Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Earthentomb: An excercise in goblin-baiting (Community fort)  (Read 9020 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthentomb: An excercise in goblin-baiting (Community fort)
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »

Those are not skills I'd trust with anything. Like... Holy shit, did you only just start letting the mace squad actually train, or do they really just suck that much? Cause that looks like it's mostly solo drill training and that's only a hair better than no training at all.

Quick edit: Let me be claer, I ain't trying to be a dick, but I almost never use traps, and I know junk soldiers when I see them.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »

Like I said... I don't really trust anyone but our three axe-lords to put up a proper fight against that nematode.

You showed up to the fort in the second migrant wave. There weren't any draftees available to train with you at the time, so you were stuck drilling until the third migrant wave-- and then you had to keep drilling while your underlings drilled themselves up to sparring levels. For all I know, you only started actually training with them a few months back.

Your guy's gonna be a legend within a year or two, I should think, but he's got a long ways to go yet...

EDIT: Oh. Also the military occasionally goes inactive to haul scores of silver goblets or whatever from the bottom of the earth. So... so there's that.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:08:34 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 02:09:47 pm »

I propose a fast track option: Send them after anything minor that shows up. Live combat will be much better as far as training goes, plus crap like trogs and crundles can turn into a nuisance if not managed by something. Solo drills are, in my opinion, actually pretty shit for doing anything but raising discipline and weapon skill at a glacial pace, and weapon skill is (again, in my opinion,) less important than dodge and shield user. Knowing how to use your weapon is fine, but there's more to being a soldier than knowing how to hurt someone with the business end of your weapon. Avoiding injury is paramount as well, and armor can't stop stuff like a forgotten beast (hell, it won't even stop an elephant, never mind something the size of a small building.)

If not pest control, just having them train would have probably been better and let them grind up multiple skills instead of just thier weapon skill.

But yeah, no reason not to kill that thing. Send in the axe lords.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 03:34:08 pm »

After seeing the skills, I think you're capable of taking the beast on, but only if you send like, everything you have after it and accept a few deaths. So, while you can probably win if need be, going on the offense is a big no-no in my opinion.

And, while this is getting off-topic, I can't help but disagree with your take on weapon skill. Sure, I see your point in "hey, lets keep this dorf not dead" but weapon skill involves parrying, and defense doesn't matter if your opponent is dead. Weapon skill might not be quite as reliable as some good old shield user, but it's definitely more powerful.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:11 pm »

What I mean is just solo drills only raise a couple skills at any appreciable rate, if they do the others at all.

This puts such a soldier at a serious disadvantage vs a soldier who has dodger and shield user as well, and raises it a glacial pace compared to actual uninterrupted training which raises everything necessary for a good and well rounded melee fighter (fighter, dodge, armor, shield, observer, and a bit of other skills, namely wrestling, striker, kicker, and misc. weapon.) This is a contrast to solo drills which appear to only raise weapon skill very slowly, and discipline, which it appears to raise reasonably well.

It's been what, two years and Splint is Talented (level 7,) novice Shield (level 1,) and adequate dodge (level 2)? His observer and fighter are probably products of the drawn out fight with the trog (which raise rather quickly and is often the first skills to reach legendary on my own soldiers when training them from scratch,) and discipline raises much faster from solo drills than weapon skill. Regardless, unless he one shots the thing or gets stupidly lucky, that FB would eat his soul.

The axe lords on the other hand, who have had time to actually train, are probably perfectly capable of killing that thing as a team without any casualties (maybe not solo, I don't know what their skills are,) but any one of them is probably leaps and bounds better than Splint and his squad.

EDIT: Don't overestimate FBs that lack serious powers or materials. The nematode only has a few targetable parts, and its brain is in the biggest target. If it were a webber or dust sprayer, or hell, even deadly blood, I'd say drop a roof on it. But this? Some good soldiers will make mincemeat of it.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:23 pm »

I don't know what their skills are
Oh oh, I can fix that!

