Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD  (Read 13507 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »

If you're after wads, give a try to Oblige
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

It's very configurable and the levels it will generate aren't bad at all, sometime better than some of the manually built levels i played years ago. Of course not as good as what a map expert can build but for a quick "never played before" levels/episodes , generating with Oblige can deliver some must needed fun (even more if you run them through a gameplay mod)

edit : an alternative to Oblige is Obhack (that was a fork of a very old version of Oblige 0.97, both Oblige and Obhack were developped up to 2017)
https://www.samiam.org/slump/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:14:58 pm by Robsoie »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2018, 09:02:25 am »

If you're after wads, give a try to Oblige
http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Oblige is really, really great fun with friends - I set it up with 4-5 people and we had a blast with them. The issue with map packs is that often the designer will have put in a few 'novelty' levels or levels that aren't 'core gameplay' - whilst these can be fun singleplayer, they sometimes don't work multiplayer or sort of ruin the flow a bit whereas oblige maps just sort of work (for the most part).

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2018, 01:26:17 pm »

Playing in coop allows what could be simply average maps in single player to get a new layer of fun.
Basically what those guys mentionned in their review, playing nearly 2000 Oblige-generated map in coop.
http://wondersmith.com/coop/oblige.htm

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2019, 06:57:53 am »

Some dark necromancy update :

John Romero returns to the original Doom with the release of SI6IL the new Doom episode, available as promised in free and in various commercial version :
https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il

Require the doom or ultimate doom iwad, not the doom2 one for some reason (edit : apparently SI6IL is designed as the 5th episode of Doom 1 , so unfortunately no new Doom 2 enemies there).

Played the 3 first levels so far (in zandronum, but it should be compatible with gzdoom too) those were very hell themed and unfortunately it's a bit underwhelming in comparison to the few campaigns i played last years in doom, at least on those 3 levels i played there are too many small cramped paths and too few open rooms for my taste. Hopefully it will get better later as after all it's only the beginning of the episode the epic stuff should be on later levels.

Noticed also that Brutal Doom reached its gold v21 release
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/news/brutal-doom-v21

edit : noticed someone made a full play on youtube with both SI6IL and Brutal Doom v21 so you can get a preview of both things in one :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFGKcaYRIhE

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:45:43 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:29 am »

I got Doom 2016 on sale. And I'm glad.

Was it fun? Sure. Was it fast? Sure. Were the kills satisfying? Sure. Was the DOOMGUY stylings fresh and amusing? Sure.

But it was an arcade game, plain and simple. The whole "Lock you in an arena to fight some d00ds" wrecked the illusion for me. Doom was not a horror game, but it had that tension. Where are the guys going to come from. What walls are going to open up and vomit monsters at me. I can hear some fucking guy breathing WHERE IS HE.

Doom 2016 had very little of that. You knew where the fights were, when they were coming and gameplay basically became "GOTTA GO FAST" or you died.

It's a game I will likely never fire up again, because it just wasn't that interesting. It was a quality effort but in the end felt very surface level. The best part of the game was the protag giving the middle finger to the entire story.......but then they fucked that up by hyper-inflating DOOMGUY into some mythical fucking being. DOOMGUY was a guy, that's what made him special. The same way Imperial Guardsmen fighting off the worst of the 40k universe with just their sheer HUMANNESS is what made the old DOOM games work. But then they had to crawl up their own ass with it.

That part actually annoyed me the worst. "Oh look at us, we're so edgy, we punch our own talking heads in our own games." And then I had to sit through countless voice overs and audio logs about how DOOMGUY is so fucking amazing blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

So yeah. I've never agreed with the hype around Doom 2016 and after playing it, my mind was not changed. I actually PREFER Doom 3's staid and plodding gameplay because at least the atmosphere got me in to the game. Doom 2016 just bounced from set piece to set piece, punctuated by arena-based fight one after another, until I felt like beating the game was a job rather than a MISSION.

If they had:
a) had better monster designs that didn't look so cartoony to me
b) had an open level design for the combat rather than stuffing you into an arena
c) had interesting and creative level design (Doom 2016's hell was more or less a prettier looking version of Doom 3's hell....i.e. it was uncreative garbo.)
d) had toned down the whole "cock rock until your eyes bleed" soundtrack
e) had more satanic shit
f) tried to actually be spooky and tense

I would have enjoyed the game a lot more. But it was clearly made for a different audience. Perhaps one with a much lower attention span than mine. Because I honestly found myself bored about halfway through the game, and it was only the fact that combat was reasonably challenging and fun that I finished the game at all.

