Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Fishing Expanded  (Read 16769 times)

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Expanded
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »

Holy crap,that's a lot of fish!!!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2019, 04:32:59 pm »

Holy crap,that's a lot of fish!!!

I'm expecting the ocean biome update to add more fish than the freshwater biomes have combined :)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »

It was a productive day. I have added all of the amphibians and reptiles to both the temperate freshwater and tropical freshwater biomes. I have also finished adding all of the freshwater giant variants and freshwater animal person variants to both biomes. I had already added the temperate freshwater fish and am now almost done adding the tropical freshwater fish.

Once the few remaining fish are added to the tropical freshwater biome, the only thing left that has to get done for the v1 release is to allocate the correct butcherable parts for each fish (skin/scales/roe/etc). I will attempt to get live wells and fish bowls in the first release, but I am not sure if I will get unique colors and traits added to the animal person variants in v1.0.

I have decided to dedicate v2.0 to adding a variety of non-vermin sharks, dolphins and whales :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2019, 06:20:09 pm »

This might bring even me to some limit when it comes to applying sprites. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2019, 09:01:58 am »

I finally found time to do some extensive testing and unfortunately, I do not think that butchering is going to be viable. There are a lot of small bugs with it that make for a frustrating experience. First off, even without [FISHITEM], dwarves (very rarely) pull out raw fish. These items are not stored in the stockpile though and just sit under the dwarf that pulled it in. It happens very rarely and inconsistently. Dwarves will fish for months and maybe pull in one raw fish during that time. I can only assume that this comes from the [VERMIN_FISH] tag, but I am not sure. It also seems that only one live fish can be caught at a time per fishery (i.e. even with multiple "catch live" orders only one dwarf will fulfill it). This means that you have to have a fishery per "catch live" dwarf. In addition, you have to manually order "catch live" every time a fish is caught. I believe this is because the "clean fish" order (which is automatically created) overwrites it. The butcher's shop also automatically creates "butcher" orders, so getting a butcher to stop butchering all of your live fish (that aren't in an aquarium) is almost impossible.

Of note: In the first test fortress I ran today, for whatever reason the dwarves refused to do the "catch live" fish order. I am not sure why. They would not grab an animal trap and go to the river. I assume it had to do with the order I set the profession/built the trap/built the fishery/made the "catch live" order, but like I said, I don't know. So, I deleted that save and started again. In the second test fortress, I could once again visibly see fish in the water (as intended), but for whatever reason nothing was being "caught live". The dwarf trying eventually died of thirst. I ordered it again, but once again the dwarf went to the water and tried for a long time. In the third test fortress, after catching live fish for awhile I got a message saying that the area was no longer suitable to catch "live fish". During all of these tests (and the paragraph above), I made no changes to the raws.

So, I am going to add the fishitem, not_butcherable and small remains tags back. I will keep all fish cookable live and keep small fish live caught only. I am not sure what this means yet for roe, oil, etc. but I think that this is the best way to handle fish for now. butcherable vermin_fish seem to have a lot of inconsistent and non-reproducible bugs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 09:31:45 am »

Sounds almost like a vanilla DF bug to me.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:31 am »

Sounds almost like a vanilla DF bug to me.

Yeah. Oh well, using the vanilla fishing mechanic works too. I just have to figure out the vermin extraction.

On another note. Here in the tropics is a school of spotted tilapia swimming with some alligators :)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2019, 07:38:38 pm »

v1.0 has been posted!

I will be moving all future discussion to the mod release board: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174639.0

I did not get the fishbowl, live wells or extraction items (roe, oil, etc) in v1.0, but all freshwater fish are in and working.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]