Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Vanilla Tea Mafia: TOWN VICTORY  (Read 52564 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Tea Mafia: Day One: A Hanging Scroll
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:21 am »

Mean? I’m not feeling particularly mean at all? You asked yourself what the number M smells like. My answer is below
M is the 13th letter of the alphabet. So M is translated to 13. Aluminum is the 13th element of the periodic table, so the number M smells like aluminum.

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
  • Deleting things since 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2019, 10:20:27 am »

It’s interesting. We need to be cautious
If you're talking about how we go with the lynches, then indeed we need to be. Assuming all lynches are mislynches, all night kills are successful, and there are at most two mafiosos, the game would go like this
End of Day 1: 6 players (two mafia and four town)
End of Night 1: 5 players (two mafia and three town)
End of Day 2: 4 players (two mafia and two town)

We're very likely to be at LYLO to-morrow, unless the scum is a one-man team (could be a singular serial killer as scum and no mafia? never saw a one-man scumteam setup before).
Code: [Select]
> os.delete("real_life.py")

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2019, 10:30:09 am »

Mean? I’m not feeling particularly mean at all?
Well that won't do. We're playing Mafia now! Throw some accusations about! Plonk that vote on somebody, push 'em 'til they're sweating!
New question: why am I telling you this?

M is the 13th letter of the alphabet. So M is translated to 13. Aluminum is the 13th element of the periodic table, so the number M smells like aluminum.
Intriguing logic. I would have said "Belgium." But nevertheless, why did you choose to answer something so obviously and deliberately pointless?

If you're talking about how we go with the lynches, then indeed we need to be. Assuming all lynches are mislynches, all night kills are successful, and there are at most two mafiosos, the game would go like this

We're very likely to be at LYLO to-morrow, unless the scum is a one-man team (could be a singular serial killer as scum and no mafia? never saw a one-man scumteam setup before).
Nice analysis... but why are you pushing the analysis so early?
Given your fear of LYLO, do you intend to push for a lynch by the end of Day 1?
Let's say I accused you of, oh, ruminating on mechanics so as to appear useful without actually scumhunting. How might you respond?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
  • Deleting things since 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:43 am »

Nice analysis... but why are you pushing the analysis so early?
Given your fear of LYLO, do you intend to push for a lynch by the end of Day 1?
Let's say I accused you of, oh, ruminating on mechanics so as to appear useful without actually scumhunting. How might you respond?
The last Mafia game I was in was 9 players, and it was a pretty short game where three mistakes handed the Mafia a flawless victory on a plate of silver. Here we got room for TWO mistakes - again assuming there are two scum - before we give the Mafia an easy victory. I do intend to push a lynch by the end of the day, since it will give us useful information (namely the flip and the end of day wagons), but if it's a mislynch, we've got to treat the next lynch as the only chance to hunt scum.

About the mechanics and scumhunting, let's say I'm already doing scumhunting (in the form of voting Persus) and talking about the mechanics so we know what we're into. So far, there's nothing upon which I can build my reads on the players yet, however I am interested in the fact you found me "pushing" this analysis early as if there's something suspect behind it. Have you thought it likely that I did it out of concern that it's easy to lose this game?
Code: [Select]
> os.delete("real_life.py")

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2019, 11:14:18 am »

Decent response.

About the mechanics and scumhunting, let's say I'm already doing scumhunting (in the form of voting Persus) and talking about the mechanics so we know what we're into.
That vote on Persus isn't gonna do much given the question behind it's a fluffy thing... you are responding nicely to the stuff I say, tho. Is good!

So far, there's nothing upon which I can build my reads on the players yet, however I am interested in the fact you found me "pushing" this analysis early as if there's something suspect behind it.
We're in RVS, we are! I'm just kinda throwing about whatever accusations pop into my head.

