Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY  (Read 51879 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY
« Reply #375 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:19 am »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 05, 2019, 08:53:53 am »

Persus:
At one point I was thinking of fakeclaiming roleblocker because I knew Pooka was one, but decided against it because that would be too complicated.

My main strategy for determining if NJW was scum was seeing how Naturegirl reacted, so her blue voting NJW initially actually made me second guess things. I also considered the possibility of Superdorf being NJW's buddy, but I figured it was less likely.
Yeah...that would have resulted in a mess. You're a strong player, and I can see you probably had a plan and reason for doing it, but the risk of mislynch looks murderous. But by our mass claims and how they interconnected with each other, we had a great picture of Night 2. A web of actions being done where only NJW is the missing link.

Also, I'm glad to see that someone else thought Naturegirl was connected with NJW in one way or another! The blue voting NJW struck me as bussing, and what better lead to that other than her red voting myself in her very next post? She should have continued pursuing NJW, making it appear less likely that these two are scumbuddies.
I was mainly considering it at the very start of D2 before anyone had claimed to try and bait out a fakeclaim. Also because I'd have found it entertaining.

Yeah, when NJW claimed I knew that if he was lying, he had to be scum with Nature as his buddy (Superdorf was possible, but it seemed far less likely). I was considering asking NJW to vote Superdorf to see his reaction to check that, but I didn't end up needing to do that. Yeah, if Nature had continued to go for NJW, it would have made his claims seem much more credible.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 05, 2019, 08:56:43 am »

Other reading for scum players:

The Art of Power Wolfing
A Practical Guide to Open Wolfing
Thanks for this! I'm loving the stuff on power wolfing already.
One wheel short of a wagon

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 05, 2019, 10:01:05 am »

Also, thanks IonMatrix for dying, because I got a bit of use out of your role.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 05, 2019, 10:13:23 am »

Also, thanks IonMatrix for dying, because I got a bit of use out of your role.
I find that oddly hilarious  :P.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 05, 2019, 02:13:20 pm »

Any of the scum up to posting the mafiachat for perusal?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »

Any of the scum up to posting the mafiachat for perusal?
yep

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2019, 03:05:19 pm »

Oh so that's why NJW wanted to know who I "actually" had my eye on, he was worried I might be suspecting him.

Nah, man, I was really off form for like the first week and a half I was back in mafia, which included all my time in this game.

I should probably explain my little cop shenanigans, shouldn't I?

Before superdwarf made a post about... he said something about having weird roles is all I can really remember, but there were basically two universes I was looking at based on my role (Indecisive Doctor).  One, and the universe we were in, was the universe where everyone had roles with weird modifiers and that was a fundamental part of the game.  The other, and the one that comment was geared towards, was the universe where my role was created to offset follow-the-cop potential.

For those who aren't aware, follow-the-cop is a problematic strategy useable in any setup where the town has both a doctor and cop.  The cop claims D1 and reveals their results every night, with the doctor protecting them from hiding and the town no-lynching until the cop finds a scum.  It's a super hard strategy for the scum to break since they can't actually kill the cop, killing the doctor is a crapshoot, and the town isn't mislynching anyone (which is a major part of the scum win condition), so they're in a race against time to randomly kill the doctor before the cop finds them and lynches them.  It's for this reason that placing a doctor and cop in game together, especially an open setup where the cop can know from the start there's a doc, is never done on most dedicated mafia forums without the scum having ways around it (daykills, strongmen, or macho cops all work).

But, back to my point.  In that second universe where my role was a "no follow the cop" precaution, that meant we had a cop in the game and there were a few potential outcomes.  The first was that my super vaguely worded comment (I think we have a cop in this game) were correctly interpreted by the cop as a protective role seeking them out and they would try and signal back.  The second was that the mafia would be taken aback by my statement and, when considering their nightkill, wonder if I wasn't trying to softclaim cop for my later claim and off me, thus removing a much less useful role from the game.  The third, and the bad  outcome, would be the scumteam realizing I was trying to reach out for the cop and giving false signals back to me, convincing me that they were the cop.

The second option was the most likely, and in either scenario was one I was okay with: in a 7-man mafia game a doc isn't a super powerful or helpful role, especially one who was playing as poorly as I was.  The first and third were much less likely, because I kept what exactly I was doing so vague it was super unlikely anyone, even those thinking hard about it, would interpret what I was doing the same way I, who knew my role, did.

tl;dr: It was a long-shot signal to any potential cop to make contact with me and a much more likely signal to the scum that I may be cop, shoot me first.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2019, 03:28:54 pm »

now That the game is over, I learned that it would have been a good idea to kill Superdorf, since he was the most talkative and had a lot of questions. I think another Mafia game would be interesting, hopefully I might not be scum this time, but if I am scum or town, I learned things either way

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2019, 04:03:36 pm »

"You see, the spirits were only trying to help you. Your sins are many, and their sin-eating led to some of you to realize them. But now it's too late."

Mafiachat.

And with those words, the host ended the ceremony and the remaining sinners went back to their sinful lives, unhappily ever after.

Deadchat.

Now, little flies, it's dinner time. Or "tea", as they call it in some countries. I have some old chili in the freezer though, so I have options. Tell me, did you like my story? Did you even listen? If I like the answers, I might let you go.

Tell me, who was the hero of this story?

Spoiler: Roster (click to show/hide)

And what did they do to earn being called 'hero'?

Spoiler: Action history (click to show/hide)

What made that stranger who they were?

Spoiler: Comments on setup (click to show/hide)

What did the hanging scroll tell that stranger to do?

Spoiler: Comments on rules (click to show/hide)

Did that stranger do as the hanging scroll asked them to?

Spoiler: Comments on play (click to show/hide)

And what did you think of the other strangers as individuals?

This was my first time modding, so feedback is very appreciated. Based on the post-game chat, it seems everyone had fun despite my shortcomings, so I'd call the game as a whole a success. It's also breathed some life into the subforum, as there were some new and returning players and there now are several games competing to be the next one in the threshold thread.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:18:18 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 05, 2019, 04:33:22 pm »

Cheers!
The mechanics were interesting, the flavor was clever and just a wee bit creepy. Well done, sirrah!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2019, 04:35:28 pm »

Yes, I liked playing and I liked the theme. It was fun

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2019, 05:11:50 pm »

If you're interested, here are the role flavours that didn't get flipped:

Odd-Night Role Cop:
You are a thief, with an accomplice rummaging through the belongings of the other guests for valuables to steal. Occasionally, they find something interesting that they have to report to you.

2-shot Roleblocker:
You are a dealer of "sundries". You brought some of your stash for your own use, but it seems you will have to use it on the other strangers to make it through this ceremony.

Universal Backup:
You are a robber on the run from the law. This tea ceremony is a perfect opportunity to pick up a new identity...

I wrote the theme to be ambiguous about the "winner of the story", even if the winner of the game is clear. I focused on giving little hints about the mystery and keeping the mood over describing things too clearly. It was a deliberate stylistic choice to always refer to the player characters as "strangers". I could bullshit you further about the "minimalism" of my story, but to be honest I felt pretty lazy at times about my writing, that I didn't write "enough".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2019, 05:34:27 pm »

I like it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2019, 05:45:26 pm »

Naturegirl1999: I'm curious why you chose not to act on N2, by the way. On the off-chance that Pooka didn't roleblock you (for one reason or another), you could have got a kill in or a Loud action to prove your innocence.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27