Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How much embark points everyone uses? v2.0  (Read 10838 times)

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much embark points everyone uses? v2.0
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 01:40:33 am »

lately i've been doing 15 starting dwarfs, and usually 10k points. I don't use all the points though.
I find the 15 dwarfs allow me to start doing interesting things faster, with 7 there just isn't enough dwarf-power to do anything.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 01:41:27 pm »

I don't usually run into dorfpower problems because my starts tend to be very focused on getting a particular task running. I'm not as adept at remembering to use the manager as I probably should, so that hurts my efficient use of dwarves too! I end up with a... Lot of stone detailers making the fort pretty.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 03:30:32 pm »

I usually use about 1000 points. Taking too much stuff really takes the feeling of progression and survival out of the game for me.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 09:08:27 pm »

I always run with the default amount, maxing dorf skills.  Doesn't seem like going above that is vitally important in most cases.  Even then I feel like the dwarves spend too much time hauling materials into the fort once it's dug.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 06:08:35 pm »

I do the standard worldgen default, but strip the wheelbarrows, bags, etc. and pile the points into drinks and plump helmets, as well as dwarf skills if it's a more dangerous embark.  Otherwise I just bring more drinks and food and have seven peasants, one battle axe, and six picks.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 02:54:15 pm »

I favor 1800 to 2000 points, but it's because I tend to favor savage or evil biomes with heavily modded games and dislike that "button up and hide from everything" playstyle. Without the extra points for some partial armor and a couple weapons, a handful of nasties could become a serious disruption or even shred the embark party. The extra points lets me bring a couple soldiers to prevent that (usually.)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »

I always do default, investing in maybe a few medical skills, a ton of weaponizable ore if I have it available in case I can't find any on-site (let's just say that I'm quite familiar with how durable bone gauntlets are), a bunch of meat (singular bits of it so I can use the barrel exploit to get tons of storage because I always need more barrels), sand (more for the free bags than for the sand itself, unless I'm starting in an area with no natural sand), and a few breeding pairs of animals to get my livestock industries running. Maybe an extra weapon or two and some starting combat skills if I have the points or am embarking somewhere dangerous. In a game where you wring resources out of the land, it seems like it'd be less fun if you brought everything you need right out of the gate.

adseaghtrnjty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 11:26:16 pm »

"I know that's extreme cheating, but I really want to feel out all the game's mechanics."

I do similar things. Do not feel ashamed. Dissect this game as much as you want, learn the mechanics, read, etc. Once you feel like you're really good at the game, challenge yourself. Look at the challenges and stupid dwarf tricks on the wiki, get out of your comfort zone, and look to other players to become a better one yourself. It shouldn't take you too long.

I use all of my embark points as much as possible. For reference, I try to get rid of the high embark point items like rope, stepladders, etc. since they can be made easily

I use the maximum amount of points on my dwarves as well. Proficient miners, carpenters, masons, growers, etc. My proficient carpenter made 30 beds before summer, and it's crucial to have a good mason for tables and chairs for a growing population. I find it's the most important thing to grow your population since stagnation makes everything so much slower.

For tools, three picks and axes just in case they get stolen for my last embark, and any kind of ore if I want it. Copper nuggets were 6 embark points, so I got a lot of those. For anything else, I would get individual garden vegetables since they come in their own bag plus individual sand. I get three dogs and cats. Two females, one male. You can also get chickens or something for SO cheap, like 6 points per chicken or bird. Make some nest boxes and you're set on food.

All in all, invest in dwarves since it's much more efficient for them to create wealth instead of limiting yourself to embark points. Then, go for the most efficient things like chickens and extra food for farmers and just go from there.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 04:15:03 am »

Yeah, I honestly learned the most with zero point embarks on haunted biomes than anything else. But I've enjoyed messing with embark point for special projects.

I once lost an embark to a zombie siege, then reclaimed with 7 dwarves with some military skill and full suits of steel. Armor is some of the most expensive stuff for embark points and ultimately, a good way to waste points. (Ore and coal, plus some points in skills can produce the same at a fraction of the cost)

Generally, now, I play unmodded and only edit population and framerate things (in inits). The 1504 is too much, really. I find myself bringing parchment just to waste points and because I usually end up buying it anyway. Might embark with a bigger animal, just for fun, sometimes.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 02:23:58 am »

I just use the standard amount.  I sink a lot of the points into maxed out dwarfs.  The longer I play the more picks I bring.  Currently I'm up to 3.

I have a friend who plays mostly like an architect, I feel.  He uses a program to cheat in tons of points and starts out with everything the dwarves will need for a few seasons.  His starting 7 and the next several waves will do nothing but dig or construct a giant fort.  They don't farm much they just make some craft with all the stuff they start with and trade for food.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 04:15:48 am »

I just use the standard amount.  I sink a lot of the points into maxed out dwarfs.  The longer I play the more picks I bring.  Currently I'm up to 3.

I have a friend who plays mostly like an architect, I feel.  He uses a program to cheat in tons of points and starts out with everything the dwarves will need for a few seasons.  His starting 7 and the next several waves will do nothing but dig or construct a giant fort.  They don't farm much they just make some craft with all the stuff they start with and trade for food.
well, the first 1-2 years are for making a defendable/sealable fort and crafting tradegoods to buy food, thread/cloth, leather and rare stuff.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:15 am »

1 pick, 1 axe, 1 anvil

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 09:35:13 am »

1 pick, 1 axe, 1 anvil
"I see, you like to live dangerous too."
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2019, 03:22:05 am »

I just use the default embark layout.  No need to hyperspecialize unless you are embarking someplace.... special...

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 06:01:52 pm »

1 pick, 1 axe, 1 anvil
"I see, you like to live dangerous too."
how's it dangerous? you can make / gather / farm anything you need. the game's easy enough as it is, no need to make it even more boring
Pages: 1 [2] 3