Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How much embark points everyone uses? v2.0  (Read 10840 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much embark points everyone uses? v2.0
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 03:20:18 am »

I always set the gen to 10,000, and use a big chunk of it on stone and wood. Especially a stock of each color color stone, some magma-safe stone and a decent amount (100-300) of uniform color stone. There's enough FPS downsides to quarrying large area that it's easier to just start with a giant pile of stone, and if your embark is missing a stone color for color coded levers and machines, you're going to be begging for that color a few rocks at a time from the mountainhome basically forever. If planning a steel industry, also bring a large reserve of flux stone, for the same reasons. The hauling effort and challenges will be the same, and you won't be creating unnecessary void space by mining for it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 01:55:25 pm »

.... There's enough FPS downsides to quarrying large area that it's easier to just start with a giant pile of stone...

Or just wall off your mine when not in use.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 05:14:34 pm »

Not sure if I have seen anyone else do this, but I always use the standard number of points and bring 5 picks and 2 axes.  This lets me plan half the fort out and have it almost done by the first migrant wave. 

Bags of sand are 1 point (i think?) and come with a free bag. 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 01:47:45 pm »

Not sure if I have seen anyone else do this, but I always use the standard number of points and bring 5 picks and 2 axes.  This lets me plan half the fort out and have it almost done by the first migrant wave. 

Bags of sand are 1 point (i think?) and come with a free bag.
my latest forts had 3 picks, 2 axes, some materials to kickstart steel industry and some fabric and yarn from each available type so the first strange moods don't kill my dorfs and to have some emergency material for the hospital.
i am unsure if they changed that about bags of sand.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2020, 01:16:02 pm »

I like to set the world generated points available to 10,000 but only use the standard amount or less.  That way there are more options later down the road.  No harm in leaving points unspent at embark.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2020, 01:53:05 pm »

Usually I just bring a couple of picks, axe and anvil. Some food, wine and seeds, maybe a few animals. I prefer to spend the points on skills really.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2020, 01:32:53 pm »

Default prepare carefully, whatever that is. Two picks, one axe (if appropriate), one anvil.  "Proficient" in mining*2, cook, grower, and herbalist (if appropriate), maybe stonecrafting if it makes sense with some dwarf's description. Seven each of the plant seeds. One plump helmet. One of each booze. Grab one each of all the easy "free" food barrels and bags (2 cost "meat", eggs, fish, milk, and 1 cost vegetables). A half-dozen each cats and dogs, four hens and two males of a couple three bird species, use up the balance with bituminous, lignite or just logs, in that order.

If embarking in treeless, skip the axe and take a couple three dozen logs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 09:32:36 pm »

Everyone is putting down their choices, so here's one:
Two picks, two axes, an anvil, some dogs already trained in war and hunting. A (male) kitten. Cats mean I don't have to worry about the vermin in my food stockpile. Ten each of stones that are pretty colours, such as olivine, orthoclase, petrified wood. These are for items I might need along the way, especially pumping equipment. I usually go for somewhere with what is now referred to as a "heavy aquifer". And if I don't, then there's magma to deal with! Fruit, berries, and turtles. The more varieties of food you bring, the more barrels and bags you arrive with. Sand, which is a rort at that price. Plus free bags come with sand!

Trainingwise, I never bother to train any miners (they'll learn on the job, and although I play vanilla, no one needs Dwarf Therapist or whatever to add to your dorfs tasks after you embark, you can just tell them they're a miner now). I do train some reasonable masons, a woodworker, glassworker, potter, doctor, and two mechanics. I don't bother with a smith: I'll get one arriving in the first migrant wave, no doubt.... I also get as much musical/dance/singing training as I can these days, with whatever points are left over, it's an interesting new part of the game that I enjoy playing around with. I'm not too panicked about the doctor, to be honest, as I've had a few forts where the doctor was the first to die, and the fort still did okay. All up, I don't need to increase my points all that often, but I will for a challenging embark.

