Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible for members of the same civ who are different races to marry?  (Read 2862 times)

Urist McMelonlover

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I was reading through legends, as I usually do when I generate a new world. I read that a custom race/civ of mine, the Rythonians of The Confederations of Soul, had conquered an Elven civ (they were thoroughly pillaged, butchered and enslaved. blessed be Armok).

Since there are now many Elves that are now members of the Rythonian civ  I thought to myself: "Since they are in the same entity: Could an elf have the potential to marry a rythonian or vice versa?"(gross).

I'm curious, have any of you ever encountered something like this in the wild or do you know if it is even possible?
Imma say probably not..

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

You're right, it's not possible. Not yet, anyway.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Urist McMelonlover

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Cool.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I understand the reason for the absence of mixed race marriages is the technical problem of "constructing" half breeds from the specs of the parents. Mixed race relations are present in Threetoe's stories (there may be half breeds as well, I'm not sure). Once the biological half breed problem has been tackled, together with the even harder magical hybridization problem, I'd expect mixed race marriages to become possible, although I wouldn't be surprised of there were some restrictions, i.e. biological incompatibilities (such as between e.g. draconic [e.g. D&D Kobold] and mammalian (most fantasy races). Don't hold your breath, though, as this won't happen before the Myth & Magic arc. It may happen in it, and it may not make it...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

At least two of Threetoe's stories ("Snatcher" and "Half-Dwarf") do indeed have half-breeds (a half-elf, half-goblin and half-dwarf, half-human respectively). But yeah, won't become reality until mythgen at the very earliest.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wondering how dwarf moms would give birth to babies of bigger races? I mean, I've heard that with dogs, if you crossbreed big and small races, the smaller one must be the dad, or something. Because birth would be impossible with small mom and big puppy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Firstly, this is fantasy, so certain technical details can be glossed over. Secondly, the difference in size between the main races is much smaller than between dog breeds (animal people might cause trouble there), approaching the spread of actual human groups (various pygmy peoples are, obviously, rather small, with the largest groups probably not reaching thrice the weight [on average] of the smallest ones).

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the difference in size between the main races is much smaller than between dog breeds
Welp, didn't know that!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

According to the raws, the average size of the races is 60 kilograms for dwarves, elves, and goblins, 70 for humans, and 20 for kobolds.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

According to the raws, the average size of the races is 60 kilograms for dwarves, elves, and goblins, 70 for humans, and 20 for kobolds.
You're missing a zero on each of those masses. 600, 700, 200.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe there's some funky business with how the numbers are handled in the game (raws actually in hectograms?), but 70 kilograms for an average human is fairly close to the pre fatsplosion level of real world humans (I think aviation used the value 72 kg per person for weight and fuel calculation purposes, but I may remember it incorrectly). A pound is 0.454 kilograms (or 454 grams, of course) for the non metric crowd, so you'd get a ballpark pound figure by just doubling the kilogram one. 700 kg is way out of bounds, well exceeding even the heaviest human being that's ever existed.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

60 kg = 132 lbs
70 kg = 154 lbs
20 kg = 44 lbs

600 kg = 1322 lbs
700 kg = 1543 lbs
200 kg = 440 lbs

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

The wiki gives a weight formula, claiming it's equivalent to a kilogram:
Weight (in Γ) = Density (in kg/m3) * Volume*10 (in cm3) / 1,000,000 (cm3/m3)

I guess the cm3 applies to the whole Volume*10 term, then.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel

As far as I understand the reason for the absence of mixed race marriages is the technical problem of "constructing" half breeds from the specs of the parents. Mixed race relations are present in Threetoe's stories (there may be half breeds as well, I'm not sure). Once the biological half breed problem has been tackled, together with the even harder magical hybridization problem, I'd expect mixed race marriages to become possible, although I wouldn't be surprised of there were some restrictions, i.e. biological incompatibilities (such as between e.g. draconic [e.g. D&D Kobold] and mammalian (most fantasy races). Don't hold your breath, though, as this won't happen before the Myth & Magic arc. It may happen in it, and it may not make it...

While halflings would be cool and all, it could also work similar to homosexual dwarves - yes, they can marry, but can't have children of their own and could be explained away by genetics.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).