Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable dragons/other big creatures in adventure mode  (Read 729 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Playable dragons/other big creatures in adventure mode
« on: August 11, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »

I mean, original Armok had them playable so why DF can't? There are few things that may cause issues (such as them being multi-tile so collisions must be calculated for every tile to avoid dragons fiting into 1x1 passages while being partially in walls) but that can be done (and in fact workshops/other buildings have utilized such detection while being placed to avoid placing them inside walls). I mean, dragon civ can be modded in so why not having them as part of the main game? Coming upon dragon town would be pretty fun as well.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Playable dragons/other big creatures in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:51:24 pm »

I think what can and can't be playable will be much more open-ended after mythgen when civilized races are procedurally generated. Until then, as you mentioned, there's always mods.

Would indeed be pretty cool though, at least for certain worlds.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:54:44 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playable dragons/other big creatures in adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:47:26 am »

Have you read the dev notes?
They're linked at the top of the Suggestions forum.
MONSTER: Playing the dragons and other large beasts seems like another good (and fairly easy) extension. You'd have to be careful, since there aren't very many large beasts in the world and you don't want to just possess them and have them all burn out in a blaze of glory. Or maybe you do... or it could just give you new ones. You could also just occasionally have fun going out on an excursion and retiring, then play an adventurer and take a quest from a town to go and dispatch your old self. Related to PowerGoal60.