Have you thought it likely that I did it out of concern that it's easy to lose this game?
The thought maybe-kinda crossed my head, I guess? I wanted to know how you'd answer.
Why is it so important to convey the precariousness of our situation right now, when we're nowhere near a consensus?

klonk
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2019, 11:14:53 am »

Pooka:
Persus13 (red names are votes, right?), what do you think of this mysterious scroll that is hung up on the wall?
I think its flavor text by the mod to create a premise for us to all be trying to kill each other.

You seem to have played Mafia on other forums. Is there any lingo you might use that we might not be acquainted with?

Vigilante is also a possible roll in this set up, which could affect your analysis.

Superdorf:
Persus13: What sort of play are you expecting from us newcomers and semi-newcomers?
There's a couple of different models of newcomer play I've seen in the past. There's people who get paranoid and get suspicious of everyone. There's people who post a mile a minute about irrelevant stuff and badger people for lurking because they don't post 15 minutes after game start (don't be this person). And then there's people who aren't really sure what they're doing so they just flail around until they find something, or decide to drop out because eveything's going over their head and they don't feel like they can fully commit.

I'm sure there's other models of newcomer play, but those are the ones I remember.

Naturegirl: You seem to be able to post currently. What's your goal today?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2019, 11:19:55 am »

There's a couple of different models of newcomer play I've seen in the past. There's people who get paranoid and get suspicious of everyone. There's people who post a mile a minute about irrelevant stuff and badger people for lurking because they don't post 15 minutes after game start (don't be this person). And then there's people who aren't really sure what they're doing so they just flail around until they find something, or decide to drop out because eveything's going over their head and they don't feel like they can fully commit.
Yeahh, I'm pretty sure I've done... all of that. Like, in just my last game.  ::)
What was your noob-play like, once upon a time?

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2019, 11:27:02 am »

Quote from: Persus13
To hope I don’t get killed tonight isn’t that everyone’s goal? To live?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:45 am »

Alright I'm back let's do this, LEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKINS!

Woohoo!
4maskwolf: How will your interactions with Persus13 differ from your interactions with the rest of us?
IonMatrix: The game has started at last! Have you consumed sufficient ketchup?
Naturegirl1999: How mean are you feeling today?
NJW2000: I do not have a question for you. How does this make you feel? How do you feel about my contradicting myself with that last question?
Persus13: What sort of play are you expecting from us newcomers and semi-newcomers?
Pooka: Red means vote, yes. It's nice if you put it in bold text, too. Why did you use a random-number generator to determine your first vote?
Superdorf: What color does the number "M" smell like?

Gonna be honest, I have no idea.  I haven't played a full game of mafia here in years, so I honestly forget how me and Persus's interactions used to go.

Small setups are kinda dicey like that, yeah.  Either you end up with a potential D2 LYLO or the scumteam has no margin for error and a single random lynch can take them out.  There are ways around it, but they're super gimmicky and tend to cause as many problems as they solve.

inb4 multiple SKs with no factional kill

Nope!  Your goal depends heavily on your role and faction.  For example, a vanilla townie may find it prudent to make themselves a more attractive kill target to protect town power roles, while a survivor would indeed want to avoid attention so they could live through the game.  In general, the primary goal of the town is to find scum: without a vigilante or some niche killing roles like CPR/insane doctor (I doubt we'd have anything truly bizarre like a town-sided arsonist or doomspeaker in this game, largely due to lower player count), the town has no way to kill scum other than the lynch, so the first and foremost priority of every townie should not be to survive but to, if they die, make sure their effort during the day game takes a scum down with them.  The mafia's goal in the daygame, conversely, is to pretend to be doing exactly that, to use the daygame to mislead the town and falsely establish their innocence to undermine the town's goal.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2019, 12:01:47 pm »

Nope!  Your goal depends heavily on your role and faction.  For example, a vanilla townie may find it prudent to make themselves a more attractive kill target to protect town power roles, while a survivor would indeed want to avoid attention so they could live through the game.  In general, the primary goal of the town is to find scum: without a vigilante or some niche killing roles like CPR/insane doctor (I doubt we'd have anything truly bizarre like a town-sided arsonist or doomspeaker in this game, largely due to lower player count), the town has no way to kill scum other than the lynch, so the first and foremost priority of every townie should not be to survive but to, if they die, make sure their effort during the day game takes a scum down with them.  The mafia's goal in the daygame, conversely, is to pretend to be doing exactly that, to use the daygame to mislead the town and falsely establish their innocence to undermine the town's goal.
You are right. I’ve heard LYLO. What does that stand for? Lynch Your LO
What does LO stand for?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:10 pm »

And now a doublepost for some questions!

