Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New things to do in fortress mode?  (Read 3379 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New things to do in fortress mode?
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:31:26 pm »

I read on the dev blog about dwarven assassin and artifact thieves. What is the world size or history length required for these to happen?

I vaguely remember there's a crash bug related to artifact recover mission? What are other crash bugs to avoid?

Are there other new things to do in fortress mode?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New things to do in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:34:43 pm »

Also the last time I played is last summer, and I had noticed then I hadn't seen any kobold thieves, goblin snatchers, or goblin ambushers for quite a while. Are they removed?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:42:03 pm »

The dwarven assassins and artifact thieves aren't ready yet unfortunately, not until the next release.

Also thieves, snatchers and ambushers are definitely still a thing, maybe you've just been unlucky? If the last time you played was last summer then you're likely still playing the latest version (44.12). The upcoming release turned out to be a year-long tangent (business as usual for Toady, in other words) but it also promises some really cool content for both fortress and adventure mode so it'll likely be worth the wait.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:45:33 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:58:14 pm »

What is the world size/ history length required for visitors? Sometimes I have living civilizations accessible but have no visitors.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 08:59:20 pm »

I'd recommend a lengthy world history (mine are usually 200 years or more), I don't think size matters much.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:23:56 pm »

thanks PlumpHelmetMan!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 09:27:14 pm »

No problem, welcome back. :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:25:27 pm »

There is something in world design that reduces the number of visitors. I play 'smaller' worlds with high savagery and beast settings, and since 44.12 came out, only one fort had any visitors, because the non-goblin civs are usually dead or crippled, and because I usually embark nearer to the goblins. For kobolds, there might need to be a kobold civ within range.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 12:51:01 am »

In all my attempts to play in pocket worlds, I've had a total of one (1) visitor. Others have reported seeing visitors in pocket worlds, though. It seems civs need to be of some size to produce enough people to have some visiting your fortress, so worlds with a low populations seem to produce few visitors, and goblin civ members visit only as spies and performance troupe members (where they act as spies in practice), so they don't really count.
Without knowing, I'd expect the length of the history to be of lesser important than the number of members in the civs capable of visiting.

Kobold civs have a high mortality rate, and they have a much shorter raid range (10 world tiles vs 30) than "real" civs, so it can be tricky to find both an embark that's suitable and in range of a kobold site.

The raid equipment crash bug is crippling and makes the current version unplayable, in my opinion.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 12:08:49 pm »

i play a 'smaller' world and set the civ and site to the highest. Got visitors.

What is the raid equipment bug? Does it mean that we can't raid?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »

i play a 'smaller' world and set the civ and site to the highest. Got visitors.

What is the raid equipment bug? Does it mean that we can't raid?

I've never experienced it personally, but all my raids are conducted with naked dwarves whom I don't generally want to return.

From what I've heard, the game crashes sometimes when your dwarves return to your fortress from a raid.  It seems related to how equipment is assigned to dwarves in the code behind the scenes.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 01:36:21 pm »

You should not raid in 44.12, but as soon as the bug is fixed, you should dedicate a fort to the activity, because it is fun.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:41 pm »

I think recall that bug. It was there when I played last year.

It actually only occasionally crashed the game. I just sent out raid party and did nothing until they returned, so if it did crash I lost no progress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 01:31:10 am »

The crash is caused by corrupted equipment, and the crash presumably happens when DF decides to check if militia has any equipment upgrades available, so if you play "raid and do nothing until they return", you need to check all specific equipment lists after each raid to check that none of them has been corrupted (assuming, of course, that the cause has been identified correctly).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 11:53:48 am »

How do we know if one equipment is corrupted?

Pages: [1] 2