Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any idea how to get those tile graphics from this game for DF?  (Read 4713 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690180
i like the style - can we make a tileset of it?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: any idea how to get those tile graphics from this game for DF?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 02:40:41 pm »

It would be doable, to a degree. You'd have to figure what "wall" texture you'd want (probably the cobble stone/brick one) same with the floor.

But it could never be 100% however the guys working with DFHack's render stuff might know how to make a "type" of wall look like a wall (brick, metal, wood) I think Meph has something similar with his MW mod. But I think the closest would be like 90% close?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »

It would be doable, to a degree. You'd have to figure what "wall" texture you'd want (probably the cobble stone/brick one) same with the floor.

But it could never be 100% however the guys working with DFHack's render stuff might know how to make a "type" of wall look like a wall (brick, metal, wood) I think Meph has something similar with his MW mod. But I think the closest would be like 90% close?
i know what you mean, the pseudo-height of thewalls is of course just a trick and someone made some proof of concept stuff or was it just a mockup of it before...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:28:29 pm »

took a screencap and traced one of the tiles (A door, was the easiest to tell what was a full tile) and it'd be a 40x40 tileset but since everything is like 2-pixels thick, probably could slap it down to a 20x20

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 01:42:58 am »

took a screencap and traced one of the tiles (A door, was the easiest to tell what was a full tile) and it'd be a 40x40 tileset but since everything is like 2-pixels thick, probably could slap it down to a 20x20
20x20 sounds reasonable.
i could contact the creator and maybe they like the idea and give the textures for that :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 12:11:10 am »

I'm giving it a go, just taking screen caps from the game, and then mocking up some walls, the floor is done. easy. the walls are a bit, because I have to emulate that the wall is double sided (counts as the top and bottom wall, left and right)

But yeah might not look anything close to the game, more like "inspired by" in a sense

However I've been more of a "DF raw modder" than a "Tile-set creator" so probably a true tileset maker could whip it up easy as pie and have it still fit in the game perfectly

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 01:27:09 am »

Here's some samples of it, not truely like the game, but I tried (just have the rest to do, and to make a custom Pillar Tile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a "streched" default DF curses set on the backdrop to fill in the stuff I'm not done yet.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:03:45 pm »

Several days of me working on it off and on. It is done??
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174396.0

I tried to get close to the games art regarding walls, but had to make some cuts regarding it.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 12:06:40 pm »

Several days of me working on it off and on. It is done??
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174396.0

I tried to get close to the games art regarding walls, but had to make some cuts regarding it.
my reaction:
:o  :) Thanks
this looks really good.
in later levels, there are tiles for water and some plants, sand, differne tkinds of stone etc.
this might actually become a complete tileset :)