Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: strange structures (tents?) at the edge of my embark  (Read 1609 times)

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
strange structures (tents?) at the edge of my embark
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:06:46 am »

I noticed some strange structures at the edge of my embak, they appear to bee simple huts made of sheep wool.
I think when i first saw then there was a campfire going too but never any creatures.
The units screen has never shown any intelligent creatures other than visitors until i opened the caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone seen something like this before?
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: strange structures (tents?) at the edge of my embark
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:11:45 pm »

Ha, yes. I even wrote a script to build these tents myself *points to sig*

If there was campfire present, maybe there might be stealthed units inside? Draft someone into one-man squad and send them to go stand inside of each one.

But might also be that they just left before your arrival. These camping tents are set up by army-like entities, and are usually - but not always - empty in my experience.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »

Yes, nothing like embarking to find 40+ hostile soldiers...

Meanwhile, you can deconstruct all of those buildings for their material, but consider making a front gate first.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:12:44 am »

army/refugee tents. you see these all the time in adventure mode, but i've never embarked a fort on one!

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 09:26:14 pm »

Yes.  I once started an embark with a single structure on it.  Made of wool.

There was a single human soldier in it.  He came out and fought my starting dwarves.  We won, but he killed one and messed up a few others so bad I gave up on that fort immediately.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 08:49:56 pm »

It's a rare but pleasant surprise (well, less pleasant depending on occupants but the ones I've seen were abandoned.)  You can use their materials to jumpstart your cloth industry but they're as sturdy as any construction so I've generally found it more fun to incorporate them into the fort design, especially if you get one of the larger tents.