Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run DF in Ubuntu?  (Read 1754 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Run DF in Ubuntu?
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:30:32 am »

I have been using Windows but now I'm using a laptop whose OS is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. After downloading the .tar.bz2 file, what do i do to run DF?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Run DF in Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:37:25 am »

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:02:44 am »

I wanted to install it in "Documents" folder so I typed "cd Documents" in terminal but it said no file is found. So i clicked the .tar.bz2 file and extracted it and a folder df_linux appeared and there's a file called "df".

When i clicked the file it was opened by VIM and the program couldn't run.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:14:49 am »

error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After learning some linux syntax I managed to get to the "./df" step but this error message appeared.

How do I install this thing?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:26:19 am »

It is likely you need to install a few packages.  In addition to checking the previous link under Debian-based this thread also has a number of suggestions. https://askubuntu.com/questions/226613/how-do-i-install-the-library-libsdl-image-1-2-so-0-required-to-run-dwarf-fortres

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 05:33:07 am »

Thanks! I'm reading these right now.

When I input "sudo apt-get install libSDL_image-1.2.so.0" it said no package is found

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 05:41:35 am »

When I typed "sudo apt-get install libSDL_image" it said cannot locate package.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 05:42:36 am »

That file is a library that will be provided as part of another package.

I don't use Ubuntu myself but try in a terminal (from the second link)
Code: [Select]
apt-file search  libSDL_image-1.2.so.0Assuming you have apt-file installed this should return the package(s) which provide that library.  But you will very likely need other packages as well.  (The message gets returned when there are problems accessing other components, from what i can tell.)

My guess would be that the basics you need will be
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0assuming you are on a 64-bit system, though you may need more - see the lost post in the second link [edit] but without the i386 if you are on 64bit.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:47:33 am by feelotraveller »

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:33:19 am »

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0

I typed this line into the terminal and when it finished installing I did the "./df" thing and it worked.

Thank you for your help!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 07:36:38 am »

The last question: it seems that every time I want to launch DF I have to do the "./df" thing?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:49:13 am »

And another question: how do we press F1 in game? As when I press F1 it opens the Ubuntu terminal help file?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 05:24:37 am »

I guess you should be able to rebind your ubuntu keys to be more context-sensitive, or swap terminals. Don't have that problem myself, though on lubuntu.

The last question: it seems that every time I want to launch DF I have to do the "./df" thing?
I can just do right click-open-execute to launch. But I use terminal for dfhack anyway.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 11:54:54 am »

thanks! it suddenly responds to F1 correctly.

i'll try rihgt click tomorrow