Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New things to do in fortress mode?  (Read 3378 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: New things to do in fortress mode?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 12:50:41 pm »

The symptoms appear as a player saying, "this military dwarf is not wearing an item because another dwarf is already wearing it. Why do two uniforms refer to the same item?".

If you have been raiding, you could do the "reassign uniforms and food/drink amounts" actions suggested in that post, to all of your military. It may fix the thing causing the crashes, or it may not.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 03:57:42 pm »

The symptoms appear as a player saying, "this military dwarf is not wearing an item because another dwarf is already wearing it. Why do two uniforms refer to the same item?".

If you have been raiding, you could do the "reassign uniforms and food/drink amounts" actions suggested in that post, to all of your military. It may fix the thing causing the crashes, or it may not.
No, that's a MUCH more benign problem (although it is another bug). The multiple assignment bug just causes some dorfs not to wear some equipment, while the crash bug results in DF crashing (!). The symptom of the crash bug is that one or more equipment categories' "specific item" category contains nonsensical items at the end of the list, typically artifact "books" written very early in the history of the world (and typically not present in the fortress). At a guess DF crashes when it tries to access armor/weapon derived class info, that obviously doesn't exist for "books" (at least that's my theory).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:21 am »

you need to check all specific equipment lists after each raid to check that none of them has been corrupted (assuming, of course, that the cause has been identified correctly).

Do I need to check every slot of every one member of every squad? If I did find corrupted equipment, can I fix that?

edit: can I fix that short from assigning specific equipment to every soldier so they don't upgrade gear?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:39:58 am by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 07:24:56 am »

You only need to check each list: all soldiers have the same set of lists (I think, not sure about humans, who use larger equipment, but I'd suspect the corruption is the same.

There is no known way to fix or avoid the corruption in a fortress. You can block the crash from appearing by disbanding all militia squads and never create any again (or the game will crash as soon as DF checks equipment assignments for your new squads). As far as I understand, assigning specific equipment to all slots does not block DF from checking (and crashing), but I may be wrong on that point.

It's been reported that retiring and resuming a fortress builds equipment lists from scratch, and thus doesn't start corrupted, but corruption will happen eventually if you keep raiding. I haven't tried that remedy myself, but rather keep away from DF until this crash bug is fixed.

It's not known how DF builds the equipment lists, apart from it being dynamic (DFHacking lists to remove unsuitable gear doesn't help as it's back the next time you bring the list up, which is consistent with how DF works in general). Presumably DF draws the equipment from somewhere, but those structures have not been identified (they're not the normal fortress inventory lists, as those don't show any corruption).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 09:55:06 am »

This bug surely looks severe.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »

I think for kobold thieves, you need to be within a certain distance of a kobold-inhabited cave. As caves by default can't be seen, you won't know unless you get pestered. So far thieves have attacked a fort of mine ~4 times or so but always fled immediately when spotted; note that a thief attack is not always one thief - I've had 2 thieves show up at once, but no more than that so far.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 01:48:40 am »

The range for kobolds is 10 tiles vs 30 for the more civilized races. A world gen parameter allows you to show caves, but regardless, the pre embark neighbor info lists kobolds if they are within their strike range.
It's not unusual for kobolds to be wiped out quickly by others, though.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 08:00:46 am »

the pre embark neighbor info lists kobolds if they are within their strike range.

I have never seen this in vanilla with default settings, even when kobolds have been within range.  Are you sure this is not due to something you modded?  (Or perhaps only available if caves are revealed?)

Best way I know of to check for kobolds is to view the civilization map in legends mode.  Need to look before embarking or use a copy of the save where the fort is retired.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 12:02:48 pm »

the pre embark neighbor info lists kobolds if they are within their strike range.

I have never seen this in vanilla with default settings, even when kobolds have been within range.  Are you sure this is not due to something you modded?  (Or perhaps only available if caves are revealed?)

Best way I know of to check for kobolds is to view the civilization map in legends mode.  Need to look before embarking or use a copy of the save where the fort is retired.
Hm, I may mis-remember.  I always look at the world through exported legend info (in Legends Viewer) before embarking, and it might be there I find if they're (usually not) in range.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 09:59:35 pm »

After the archery nerf kobold thief becomes mere petty annoyance again.

The danger with kobold thief used to be that if you let them steal they eventually sent squads of kobold archers which were quite a menace back then.

Pages: 1 [2]