwarf heart!+

So yea, this is a thread for jubilant screaming. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMONING & MORE CONFIRMED FOR VILLAINS RELEASE!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

(Old? It's only been three years ok that's pretty old.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:51:47 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:56:10 pm »

the summoning is a big yes from me,

polymorph/transformation stuff is also a big yes, if it's been worked in a way that allows for easy or conditional evolution (either way an overhaul to it is much welcomed)

the Force stuff is cool, wonder if there is also a way to make it "pull"

My only question is, Will the interaction using in fortmode be fixed? IE creatures using ALL interactions they can at once, and only using them in combat (in which they are involved in, aka being an attacker)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 01:25:21 pm »

Most certainly and excitedly the interactions can be modified by means of Eric Blank's method of rigging slab secrets to create bloodlines of unique interaction users and his spellcrafts mod.

So perhaps we might yet be able to have a Elf Druid accompany wood clad soldiers to the fight and turn into a enormous bear-monster mid battle. Or just play a mage class in adventure mode collecting as many magical objects as possible as a pseudo wizard.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 05:22:28 pm »

the Force stuff is cool, wonder if there is also a way to make it "pull"
Negative integer in the PUSH effect?
Most certainly and excitedly the interactions can be modified by means of Eric Blank's method of rigging slab secrets to create bloodlines of unique interaction users and his spellcrafts mod.
Bloodlines? Tell me more, is it inheritable or something?
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »

Fuck yeah!
What this means:
Terraria mod requires less dfhack
Minecraft mod can have evokers
Skyrim mod can have conjuration
And DND mod Dragons can have Lair effects, but most importantly: toady one may have seen my suggestion post!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:02:51 pm by TheRedwolf »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:38:07 am »

polymorph/transformation stuff is also a big yes, if it's been worked in a way that allows for easy or conditional evolution (either way an overhaul to it is much welcomed)
you mean the children gets morphed differently each generation? I think that doable in the current version of the game but it requires the transformed parent to have a child which leads to the child being the pure strain version of the transformed parent, which opens them up to getting another transformation down the line which let them have a child who also would become the pure strain of the transformed parent's race and so on and so forth. though it probably best we get more family dialog options so that when folks talk about evolved or changed family members it not in context of a night troll conversion.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 12:42:21 pm »

Bloodlines? Tell me more, is it inheritable or something?

Sort of, one of Erik's methods involved making a dormant caste of a creature and having them be transformed by the secret (set up in such a way to be targeted at them). Because they're the "same race" they'd procreate with other civilization members from what i remember being told of them and typically two of the same caste would produce a similar caste child. Seperate to just inheiriting a power im think but it would be nice if toady accounted in whether powers are transferrable across the existing bloodline structure used for artifact claims in order to set up magic later.

Im unsure whether a caste can have a unique interaction, but even adding it to a inaccessible and abstract creature (like turning them into a 'human-mage') with full access to magical interactions but nowhere to conventionally spawn from would in theory work out and make them prefer only to court with other mages if suitable.

you mean the children gets morphed differently each generation? I think that doable in the current version of the game but it requires the transformed parent to have a child which leads to the child being the pure strain version of the transformed parent, which opens them up to getting another transformation down the line which let them have a child who also would become the pure strain of the transformed parent's race and so on and so forth. though it probably best we get more family dialog options so that when folks talk about evolved or changed family members it not in context of a night troll conversion.

Pretty much this. Whether same race or seperate, there will be people reading the god given slab (and recieving their own in due time) to be affected, if you're paying attention to death-religions which are often flavorful, dwarves will reference and revere events like necromancers and the occasional night troll offering their worship to a god to talk about much the same way they regard the crowning of a king or a local mayor rising to power with repetition in their art & rumors and songs.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 01:29:42 pm »

Minecraft mod can have evokers

Now my personal mod can function like how it should!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:14 am »

Good stuff! Now there's just the question of applying these effects from reactions...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 11:53:20 pm »

My fault.

To be fair I could only confirm that unintelligent pet females get pregnant from intelligent males, not he other way around (got distracted testing that.)

The bloodlines however can't transfer powers directly. If the powers include an interaction that grants that power to others under certain conditions, that should work for inheritance, but otherwise it has to be a natural power available to that creature/cast from birth. But slab secrets do occasionally get written into books which might get read by your dwarves if the book is in your fort library. A pain to be sure because writing manuals like that requires a particular branch on the knowledge tree for that type of scholar to be unlocked. If in world gen no scholar.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 11:54:34 pm »

Good stuff! Now there's just the question of applying these effects from reactions...

That is the million dollar question

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 05:07:27 am »

That is the million dollar question

I put a thread up on the suggestions forum, so at least Toady should have read that and gotten that it's requested by the modding community, if he didn't know that already.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 08:14:33 pm »

What I'd be really up for is if Toady makes unique demons have the possibility of appearing as a humanoid race, only revealing their "true form" in extreme situations.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 
Pages: [1] 2