Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Total conversion Mod focusing on ancient world. Join the Party!  (Read 2227 times)

darkomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heyo !

It seems like no one has ever started a historical total conversion mod for DF. So I'm doing it.

And because I don't want it to be MY thing, i'm looking for interrested people to take part on the project.

Basically it's a total conversion centered on Ancient Greece with a focus on various civilizations such as Greek, Egyptian, Etruscan, Persian, Phoenician.

I've got a ton of ideas (and a life to make them happen). No deadline. No "what we must do before next release". No roadmap. Just, you want to improve the thing on a particular point, you do and if it's good, it's released. Anyone can participate, can share its own view of the project, can add something to the thing.

Still, i've an idea of what it could look like.

Main  :

0. Basically, the main "races" (civs ofc) would be egyptian, greek, persian, etruscan, phoenician (by that time phoenician carthage ruled over west mediterranea and etruscan civ over Northern Italy, Egyptians regained their independance from persia in -404 and Greek were less and less under influence of Persia.)
Distinctions between races would be cultural, technological, from their languages, from religion etc.

1. Strong focus on culture, technology of that time (objects, weapons, buildings, science, metals...) depending on the civ and focus on greek mythology (maybe with some egyptian/persian borrowings).

2. Overhaul of species (creatures and plants) to match the mediterranean climate and ecosystem ; also complete changes of WorldGen (advanced parameters). And also adding most creatures from greek myths (a lot of em are already in the game

That would be a strong basis and a long way to go. Of course, you could do a LOT more :

- Making a tileset that fits well with the context.
- Changing Musics
- ReCreating a map of the mediterranea (with  PerfectWorldDF) with all the civs at a good starting spot.
- Etc.

Ok, but How the hell can I help ? I don't know shit about programming, i'm neither musician nor graphist, nor Historian ...?

A. You don't need to know shit about programming. Basically, modding within DF is  almost everything about how Tokens work all together, and they are widely described on the Wiki. Just like playing DF, modding DF is all about reading the fucking wiki and experimenting from it. OFC i'm not talking about DFhack/stonesense and crazy things like that but about modding the content of the game, not changing the core engine. I don't know anything about programming neither and I understand well the explainations on the wiki so DO NOT PANIC.

Here are the main pages about Modding :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding

B. You certainly may have some interrest about various things like : Civs, or History, or Mythology, or Geology, Currencies, Metals, Biology, Techs history, musics, graphics, ancient litterature, Greek/Egyptian culture, study of pagan religions, Deities, geopolitics, or even trade... You don't need to get involved on everything; you could just pick a thing you're interrested on and start modifying till you get bored... The goal is to have fun modding what you like, not to make the perfect glorious thing.

Z. As I already told, I don't want you to "help" me : I don't want it to be MY mod, all hail to me the glorious Dark Omen. Of course i've got a relatively precise idea of what the mod could be, doesn't mean it can't evolve. I find that the most interresting part could be building it all together and making the thing evolve while trying to get the best of the DF Engine, pushing it as far as we can (and it has a LOOOOT of options for modders).

What could be the name of the mod ? I've thought something like "Tales of Ancient times", but I think there are better options.

I already deleted in the raw files All the creatures that shouldn't figure on the mod (quite a lot of research, mostly based on distribution maps of real animals) :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I tried to make a pocket world that fits with mediterranean climate that I named "Pocket mediterranea" :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not entirely satisfied with it but it's a good start.

I'm now working on creating the "races". They will at first be a simple copy of the vanilla human one, made playable in DF mode so it shouldn't take too long.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:44:13 pm by darkomen »

darkomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total conversion Mod focusing on ancient world. Join the Party!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:28:00 pm »

I started to make a Wiki on Github in order to centralize research information about various things...

Normally I would write it in my native language (french) so it's a good challenge for me to write about academic topics in english ! Cause i'm not that good and my english isn't academic at all (thanks to terrible teachers that made me hate english language during all my schooling  :-\)

I want it to be as open as possible to anyone who wants to contribute to it.

Can anyone try to edit / create a page on the Wiki ? Normally the settings allow anyone that is registered to Github to contribute to the Wiki, not only the contributors of the repository, but I tried myself with another account and got an "error 404" when trying to edit a page.

Here it is :

https://github.com/darkomen202/DF-Greek-Mod/wiki/Research-index

Thanks !

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »

I started to make a Wiki on Github in order to centralize research information about various things...

Normally I would write it in my native language (french) so it's a good challenge for me to write about academic topics in english ! Cause i'm not that good and my english isn't academic at all (thanks to terrible teachers that made me hate english language during all my schooling  :-\)

I want it to be as open as possible to anyone who wants to contribute to it.

Can anyone try to edit / create a page on the Wiki ? Normally the settings allow anyone that is registered to Github to contribute to the Wiki, not only the contributors of the repository, but I tried myself with another account and got an "error 404" when trying to edit a page.

Here it is :

https://github.com/darkomen202/DF-Greek-Mod/wiki/Research-index

Thanks !

It let me create a page

darkomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:16:23 am »

Cool, thank you :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 01:55:40 pm »

This is a pretty cool idea 🙂
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darkomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:04:30 am »

This is a pretty cool idea
Thanks !

I worked on World Gen with PerfectWorldDF to recreate eastern mediterranea. I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, but it's quite close to what I want :

Here you can find the tools and here you will find the climate data I used to make the map
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:25:28 am by darkomen »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:12:10 am »

Awesome job on the map! If possible you should get a little bit more land on the south and east.

darkomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:16:41 am »

Yep, I was planning to do so, but I'll edit while making the civs (entities) : I will use specific biomes to make the civs appear in the right spots and spread in a restreint number of biomes, depending on the civ...

I do not want  too many egyptians in anatolia, etruscans in maghreb, etc. But still, Egyptians would probably be more playable in the desert than Greeks or Persians.

EDIT : oh you were talking about map dimensions ? The screenshot doesn't show the whole map, as I'm currently modding on a netbook (I'm not home) : the screen resolution is too small to display everything.

But in the East and West it won't go farther than the screen shows : I can't generate a Rectangle map without having serious crash issues in Advanced Worldgen, so for now it'll stay as a square map...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:32:42 am by darkomen »