So yeah. Not exactly hyped for the next entry in the series.

Really I think my issue was this: Doom was a METAL game. It was rebellious. It was offensive. It was gritty.

Doom 3 and on are none of these things. They're METAL because they play HEAVY METAL MUSIC. It's rebellious because REMEMBER HOW COOL DOOM WAS?!?! It's offensive because they have some gore kills. It's gritty because.....no, it's not fucking gritty at all. It's so goddamn shiny you can see yourself reflected in every surface. Doom 2016 aped what it thought the Doom games were while missing a large chunk of its identity, and substituted in bland AAA game design and priorities instead.

Have you tried DoomRL? It was based off a combination of the first 2 Doom games, and the comic. Luckily, the comic is mostly used for the names and descriptions of skills and weapons. Then he added in weapon mods, and weird combinations of mods. Still a good game. It's turn-based, but the speed run challenges (somewhat harder after the second and third areas were added) make it feel like Doom again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:23 am »

Have you tried DoomRL? It was based off a combination of lots of different animes

Slight correction there.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 10:26:22 am »

Have you tried DoomRL? It was based off a combination of lots of different animes

Slight correction there.

Those and the 40K references were mostly added for the special weapons. But it was a notable omission on my part.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 10:35:40 am »

> Doom 2016 had very little of that. You knew where the fights were, when they were coming and gameplay basically became "GOTTA GO FAST" or you died.

yeah saw the various presentations of the 2019 version, it has very little of doom and lotta whole of quake. it's graphically excellent, but as far as gameplay go it reminds me of the latter.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:02 am »

Mentionned in previous posts the most excellent Oblige or the fork of an older version of it, Obhack , that allow to generate whole maps layouts (and also whole episodes) randomly to create near infinity replayability in Doom .
Additionally someone made a 64bits version of the Oblige executable :
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=64879

But what i didn't knew until now is the existence of ObAddon, that is a big addon to Oblige and add huge amount of new prefabs and layouts possibilities with lots of new options for even more variety in the generated levels
https://github.com/caligari87/ObAddon

Requires Oblige (not Obhack) , after putting the ObAddon pk3 into Oblige addon folder, launch Oblige and go to Menu -> Addons to enable it, Restart Oblige and enjoy the new stuff :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's just fantastic to play and replay Doom with your favorite gameplay mods.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2019, 11:30:37 pm »

So I found a thing: Memoirs of Magic. I'd generally make a thread, but since it is TECHNICALLY a doom WAD, even if it doesn't require the original WADs, I guess it goes here. It's self-contained with a copy of GZDOOM so it's ready to go right after you unpack. Link contains the game trailer and screenshots.

Think Zelda-esque adventure via FPS RPG, right down to the water temple being a fustercluck. While the dungeons need to go in order, the rest of the world is technically non-linear. I've been playing a save for over 6 hours and I've only beaten the second (out of 6) dungeons.

There are seven classes to choose from, each with signature weapons and secondary abilities in addition to magic and alchemy weapons + special ammo you can purchase. Gunslinger is the most doom-esque, while for starters I'd recommend Cleric (free self-healing + b**** food; heavily reliant on melee early on, so buy some weapons asap) knight (agile + early exploration + very useful passive) or warrior (bigger melee hitbox + awesome starter weapons).

A couple of tips and things I wish I knew when I started:
Alchemy points (alchemy weapon ammo) doesn't regenerate from sleeping at an inn. Only potions and nitro jelly recover them.
Some weapons are very useful for some areas and may be worth "sequence breaking" a little for.
You can cook and ? ? ? food! Drop it near a fire or use any heat source.
Some items can only be used by some classes; Books of diplomacy and gun parts to name a few.
Rings may have both good and bad effects. You can also wear multiple rings.
Lockpicking is a rogue only thing, so ignore them otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:33:05 pm by Blaze »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:53 am »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2019, 08:05:33 am »

It was my less favorite version of Doom back in its day.

There's a "Brutal" version of doom64 for those interested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:48 am »

It was my less favorite version of Doom back in its day.

There's a "Brutal" version of doom64 for those interested.
I didn't particularly like the brutal doom 64 version. I'm currently trying out the Retribution mod instead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]