Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Final Phase, 1941 Cold Season  (Read 36823 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / 5th Prelim Design Phase
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:34 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Flagship
The Lightning Wave:
The Voyager:
SSV Mariner: (1) TricMagic
IEN Hakau (1): Twinwolf
The Floating Fellowship: (2) TricMagic, Doomblade
INFS Kona (2): Powder Miner, Doomblade

Uniform
Initharian Expeditionary Force Uniforms (3): Twinwolf, Powder Miner, TricMagic
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2019, 10:39:26 am »

I'm not sure why people are voting for two flagships when we only have one design for that.

Also, literally any ship we make is going to be upgraded over time, so I'm not sure the point you're making with that?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

The direction it will be upgraded in. As a pure support ship, it's upgrades will also be support based, most likely.

Of course, it's also likely to turn into a floating airship at some point, given it's flat shape and the grav-material we will have access to.

Anyway, I'm voting for two cause I like support ships. Though only one can actually win, it's mostly to show we do support that choice.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:02 am »

...I have no earthly idea where you're getting the airship idea from. That would probably be entirely different tech. As for two votes, even if it's for showing support it still screws with the voting.

Also switching vote to the Kona because that seems more likely to win than the Hakau and I really really don't want our flagship to be a primarily support vessel. We can always do one later next time we get one of these kinds of designs.

Flagship
The Lightning Wave:
The Voyager:
IEN Hakau (0):
INFS Kona (3): Powder Miner, Doomblade, Twinwolf

Uniform
Initharian Expeditionary Force Uniforms (3): Twinwolf, Powder Miner, TricMagic
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2019, 11:27:28 am »

A literal battleship is.. Also, if it's upgraded over time, it would likely get an airship upgrade as soon as we got the design for one. Support Vessel.

Also, where does the idea of another design like this come along? It should be remembered that the low base will likely help in difficult waters if it's designed not to sink beneath a storm. And it's most certainly not going to tip over like the Kona in such a storm. Being able to support ships is also a pretty big logistical advantage, as they can be repaired at sea rather than having to leave the battlefield or continue fighting till they sink.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2019, 11:40:12 am »

A literal battleship is what? And why would any of our ships become airships if we got them (which we probably won't bother with given we've already got planes)? An airship is a completely different kind of thing than a naval vessel. We can't just strap anti-grav to it and call it a day. Even if MoP hadn't said explicitly that wouldn't happen it would be an utterly ridiculous idea.

By "another design like this", I mean "permanently-national effort that upgrades". I sincerely doubt this is going to be the only time we get the chance to do a design with these parameters since we were all but explicitly told there would be last game and I doubt it's anything different this time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:42:02 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2019, 11:50:52 am »

There is a bit of a difference between upgrading, which is what I have said will happen, and getting something completely overhauled and different

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

Flagship
The Lightning Wave:
The Voyager:
IEN Hakau (0):
INFS Kona (3): Powder Miner, Doomblade, Twinwolf

Uniform
Initharian Expeditionary Force Uniforms (4): Twinwolf, Powder Miner, TricMagic, Rockeater
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:20:16 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »

What happened to your vote?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »

What happened to your vote?
Powder had some difficulty concerns about the shipyard ship, which Rockeater was unaware of.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2019, 03:39:49 pm »

And the giant gun base ship doesn't have difficulty?

Quote from: GM Post
This ship will have reduced difficulty than a standard design and will be treated as though a Research Credit was applied.
This is at least a good time for it, and being able to keep ships afloat and repair them is nice. That and Support Ships support really well. Rather than pure offense, Support, and that will affect all ships at sea.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2019, 03:42:25 pm »

Hey, @GM, about how icy will the Harren sea in our area be? Like, should we be worried about getting iceberg'd?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2019, 03:47:13 pm »

Ice could prove to be an issue.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2019, 03:48:54 pm »

Yes, a ship that's built to serve a function usually reserved for land based shipyards and big enough to do that for a fleet is most likely going to be more difficult than we can handle even with reduced difficulty. It doesn't mean "You can do anything you want" it means "Some more things are in reason". Compared to the Floating Fellowship, the Kona will likely be more likely to actually be doable, and more likely to have a good result.

Also for the terrain - I figure it's like, icebergs and flows, but not "the sea is frozen solid" or actually getting there would be difficult. I don't think it's going to be relevant early game, but if they manage to push a coast down into that area we would probably want ice-breaking ships.
Sigtext!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2019, 03:53:21 pm »

the kona shouldn't be terribly difficult, I did research on the USS Connecticut to see what kinds of guns might be reasonable for a battleship, amped it up a bit while leaning towards secondaries, and the rest is just drawing on tech we already have
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35