Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35

Author Topic: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Final Phase, 1941 Cold Season  (Read 36893 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / 2nd Prelim Revision Phase
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2019, 04:06:21 pm »

MoP rolling up to more or less tell us the passive engine won't work like this lmao
Quote from: Votebox
Refocyte Passive Engine (2): m1895, TricMagic, Jerick
Refocyte Shortbow (1): Powder Miner
Nimashield ():

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »

Spoiler: Archived (click to show/hide)

#NotARevison

MoP rolling up to more or less tell us the passive engine won't work like this lmao
Refocyte Passive Engine (2): m1895, Jerick
Nimashield ():

hmm.

The Focus Hammer

A hammer with a head made of Nima Silver making up it's core, and a core of Nima Silver serving as the handle attached to that core. Both hammer and handle are covered with a layer of metal to prevent discharge in all but two directions. The heads of the Hammer itself.

When swung into the target, it releases the kinetic energy it has stored into the target. What makes it so useful is the force is also transfer back from the blow into the hammer, settling into the Nima Silver again. This results in little loss of energy between swings, and destroys whatever it connects with. The only exception to this is the earth itself. Instead, a swing down to the earth stores energy in the hammer, charging it quickly. This is mostly because it is like swinging at a mountain. While the mountain may have a dent, it does not move. So the energy of the swinger is transferred to the hammer fully by swinging against an unmovable object.

It is meant to be wielded with both hands, and takes strength and dexterity to use. Both for charging it, and connecting with your foes. One thing is, a fortress is not immovable, as our arrows have proven before. Nor are walls unbreakable.

Hah.. I go to Dinner, then find myself kicked out of the server. What is the Sphere of Physical Force even mean anyway? Because apparently I don't understand anything about what physical force actually means. Or Interaction Development.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:08:10 pm by TricMagic »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2019, 06:05:14 pm »

Refocyte Shortspear
after the Battle of Media, many weaponsmiths noticed the Initharian raiders were quite outmatched in close quarters, so they looked back to the old Fefocyte Spears, and modified them to deal with the horrors of city fighting. The end result was a 2 1/2-foot long spear, split equally between the haft and the spearhead. a weapon uniquely capable of dealing with threats in melee without compromising our soldiers' ability to carry their longbows.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:32:59 pm by m1895 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »

I'm not kidding. I'm not sure how I just get kicked from the server.

To quote, I am not sure how this Refocyte stuff is even supposed to work in the first place. What sort of interactions can we make? How is it working in the first place, and how can we make use of it?

Also, how is it charged, how can we release energy as needed? At the moment, it is just a nuke.

The Shortspear is a bit useless as the energy must be near full anyway for it to go off, so it's still a single strike weapon. Beyond that, won't the force also transfer through the spear itself, destroying it? That seems to be the reason why the hammer itself doesn't work either... I have many questions, but no source of easy answers, it seems. Simply saying reasons why it does not work doesn't work, as interactions can be developed to make it work. How do you develop such interactions however?

I never quite understood how you would even use Refocyte.... It simply makes no sense to me, but I try to make sense of it. That doesn't mean it's easy when a material can just convert kinetic energy to potential. Gravity is easy to make some sense of, as such a material affects gravity...

Forming new interactions from applied knowledge also doesn't seem to be allowed for some reason, as I seem to be seeing it?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:22:42 pm by TricMagic »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »

You got kicked because I clicked a few buttons and the computer accepted the inputs.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 06:29:37 pm »

You got kicked because I clicked a few buttons and the computer accepted the inputs.

I hope that is you saying I can come back into the discord? If it's straight blunt truth, that kinda is enough to state my whole issue. Details are almost like air to me. How does it work, what can be done with it, how does one create an interaction..

I assume I know how it works, then create a design based around that. If my base assumptions are flawed, the resulting proposal is also flawed. Simply removing those who cannot comprehend is giving up, mostly... It also kinda stresses me out, since I am left with even less knowledge than before.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2019, 06:43:23 pm »

Refocyte Passive Engine (1): Jerick
Nimashield ():
Refocyte Shortspear (1): m1895

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2019, 09:27:14 pm »

Oy, @Tric.

Here's how you develop a new interaction.

Alloyed Refocyte

We already alloy metals for our bronze, but nobody had attempted it with Refocyte yet. By adding a ln amount of Refocyte to a metal, the resulting material has similar properties to Refocyte, except it releases force over a period of time, proportional to the alloy mix of Refocyte present.