Spoiler: Nix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nord (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Besmar (click to show/hide)

Also Nord and Besmar are pretty good at cleaning fish. But that's irrelevant. :))
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:14:47 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:56 pm »

FBs have level 6 skill by comparison so Splint would be screwed if he went in alone - I suppose with a larger squad backing him up he could contribute but he'd probably still die or atleast be severely injured. Parrying doesn't matter in this case since its only for weapon attacks, not for natural unarmed attacks, and with only 2 in dodge and 1 in shield its unlikely he'd be able to contend with the 6 in both fighting AND biting/striking/kicking.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 04:18:39 pm »

Yeah those axe lords would mop the floor with the FB. Send them, definitely send them. Or hell, pick which one you'd like to kill it, because they're all decent enough that any one could probably solo it. Nothing short of insanely bad luck would take the whole squad.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 07:17:15 pm »

I volunteer as tribute. Death or glory  :D
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 07:49:10 am »

Right then! I'm closing the voting floor; it's about time for me to start playing out the update...

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earthentomb: That was a *lot* of images to process
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 01:52:49 pm »

So it is decided! Nix and Besmar shall sally forth to slay the beast, with Nord held in reserve.
There is much digging yet to do before we break properly into the caverns. The axe lords train in meantime...

A creative spirit has taken Id the woodworker!

She quickly dissappears into her workshop
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
grabs a couple logs and a bolt of silk
and sets to work...

A few days later, she's done!
It's not much of an artifact, truth be told...
...but hey, I'm just happy Id's ready to get back to work. We have stuff that needs making!

It... it didn't occur to me that a second one would show up...
At least this one's a pushover too. Also, not disgusting.

Actually-- hold that thought--
...Oh. Welp. That settles that I guess.

After long weeks of digging, the time has come to face our dread enemy.
I place the necessary station orders
and once the two chosen axe-lords are gathered together
I order the seal broken.

Zanor rushes forth, eager to exploit the sudden gap.
I sound the kill command
and Nix rushes through the breach.

Her skill is legend.
Her foe is legend.
The two meet.

The beast bites. Its jaws ring against Nix's shield.
Nix bites back.

The beast strikes. It misses. The beast strikes. Bronze bites into its flesh.
The beast charges. There is no dwarf where it passes. The beast wheels, and again the axe tears its flesh.

Besmar rushes the breach.
Together now the sparring partners hew. Again and again the beast lashes with its stinger and its jaws, and always there is no dwarf where it strikes.
Besmar strikes at Zanor's stinger. The stinger splits in two.
Frothing ichor springs from the wound.
Nix strikes at Zanor's shell. The shell splits in two.
Frothing ichor spatters the walls.
Again and again the two axe-lords strike at the writhing roundworm
and at last, its dread stinger is sent spiralling through the air, flecks of ichor flying in its wake.

Besmar strikes, and even the beast's mouth is rendered useless. Desperate, it charges Nix suddenly, bowling her over...
...and unfazed, she leaps up, axe singing.
The end is nigh.
In the end, it is Besmar that takes the kill.

A wall is quickly built to seal the breach
excavation resumes
and Zanor's ruined corpse is hauled off to the butchery.
It'd be a pity to waste such an abundance of meat!

With Zanor well and truly dead, I'm free to focus on other projects.

Up top, we have our first above-ground bedroom wing!
I'll be building two more before I start construction on more interesting levels.

Down below, we have the designations for four long chambers, which will be used to evaporate excess magma from the minecart-hauling operations.
Why are they so big? Because it looks cool that's why.

Annd somewhere in the middle, our dining room is smooth and shiny and beautiful!
I've had one of our marksdwarves working on it.
He's getting pretty good at what he does.

<< Previous post | Next post >>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:03:39 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »

Told ya they could take it.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2019, 04:28:41 pm »

Did three different forts just all climax at the same time?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2019, 04:40:41 pm »

Told ya they could take it.

They could take it! :D

I'm playing through the next update, and at this point, you could probably take have taken it too.

Did three different forts just all climax at the same time?

Nahh... two forts. "El Wormo" was more of a random encounter than a climax, really; I'll have to find something else to fight if I want a proper battle royale... maybe I'll punch through [SPOILER] at some point meself?

Or maybe I'll just retire! An established fortress might be fun to take an adventurer through sometime... especially seeing as adventurers can pull levers. Waltz in to the uber-danger-doom-lever room, pull a couple things, watch and laugh as the world burns around you!

Ooh, I could let RNG decide, and mine out a little adamantine. If I get lucky, I'll turn the diggings into high-quality adventurer gear and retire. If I get unlucky... well, "dug-too-deep" is the way to end a fort with dignity. Either way, I win.

Yes. Yes, I think I like that best.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:56:05 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2019, 04:51:52 pm »

Well,. the dodger still leaves a bit to be desired, but that's much better than last time!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4