Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fishing Expanded  (Read 16811 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Expanded
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2019, 06:57:24 am »

So... considering that Toady added crab, sponge, and oysters/mussels, will you do a list of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_invertebrates ?

I am definitely adding in invertebrates. This is the list of the ones that I have already added:

Freshwater Temperate:

Blue Crayfish
Lake Prawn
Murray Crayfish
Rusty Crayfish
Signal Crawfish
Duck Mussel
Oyster Mussel
Pearl Mussel
Swan Mussel

Freshwater Tropical:

Golden Mussel
Zebra Mussel
Cherry Shrimp
Crystal Red Shrimp
Crystal Black Shrimp
Tiger Shrimp
Bolt Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp
Vampire Shrimp

I actually decided that I am going to add the other small aquatic frogs, salamanders, turtles, etc. as well.

microvermin swarms of plankton? ;)

This is a cool idea. I'll try to add plankton and krill

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2019, 07:57:36 am »

I have been very busy lately, but I made a lot of changes to the structure of this mod. Minnows and other small fish are now only catchable live and found mainly in ponds. I have also been messing with cluster size to control rarity and variety.  I am now going to mess around with removing underswim so that you can see all of the fish in the water. I am still adding the tropical fish but have been spending time doing these overall quality changes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2019, 04:42:41 pm »

removing underswim so that you can see all of the fish in the water.
What?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »

The vermin fish in vanilla DF have an [UNDERSWIM] tag which makes them invisible. You can still see fish that are considered creatures and show up as wild animals (like pike), but all of the vermin fish caught through fishing do not show up in the water. I have removed the [UNDERSWIM] tag from all of the fish (except for minnows and other small fish), so that they appear in the rivers, lakes and ponds. Here is a group of black banded sunfish (that are vermin and can be caught through fishing) in a river.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2019, 04:42:35 am »

I currently have a lot in work for this mod. I am now messing with population numbers, cluster numbers and the loose cluster tag to control fish variety. Also, beacuse I have set minnows and other small fish to only be caught live, I have made all fish cookable live (can I interest anyone in some goldfish biscuits?). I am now going to try and remove the not butcherable and small remains tags (except from minnows and other small fish) and try to allow for these fish to be butchered even though they are vermin. If I can, making roe, oil, etc. will be a lot easier. At the same time, I am working on the reactions for live wells and fishbowls and finishing adding the tropical freshwater fish as well as the aquatic reptiles and amphibians (turtles, frogs, snakes, newts, etc). Once I have all of this done (as well as adding the roe, oil, etc. and any complimentary reactions) I think I will release a v1.0.  Then, v2.0 will add all of the ocean life.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2019, 07:43:19 am »

If you need any help, let me know. I'm always impressed by how thorougly you do your mods. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2019, 01:33:15 pm »

Thanks man. I appreciate it :) right now I am just plugging in values and testing. I will let you know if I run into any issues with extracting/butchering of the materials from the creatures and their reactions. If you have any more ideas/requests for the ocean biome let me know and I will add them to the list. I think that ocen update will include a lot of content.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »

You can test underwater plants, for corals, anemones, sea grass, etc.

Or small-cluster inorganics with [SOIL_OCEAN] that could look like coral reefs. I don't know if those really work, but it would be cool. I know that DF usually just shows water, and not the floor itself, but TWBT can fix that. On the other hand, that would make the mod dfhack-dependent.

I wouldn't mind giant/animal-men versions of aquatic animals, with the added amphibious tag, to allow them to go on land. Why don't we have gigantic cuttlefish or shark-men in the game? Come on!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2019, 06:11:51 pm »

You can test underwater plants, for corals, anemones, sea grass, etc.

Or small-cluster inorganics with [SOIL_OCEAN] that could look like coral reefs. I don't know if those really work, but it would be cool. I know that DF usually just shows water, and not the floor itself, but TWBT can fix that. On the other hand, that would make the mod dfhack-dependent.

That would be cool. I want to avoid df-hack, but I could make some of these aquatic vermin creatures that can't be fished. So, you could still see sea anemones, sea stars and coral on the ocean floor, but would have to drain that area to reach them. I could even do this for some sea grasses and seaweed and just make them vermin with small remains. Could even do this with freshwater river grasses. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind giant/animal-men versions of aquatic animals, with the added amphibious tag, to allow them to go on land. Why don't we have gigantic cuttlefish or shark-men in the game? Come on!

Very cool idea. I could add the following to v1.0 with the freshwater release and then do some saltwater animal-men with the v2.0 update. thoughts?