Also, if you have questions how it works, just ask. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2019, 10:06:59 pm »

Refocyte Shortsword
These 35-45cm blades were constructed in the period after Inithar's expansion into the Median empire, using knowledge from that empire in the creation of these weapons. Built for close-in fighting where archery could not do well, these weapons were designed as a particularly effective and ruthless way of dispatching a foe in melee, utilising prior experiences from Refocyte's effect on organic targets. It's small size meant that most Inithari troops could carry one as a sidearm of sorts.

Primarily used for thrusting, as Refocyte's effects could be more easily aimed and the sword regards by repeated jabs, these swords were able to make slashes capably as well.

Nimashield ():
Refocyte Shortsword (1): Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2019, 10:16:10 am »

nvm
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:27:39 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2019, 11:39:58 am »

Refocyte Spear

While history remembers the Initharian's battle against the Median Empire as the age of the Refocyte Longbow, another weapon came into being after the end of the battle. On the islands, there was little need for spearmen in the Initharian army - after all, most battles would be of a naval nature. But the initial gains of the Median Empire were in part because of the lack of properly equipped infantry, and this would only become more important as the nation expanded onto the mainland. So the Initharian's took another look at their past, and the tactics of their enemies - the result being the Refocyte spear. Using this weapon, Initharian infantry made use of a unique version of the spear wall - their infantry formations were a few ranks deep. The front ranks fought for a little bit, expending the charge of their weapon, before rotating to the back and letting the second rank come to the front while the enemy reeled. Those in the back used the rest time to charge their spears, such that they were ready to strike again when they returned to the front ranks. This resulted in formations that inexorably grinded their enemy to dust, while expending minimal energy in return.

-"Initharian Conquest", chapter 2, Dr. Richard Favre

The return of the Refocyte Arrows was very successful. After the war, Initharian craftsmen looked into the past to see what more could be gained - and as it turned out, alongside bows, hunting spears tipped with Refocyte had been used in the past and discarded after they left animal carcasses in too poor a shape to be eaten. However, there is no need to preserve the bodies of our enemies - as such, the time has come for the Refocyte-headed spear to make a return.

The body of the spear is a strong wooden pole of about 6 feet in length, and the spearhead is about a foot long and made of Refocyte. The head is wrapped in "charged" before combat, with the metal turning from silver to a dark green color as it absorbs kinetic energy, and then carefully wrapped in cloth to avoid accidental discharge; when it makes contact, the spear will discharge it's force into the enemy, ideally crippling or killing them while leaving the spearhead intact. These spears allow Initharian forces to maintain a barrier between the longbowmen and whatever forces survived the initial bombardments.

Nimashield ():
Refocyte Spear (1): Twinwolf
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:07:02 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2019, 11:41:54 am »

Refocyte Shortbow (0):
Nimashield ():
Refocyte Spear (2): Twinwolf, Powder Miner

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 11:48:29 am »

Refocyte Shortbow (0):
Nimashield ():
Refocyte Spear (2): Twinwolf, Powder Miner
Alloyed Refocyte (1): TricMagic

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »

Refocyte Shortbow (0):
Nimashield ():
Refocyte Shortspear ():
Refocyte Spear (3): Twinwolf, Powder Miner, m1895

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2019, 01:02:06 pm »

Quote from: Refocyte Canal Blasting Process
The Inithar initially had problems running the more inland parts of their newly conquered territories after they turned the tables on their invaders. They solved this by building a network of artificial waterways allowing their boats to travel deep inland. In order to build these networks they needed a way to carve effectively through obstructions. What they came up with was using a method of blasting using large rods of refocyte.

It was found that the larger the piece of refocyte the more force it could contain. Holes were drilled by hand in a slow laborious process. Once the holes were deep enough a large rod of refocyte was charged with force. This rod would be attached to a bronze cap with a copious amount of wax. The cap would be placed over the hole with the rod inside the hole. The cap was far wider than the hole and was usually secured in place by heavy rocks and brass spikes that dug into the ground. A fire would be set on top of the cap. This would cause the wax to melt and the rod to drop into the bottom of the hole were it would release all its stored energy in the enclosed confined space. This would tear up rocks and send material flying clear of the blast site. Once the blast had happened and it was safe to return, work crews would clear away the loose materials and rocks. The Inithar did this at regular intervals, using refocyte to carve a complex network of canals over the course of generations. This solved many of the potential problems the early Inithar had when attempting to build these canals but not all of them. However the topic of this paper is purely on the process of refocyte blasting. The engineering struggles, successes and failures of the project overall are well covered by other writers and will not be addressed here.

Refocyte Passive Engine (0):
Refocyte Shortbow (0):
Nimashield ():
Refocyte Spear (3): Twinwolf, Powder Miner, m1895
Refocyte Canal Blasting (1): Jerick

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:17:55 pm by Jerick »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35