Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 26194 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2020, 05:17:25 pm »

It feels like there's an easy way to determine if your Silent with the Noxious Fumes power (add 2 poison per round, 3 upgraded) should use your catalyst card now or save it for later. Later means more of an increase, but now means more time with the higher damage.

I'm guessing earlier is usually better, as long as you have several poison, but I'm not sure what the breakpoint is.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »

From what I've picked up, it mostly boils down to how many turns left you think you'll be taking damage?  Or... something like that. Basically run the math and see if you're satisfied with how much longer the whatever is going to stay alive. If yes, catalyze. If no, hold off. That could be early, it could be later for bigger effect, just... depends.

Alternatively get more catalyst. Or more other poison cards. Fumes is pretty good, but one upgraded crippling poison is 2-3 turns of it, basically the same for the base poison card or even more with flask. It's not super sexy with catalyst, more or less. Better for holding a poison count steady while you draw your catalyst(s) than actually pumping the count for the kill.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2020, 09:17:43 am »

From what I've picked up, it mostly boils down to how many turns left you think you'll be taking damage?  Or... something like that. Basically run the math and see if you're satisfied with how much longer the whatever is going to stay alive. If yes, catalyze. If no, hold off. That could be early, it could be later for bigger effect, just... depends.

Alternatively get more catalyst. Or more other poison cards. Fumes is pretty good, but one upgraded crippling poison is 2-3 turns of it, basically the same for the base poison card or even more with flask. It's not super sexy with catalyst, more or less. Better for holding a poison count steady while you draw your catalyst(s) than actually pumping the count for the kill.

Oh yeah, I grab about one of each of the poison cards that I find on a given run (usually 3-4), because they each have a different purpose (attack card that poisons, big reusable poison, overpriced poison that also kills off all other enemies, etc.). I just meant that Noxious Fumes changes the math from poison slowly decreasing each turn to poison slowly increasing each turn. That's a minor change, but it's also what the math on catalyst is based on.

A pair of catalysts is pretty nice against the enemies who clear poison partway through the fight like slime, champion, time eater, and the awakened. I care significantly less that they clear the poison when they're almost dead (or I have another catalyst to start in on the awakened a second time), but is otherwise overkill.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2020, 03:54:25 pm »

De ascend, thread!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
God, this was even below Anamnesis.  :o
Since Yohane mod no longer runs out of memory for me, ??? i decided to check it out. Pictures are thoroughly hilarious. And i stumbled on a OP combo on first run.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, i guess any character haves an OP combo of three golden cards or something. And can defeat most inappropriate boss with it.  :P

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:08 am »

I just discovered this game, and i quite enjoyed it.

But I found it quite easy. First ascend at the third game, and >50% WR since.
Is it me or is it easy for everyone ?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2021, 04:07:53 am »

I'd say it's an easy game overall. The mechanics are simple and even in the higher ascencions most difficulty arises from RNG but is ultimately countered by building your deck right.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2021, 08:26:34 am »

I just discovered this game, and i quite enjoyed it.

But I found it quite easy. First ascend at the third game, and >50% WR since.
Is it me or is it easy for everyone ?
If you know what you're doing, it's not an unfairly difficult game.

The hardest part of the game - getting the keys and defeating the Heart - is an optional challenge: if you've got a deck that can handle it, then you go up against the elite encounter, skip the treasure, and burn a campfire. If not, then you just take a normal win.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2021, 01:16:50 pm »

The ascension mechanic is built specifically to make the game easy to get into. If you're good at deck builders you shouldn't have too much difficulty winning on lower ascensions. The difficulty does ramp up a lot though, and once you're on Asc 20 heart runs the game gets very difficult. Though most people say the current patch is quite a bit easier than it has been in the past.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2021, 01:46:54 pm »

I must be a special kind of bad. I think my best on StS is Ascension 5 (3 with the heart) on a standard game... But I have max or near-max difficulty wins on Endless Voyage, Blood Card, Neoverse, Deck of Ashes, and a few other deck builders. It's mostly just StS (and Monster Train) that breaks me in half.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2021, 02:23:06 pm »

The ascension mechanic is built specifically to make the game easy to get into. If you're good at deck builders you shouldn't have too much difficulty winning on lower ascensions. The difficulty does ramp up a lot though, and once you're on Asc 20 heart runs the game gets very difficult. Though most people say the current patch is quite a bit easier than it has been in the past.

The newest patch made absolutely terrible cards you'd never want to use just regular bad cards you'd never want to use except in edge-case decks. Maybe a quarter of the rewards for fights actually make your character worse, which increases to 3/4 or more depending on how important your build is (higher ascensions are worse). Once you learn how a character runs, the game is fairly easy, as long as the RNG allows you what you need. Knowing more ways to play the character somewhat increases your chances of being able to use what you're allowed to have, but it's still real easy to think you can go with a particular playstyle early on and then never get what you need to make your deck actually work right. Or you correctly guess which items/cards to keep and then die before you start getting the fun stuff later because your deck is unfinished. It's fun and helps get you willing to be more flexible up to a point, then it's just frustrating.

Actually, I'm finding that with more and more games lately.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2021, 05:56:53 pm »

I've heard the better spire players largely ignore deck themes/architypes over just grabbing what will help them in tough fights in the near future, mostly so they can punch many elites and take their relics.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2021, 07:37:48 pm »

I wouldn’t count myself among the “better” players but I do agree that hunting for a specific  archetype is a bad way to play. You just can’t be sure whether you’ll get the cards that you need. Plus, it’s equally important to not get cards that don’t work well with each other (ie rampage + anger).

A tip (for mental health if you will):

Don’t bother with runs that don’t go smoothly. If you have to hunt down campfires to heal yourself then you aren’t going to win.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2021, 08:08:31 pm »

I gave up on ascensions when I realized that I have more fun playing the game without a serious challenge (except for the Heart, which is kinda tough no matter what). Lets me try weird builds and stuff without caring too much if it might ruin the run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »

I gave up on ascensions when I realized that I have more fun playing the game without a serious challenge (except for the Heart, which is kinda tough no matter what). Lets me try weird builds and stuff without caring too much if it might ruin the run.

That's a problem I have with most roguelikes.  I'd probably win more if I bothered to play optimally but I'd rather play quick and sloppy, and see what happens.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]