Largemouth Bass Man
Peacock Bass Man
Channel Catfish Man
Signal Crawfish Man
Swamp Eel Man
Alligator Gar Man
Longnose Gar Man
Perch Man
Pike Man
Chain Pickerel Man
Snakehead Man
Sockeye Salmon Man
Bluegill Man
Green Sunfish Man
Warmouth Man
Brown Trout Man

Green Arowana Man
Combtail Betta Man
Golden Mahseer Man
Carp Man
Koi Man
Angelfish Man
Electric Eel Man
Paradise Fish Man
Goldfish Man
Black Pacu Man
Red-bellied Piranha Man
Neon Tetra Man
Payara Man
Tigerfish Man
Wolffish Man
Blue Tilapia Man
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:07:09 am by brolol.404 »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2019, 09:51:59 am »

The following creatures have been added and are in game :)

Largemouth Bass Man
Peacock Bass Man
Channel Catfish Man
Signal Crawfish Man
Swamp Eel Man
Alligator Gar Man
Longnose Gar Man
Perch Man
Pike Man
Chain Pickerel Man
Snakehead Man
Sockeye Salmon Man
Bluegill Man
Green Sunfish Man
Warmouth Man
Brown Trout Man

Giant Largemouth Bass
Giant Peacock Bass
Giant Channel Catfish
Giant Signal Crawfish
Giant Swamp Eel
Giant Longnose Gar
Giant Perch
Giant Pike
Giant Chain Pickerel
Giant Sockeye Salmon
Giant Bluegill
Giant Green Sunfish
Giant Warmouth
Giant Brown Trout

However, the giant variants remain vermin, but are 4x their regular size and are mythic in rarity. A Giant Alligator Gar and Giant Snakehead are already in game with unique sizes based on their real life equivalent.

I will add the tropical freshwater fish variants after I finish getting the tropical freshwater fish in game.

If you have any requests for an animal person variant or giant variant from the fish in this mod but not on this list, let me know and I will add them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2019, 11:29:20 am »

I just want zombified great white shark men to roam the country, that's all.  8)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2019, 01:16:02 pm »

Well, I got butchering vermin fish to work. Unfortunately, the only way it works is if [FISHITEM] is removed.

So, I can get fish to drop unique materials (like roe, oils, unique pearls/shells, etc.), but the fishing skill would only be usable with the "catch live fish" reaction at a fishery. Dwarves could no longer just randomly catch fish with their hands once the fishing skill was engaged. Instead, animal traps would have to be made and dwarves would have to catch fish live. The fish could then either be: cooked live, put into an aquarium or butchered. This also means that small fish (like minnows) would be caught along with the larger fish for use in aquariums, but would not be butcherable and would either have to be: cooked live or put into an aquarium. Also, "fish cleaning" at a fishery would no longer be a game mechanic as there would be no raw fish to clean.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Should all fish be set to only catchable live to allow for butchering and unique material drops? I kind of like the idea of it. It would make fishing more engaging and accurately display the fish weights. It would also force you to store live fish in aquariums (if you decide to stockpile fish) so that the meat doesnt go bad after butchering. You could no longer just let dead fish lay around for years. thoughts?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2019, 01:22:55 pm »

Stupid idea, but: Copy all fish; one version with FISHITEM, one version without. Play with both at the same time.

Players won't see the difference ingame, but they can still catch the CREATURE:Signal_Crawfish_with_Fishitem using traps and make roe, oils, shells; AND(!) catch the CREATURE:Signal_Crawfish_without_Fishitem with their regular fishing skill, producing food.

If you want fish to not stay around forever, make their bones with a custom material with [HEATDAM_POINT:X] and [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:X+1]. They will slooooowly take heat damage and disintegrate after a while. I think with +1 it's around 9 months, +2 should be around 3-4 months. Been a while though. I know it works with items; I've never tried it on creatures. :D

EDIT: Not sure if trapped vermin show inside of aquariums, but if you want a fishbowl that is transparent and large enough to accomodate most fish sprites:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:04:33 pm by Meph »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2019, 04:36:42 pm »

Not sure if trapped vermin show inside of aquariums, but if you want a fishbowl that is transparent and large enough to accomodate most fish sprites:

Sweet. I will definitely add a fishbowl. Trapped vermin do show up inside of a fishbowl, but I believe the fish sprite is on top of the aquarium sprite.

Stupid idea, but: Copy all fish; one version with FISHITEM, one version without. Play with both at the same time.

Players won't see the difference ingame, but they can still catch the CREATURE:Signal_Crawfish_with_Fishitem using traps and make roe, oils, shells; AND(!) catch the CREATURE:Signal_Crawfish_without_Fishitem with their regular fishing skill, producing food.
I thought about this too, but I don't think it will work. There is a tag to prevent fish from being caught from fishing, but there isn't a tag to prevent fish from being caught live. So, if you catch a live catfish, you won't know whether or not you can butcher it because it could be the [FISHITEM] catfish or the butcherable one. So, you could have 10 live catfish with only a number of them (or none/all of them) being butcherable.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2019, 06:21:53 am »

I decided to make all fish only catchable live (as described above) and with that, I made all minnows (and other small fish) only catchable in pools. So, while some butcherable fish (like sunfish and lungfish) can be caught in ponds (as well as rivers and lakes), the best place to catch butcherable fish is now in rivers and lakes (as now butcherable fish can only be caught in rivers and lakes).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8