Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Forum] One skin, on all boards  (Read 831 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
[Forum] One skin, on all boards
« on: August 11, 2019, 05:33:43 pm »

I really don't like that the forum skin seems to change constantly. I really want it to be consistent (would prefer to use the skin used in DF boards everywhere as it's nicer instead of that ugly default SMF skin) as when I go to check my PMs or whatever, I'm rendered momentarily blind due to skin change.
Sorry, didn't really know where to put it as there isn't a board for forum-related suggestions - if some board is more fitting, feel free to move.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Forum] One skin, on all boards
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 07:33:16 pm »

I think it is a good idea to have different skins to mark more clearly the identity of each board.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 07:49:30 pm »

Other forums do without such sudden changes and in fact a consistent look across all of the boards is far more common. Plus, most of the forum is about DF so it should be skinned like DF. Other forums such as other gaming sections, etc. those can be easily discerned by names and kind of the threads posted there alone. Not to mention that this default SMF skin used elsewhere is downright atrocious. Seriously, when installing a new instance of SMF (had administered several forums in the past though most are dead by now for one reason or another) the skin is one of the first things I replace.
Finally, I think it should be up to the user which skin he or she wants to use on the board.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 02:46:13 pm »

Okay, you are outraged and insulted by the existence of the default skin, everyone else is using a better version, and you know better because you have done this before...

If you stick with "it is blinding", I can understand that, because it is blinding.

Azerty's point is valid. There may be a difference in the skins for a reason.

It is also possible that another skin could be used that is less blinding.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »

Click here, click (change) across from Current Theme, click [Use this theme] under Darkling.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?