Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cold blooded animals can hatch in nest boxes without mother?  (Read 750 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cold blooded animals can hatch in nest boxes without mother?
« on: January 08, 2021, 03:52:39 am »

I just has 3 clutches of a total of 138 salt water crocodiles hatch without their mother present on the nest box basically the entire time after my dwarves failed to collect the eggs.

This serves as a warning to others.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:02:34 am by Kobold6 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cold blooded animals can hatch in nest boxes without mother?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:55:02 am »

Its a intriguingly trivial thing, though I wonder what overrided that or if there's something else in play like the mass of eggs had some flawed object because they were grouped with other eggs? Egg Size?

Saltie Crocodiles don't have anything particularly special at all about themselves to actually say they are cold-blooded, their blood isn't literally cold nor can't they function any worse than a warm-blooded animal but they dont posses a individual HOMEOTHERM tag to count their body-temperature in farenheight so might possibly be immune by extent of their eggs to nestbox stillborns?

Cow and a Alligator (One of Toady's distinctions) really, nothing really between them other than some surface tags.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 05:14:56 am »

Maybe incubation works that the eggs need to be kept at or above their creature's homeotherm to survive, and the regular behaviour of sitting at nests has their parents warming the eggs? It kinda makes sense as a system, and would explain why a creature that doesn't have a homeotherm wouldn't have to incubate their eggs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 06:20:09 am »

Eggs from warm blooded animals can hatch even if the mother was slaughtered quite some time ago, although I haven't done any rigorous tests (but failed egg collection provides unintended test cases).

It can also be noted that cold blooded animals still have a metabolism, and so generate heat, even if it generally isn't on the level of homeotherm ones. In addition to that, the body of a cold blooded mother still serves as insulation.

However, many cold blooded egg laying vertebrate animals bury the eggs to provide a stable temperature, and some pack the eggs in decaying vegetable matter as well, to let the decomposition process provide some heat.

In DF I would guess the code simply uses the same egg maturation logic for all tame critters.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:36:40 am »

Its a intriguingly trivial thing, though I wonder what overrided that or if there's something else in play like the mass of eggs had some flawed object because they were grouped with other eggs? Egg Size?

Saltie Crocodiles don't have anything particularly special at all about themselves to actually say they are cold-blooded, their blood isn't literally cold nor can't they function any worse than a warm-blooded animal but they dont posses a individual HOMEOTHERM tag to count their body-temperature in farenheight so might possibly be immune by extent of their eggs to nestbox stillborns?

Cow and a Alligator (One of Toady's distinctions) really, nothing really between them other than some surface tags.

I guess it must have been the hot biome, and being outside then.
*shrug*