Persus13: If I voted your right now, placing the second vote on you, would you be nervous?
Naturegirl1999: Do you have any picks for scum yet?  How do you plan on finding scum this game?
Superdorf: What's your biggest takeaway from the games you've played so far.
IonMatrix: I don't actually have a question for you, you haven't posted yet and I have no idea who you are so I can't ask too many questions about your origin or previous experience.
Pooka: From the other places you've played, what would you say is the biggest scumtell?
NJW2000: Remind me, you've been playing here for a couple years, yeah?  Or am I just an idiot?

PPE:
Okay not a doublepost.
You are right. I’ve heard LYLO. What does that stand for? Lynch Your LO
What does LO stand for?
LYLO stands for LYnch or LOse.  Basically, it's the situation where the scumteam has only one fewer players than the townies (example: three town, two scum).  Ignoring power roles for a moment, this means that if the town doesn't lynch that day (or if they lynch a townie) then the game is over, because either the lynch of the mafia nightkill will put the mafia in an unloseable position (without a majority the town can't lynch scum).  Obviously power roles complicate this, but outside of super power role heavy games the principle tends to hold true.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2019, 12:15:17 pm »

Naturegirl1999
"Hoping not to die" is all well and good, but that alone is gonna get you exactly nowhere. Unless you're scum. You don't exactly have much to go on at the moment, but who is most suspicious to you right now? Failing that, who would you most like to hear from? Put a vote on that person, so's they notice you, and ask them some questions. You'll not get the answers you need any other way.

This is RVS (Random Vote Stage), so your questions don't even need to be particularly good questions! Here, I'll demonstrate.
Gonna be honest, I have no idea.  I haven't played a full game of mafia here in years, so I honestly forget how me and Persus's interactions used to go.
Welcome back, then!  :D
How rusty would you say you are? Can you still lead us all in circles, like in olden days?

PPE: Oop, new thingummy from 4maskwolf... I'll answer next post

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2019, 12:18:50 pm »

Superdorf: What's your biggest takeaway from the games you've played so far.
That panicking over stuff doesn't get me anywhere... and that this game's not worth playing if I don't have a little fun with it! I was taking everything deadly serious in my last (first) two games, and it messed me up something awful-- I didn't want to play again. Though it's nothing to do with gameplay technique, that's a mistake I don't intend to repeat.

klonk
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »

Naturegirl1999
"Hoping not to die" is all well and good, but that alone is gonna get you exactly nowhere. Unless you're scum. You don't exactly have much to go on at the moment, but who is most suspicious to you right now? Failing that, who would you most like to hear from? Put a vote on that person, so's they notice you, and ask them some questions. You'll not get the answers you need any other way.

This is RVS (Random Vote Stage), so your questions don't even need to be particularly good questions! Here, I'll demonstrate.
Welcome back, then!  :D
How rusty would you say you are? Can you still lead us all in circles, like in olden days?

PPE: Oop, new thingummy from 4maskwolf... I'll answer next post
Lead us all in circles... is this a thing I have a reputation for, or just an assumption about veteran players?

As for rusty, I suppose we'll see.  I'd definitely like to say I've matured as a person (thank goodness, me back then... ugh) but how that will affect my play remains to be seen.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2019, 12:26:15 pm »

Just an assumption. I am leery of those who've played here long.
I mean. It's Mafia. I'm leery of everybody. But still.

Of the newer players here, who would you consider most dangerous as scum?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27