Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attachable 1x1 "container buildings" to workshops  (Read 1096 times)

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attachable 1x1 "container buildings" to workshops
« on: July 27, 2019, 12:50:08 pm »

Here's the suggestion:

Say I have a dyer shop. Make a building so I can attach a container to it so it may use that container directly for its reactions.
In this case, a barrel or a pot, where the material would be specified (one dye type per barrel not to overcomplicate things and to make possible unloading dye bags into it, so the barrel would be filled with dye, and the bags would be freed for other uses)

So, I can build four 1x1 "reagent barrels" right next to the workshop, that the workshop will use directly for its reactions, each barrel with a specific dye; improving the workshop Q reactions would be a good idea, since specifying which dye to use for the reactions would exclude the need of stockpile linking for different dye colors.

These 1x1 reaction containers would act as priority stockpiles, so it could be defined, say "if this container has less than 50% its full capacity, fill it with the desired reagent"; so, dwarves would pick the reagents from any stockpile that has these available and refill the container.

There could be a myriad of implementations to increase control over this, such as having "reserve reagent barrels" in a nearby stockpile, with barrels full of the desired reagent, so instead of simply refilling the container, it could be detached and replaced.

Thing is, this could be applied to most industries that are a pain in the ass to establish, such as dyeing, papermaking, soapmaking and a few others that don't come to mind (cheesemaking maybe? Gem cutting / encrusting? Even symbol sewing)

One craftsdwarf workshop destined for papermaking with reagent bins full of sheet...
One quern with reagent barrels full of pig tails...
One press with reagent barrels full of slurry...

Possibilities are endless and, as I see it, it could reduce by A LOT fps problems regarding the excess of items in a fort since it would substantially reduce the need of individual "dye bags" lying in barrels full of spaghetti stockpile links; instead of 20 dye bags in a barrel, you just get a barrel full of dye, that has x uses before depletion; each use will reduce its contents by x%, based on the containers dimension and on the density/size of its contents. (I guess that in case of stuff that is not liquid a percentage doesn't have to be used, such as a quire bin for a bookbinding shop)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I decided to make this a twofold suggestion because I have another one, this one regarding stockpiles and bins/barrels, and problems that arise from them.

For example: I want to have bins in a leather stockpile, but I want each bin to store only ONE type of leather:
Allow per stockpile bin reserving, and allow specifying the materials the bin is gonna receive the same way stockpile materials are specified.

So, I have this leather stockpile, and 3 different types of leather.
So, I will reserve 5 bins for the dog leather, 5 bins for the cat leather and 5 bins for the cow leather. So, they won't mix and cause bugs. If any of the bins are empty, they will belong to that stockpile as long as they are reserved or the tile/stockpile they belong to is removed. Same applies to barrels.

I could be wrong, but most of the bin and barrel related bugs seem to stem from the fact that they sometimes have a bunch of different stuff in them, and stockpiles don't seem to know what to do with it, so it just stays there and requires the d-b-d-k-d method with a provisory dump to be able to free the container and its contents.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think implementing these would be really hard, and I actually believe it would increase overall QoL by a lot. Also would reduce the headache over stockpile linking for establishment of certain industries. Would also reduce the overall number of items in a fort, helping the FPS.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:05:22 pm by joaodosgrao »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Attachable 1x1 "container buildings" to workshops
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 03:49:34 pm »

Workshops are intended to be replaced by work zones at some point, so I think it's definitely doable as buildings in the zone.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 04:05:42 am »

I like it, it's a good and, I think, relatively simple suggestion to implement (considering some other ones...). I'd love the reduction in stress in setting up a working chain of workshops and stockpiles, cutting out or reducing all the bugs you mentioned, but especially like the potential FPS savings due to reduced constant hauling. Possibilities are truly vast and it could be a step towards "work zone" workshops.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:58:13 pm »

Can't you just make a really small stock pile for the specific item you need?
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:19:30 pm »

Can't you just make a really small stock pile for the specific item you need?

You can, but I dont think you see the big picture here.

TSK containers linked to the workshop will be unusable for the reactions, leading to cancellation spams, and cancelling of the order.

Also, if no containers are used, everytime a single reagent is used, a random hauler anywhere on the map will be picked to haul from the feeder stockpile to that one. This could imply a shitload of pathfinding depending on where the hauler is at that given moment.

Not only that, but having a barrel with a specific reagent for a reaction without the need of using bags would reduce the need for bags, reducing the total number of items in the fort, improving FPS (and bags are used A LOT).

Something I forgot to mention is that this method could erase the necessity of bags on the very refinement of the reagent if attachment to querns and farmer workshops were possible (instead of processing plant leaves into a bag, they could be processed straight to a barrel, and once 100% filled, it could be taken to a kitchen and attached to be used as a reagent there, or to a reagent stockpile). This would ALSO reduce the number of items if % was used regarding how full a barrel is, putting aside the need to track every single quarry bush leaf bag you have lying around, or every dye bag, etc etc. And, as I said before, would also reduce the TSK cancellation hassle.

Furthermore, my suggestion also includes the refinement of the choices on certain workshops, such as farmer workshops and querns. Also, would make easier to have kitchens dedicated to making meals with desired reagents, or stills for making drinks with desired reagents, so on and so forth.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 11:15:21 am »

For kitchen with desired reagants, burrow restriction+minecarts over (center of) kitchen holding your desired reagants might work. But sadly most jobs and workshops are unable to use items in minecarts; kitchen and eating being only useful exceptions iirc.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:09:42 pm »

@joaodosgrao: Good point. Thank you for an explanation.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).