I have a close friend who refuses to EVER prepare for the journey carefully, and just takes the default drop of goods and dorfs and beasts. It seems boring to me, but it keeps him happy.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2020, 04:23:01 am »

Default points. Give everyone points into dodging and swimming. Some food, drinks, and seeds. Two picks and an axe. An anvil, some iron ore, and bituminous coal.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2020, 12:45:40 pm »

I don't mess with the default points.

This is my current standard embark setting:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So 2 miners, a woodcutter/carpenter, basic stoneworker, a farmer, a cook/brewer, and the expedition leader.  2 picks, an axe and an anvil for basic tools.  80 drinks and some food; at least one of each meat from everything the dwarves typically domesticate plus some eggs for the barrels, and strawberries because they can be brewed and it helps get the surface farming going in addition to whatever the farmer gathers.  5 magma safe bauxite blocks to get stuff built early and a rope for a well.  Some cloth to make bags or something if I need them and some cheap sand.  2 breeding pairs of dogs, cats, pigs and turkeys, with one pair of dogs trained for war.   3 cups for drinking.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

0leg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:47 am »

I'm still learning the game, so I cheat heavily and give myself like 200000 points with DFHack, which obviously means I bring a huge amount of almost every item and animal. The high amount of animals gives me that edge where I can start butchering/cooking things immediately and build up that skill. I even give myself extra stone blocks and logs as to not take up as much time at the start getting things ready.

I know that's extreme cheating, but I really want to feel out all the game's mechanics. Then I'll go down to 10000 points, then 1000 less every time after that.

I need to know what embark points other people start out with because reasons. Please tell me or I'll be very angry. >=[
I have no problem with people f*cking around, but you are just missing the !FUN!
: o )

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 11:15:13 am »

I've only embarked a few times so far, but I have been giving myself 4000 points.  As far as items go, it feels like there is not really much I need but can't expect to get at the embark site, so I just bring extra drinks, some flux stone, shields and weapons (a few silver hammers and copper shields) and a few pieces (5-10) of each type of cloth and some leather, to make it more likely I have everything a dwarf might need for a strange mood-- losing a dwarf early on because they demand silk a few seasons after the embark is something I have no interest in ever experiencing.

Mostly though I give myself extra points so I can give my starting dwarves skills, which IMO doesn't seem worth the points normally especially since most labors don't need anyone good at it to get things going, but I like being able to begin with some direction for what each dwarf is most useful for, so I make sure to always give one dwarf some skills to be the Chief Medical Dwarf, and at least one with Fighting and Dodging to be the militia captain; just so they have a head start on training (and if it matters for demonstrations, those are the two skills I'd be most satisfied seeing demonstrations lead for).

Embark points/presets are probably, alongside your embark location, probably the closest this game has to a difficulty setting.  I hope in the future, Toady adds a "Beginner Embark" that doesn't have any extra points to spend, but is worth more than 400 and is carefully assembled to ensure a novice player has as much time as possible before any major fortress needs can become neglected to the point of trouble, and that their starting dwarves are suited to fill helpful and necessary roles early on.  Something that's totally doable now of course, I just think having it right there in the game for newbies to see and pick (without DFhack) would go a long way for how little implementing such a thing might take.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 08:59:14 pm »

Default points.
I sell most of the items back for points and stick with roughly:
1 copper pick, 1 copper axe, 1 anvil
3 piglets
3 kittens
3 puppies
4 poults (1/2 male 1/2 female)
various gardening seeds
various gardening plants if they give a seed
1 or 2 stone (usually to build a kiln)
default food and drink

Then I max out my dwarf stats.
Usually
Armorsmith
metalsmith
weaponsmith
Mechanic
Stonecrafter
mixed with healing skills
since those are the ones that use slightly  limited resources to train.

I haven't picked anywhere evil yet, or too hard (freezing)

I play vanilla with dwarf therapist used to help me view the needs and the preferences and to keep track of who I have trained in what.
Pages: 1 2 [3]