Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you do, if you are homesick, but don't have a home?  (Read 5602 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
What do you do, if you are homesick, but don't have a home?
« on: August 10, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »

That's the trick question I ask myself right now, sitting at the Oslo airport, not knowing where to go. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do, if you are homesick, but don't have a home?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:53:15 am »

Go somewhere nice and don't make plans to leave?  (Replace somewhere with someones if it is the social aspect.)

Roughly equivalent to 'make somewhere home'.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:34:07 pm »

Send non-electronic letters to people you have known, and who remind you of  places that were "home" before.

Remind them of a good time in the past...
Get a couple of good pictures of what is "now" for you, and send them...
Write a two-dozen words with a pen.

Say "hello from %%i!, did you ever think it would turn out like this?".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:22:43 pm »

Also, do not understate weather and geography. When in Denmark, I was remarkably miffed at the fairly constant weather. The landscape was also different. Go somewhere that looks and feels like home.

Even somewhere that has similar traditions or culture. I loved hearing local accents when I got back. It made me feel less like an outsider, more 'home'.

Really, a home is more than a single building or even town. Find what you thematically link with home (mountains, blazing sun, the word "y'all"?) and go for it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:28:48 am »

The irony of this situation is that I've been here, except in Sweden. I was 19 and homeless hitchhiking around Europe with no family or friends that could help me. I'd been living on the streets/half-way houses in London for 3 years prior. I ended up at some small airport sleeping rough inside for several days, too tired to go on with my trip (early spring with no winter clothing and a cheap tent through northern Scandinavia (I know)). I felt hopeless. There's really only one thing to do in moments like that. Just keep fucking going. Do what you have to do to survive. In America in a similar situation a few years later I resorted to buying a bar of chocolate and using it with a rag to polish truck rims for $5 a rim. You do what you have to do, you try to get yourself in a better position than today, whether it's a warmer sleeping spot on the streets or a new resource to help you get off the streets. You survive for tomorrow.