Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Port Fantastic - X-Piratez  (Read 22719 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Port Fantastic - X-Piratez
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 06:29:57 pm »

Sailor gear is nice for the XP bonus.  It's good for those Gimme missions like the Watchtower one.

Right. It's +5, where gym suit is +15 I think? I believe bikini and swimsuit add more than 5 as well. They also all add TUs. I'd have to look to see if all except sailor add stress to help train bravery as well.

Wait, gym suit, bikini, and swimsuit have XP bonuses?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 03:44:01 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 06:26:42 am »

Sorry for taking so long, but my new meds do weird stuff to me. I'm okay though.

You can center-click things in the fence screen (or elsewhere) to find out if it's useful for anything. "No dependencies" means you can sell it. You also might want to right-click to see if it can be researched for anything useful.

Stun batons are handles, except faster and they ignore some armor. Also, faster means that they train reaction as well as melee. And they ignore enough armor that you can take down mid-game enemies, including various security guards, with them.

Also, I'm at 3 bases with 8-21 gals at them, and haven't gotten a baroness yet. By the time you get the more expensive units, you can afford them.

If you're not already good at the game, slave soldiers, peasants, and other males are a liability. Also, from Dioxine's comments, that's 100% intentional.

I'll take a gal with a pistol and stun baton/whip -> electro lasso. Whips aren't great until you get throwing levelled up a bit, but then they're real nice until you start seeing armor commonly.

And it looks like sailor gear is a weaker swimsuit/bikini/gym suit? I've never used them. Love gym suit for new gals, though.

Edit: Oh, and stun batons also ignore 25% of armor, which is why they can handle most enemies.

I always keep some stun batons for skilled and not necessarily strong hands. They also stun robots I believe.

I've never successfully kept more than one base operational for long. The last time I started getting enemy bases every other month and early mercenary base raids. Earlier I was having money problems, and I was struggling to keep my balance above $500k. I literally have no idea when to build another base. I'd appreciate some hints on base-building.

Electric lassos were nerfed a while back and they are now two-handed. I used to love these things and would use them excessively. Not so sure about regular ol' whips, but I'll give them a shot.

They don't, I'm almost certain. Also, if we're talking differences between armors, sailor suit only has regular punch attack while swimsuit/bikini have martial arts. I think we can agree it's not just a straigh stats upgrade.

Dossier 2: Missions for Chumps

survive longer outside of the Zones. (cut due to boobage)

Rare earth elements are radioactive elements other than hellerium. Uranium, thorium, this kind of things. Basic resource for some stuff.

Several days without anything other than civilian traffic. At least we know about 'nades now. These are basic nades - unpin, throw, watch gore chunks and chain link fence fragments rain from the sky. Pretty much a must for any self-respecting captain.

Spoiler: Our Culture (click to show/hide)

We've immediately started researching Violence and Survival. All of these are important, but we've only got three brainers.

Finally something interesting. These missions can range between ridiculously easy to hard, depending what we're being pitted against.

A delapitated building in the woods, huh? I've seen enough horror movies to know it's bad news.

I knew it, it's a highwaymen's hideout. Those degenerates probably dragged the shipwrecked gal in here without taking away her distress transmitter or whatever.

That was a big tactical mistake on their part, and I don't need to tell you why.

I'm such a moron, holy shit. This is why you wear helmets, kids - if you get assaulted by a crew of giant mutant women you can avoid getting bludgeoned into submission, which will give you a chance to shank them with your bandit knife. We'll see how that works out for us.

(At this point I realized a new update was out, so I updated. There shouldn't be much changed in the stuff we have now anyway.)

Well, fuck this guy for having a hard skull, but at least he didn't try any funny tricks.

Here is the situation - there is at lest one highwayman inside and he's got a niner and fistycuffs; I know because Aunt Jemima tried throwing a Molotov's cocktail at him but failed. There's also another highwayman hiding in bushes on the other end of the map, but he's got a machete and a sawed-off, so he's not immediately dangerous. We're preparing to storm the hideout, which means we're downing some of our premium moonshine.

Point A taken! I ran up there and put three bullets up this guy's booty hole. He shot me back after the second shot, then Star rushed in to heal me and him. A captive highwayman is worth more than a few bandages.

Magician finished with style by blasting the cowardly highwayman with her heavy shotgun. Now the question is: was the stranded gal here?

Nope, not a trace. They might have shipped her off somewhere already, or maybe they killed her, maybe she was already dead and the highwaymen used her transmitter to lure us here? Whatever's the case, we got a nice sawed-off out of this mission.

We're not getting a moment of rest, which is a good thing if the missions look like this. We've managed to track down a signal coming from a watchtower that seems to belong to one of the large factions. We weren't able to decode it, however our human crew members believe that those towers are used for carrying out nefarious schemes, whatever that means.

South Eurasian swamps; few places in the world are more unpleasant as this place. By 'few places' I mean 'quite a few places', because this is one of the more friendly environments for a gal to be in. And look, the tower is just a few steps away.

Oh, and there's a church neophyte doing repair work on this robot. Not saying it's an easy target...

...but he was an easy target. I just came over and swung my ball bat at his head. Not as satisfying as going for balls.

Jen Shoot chainsawed the robot until it exploded, then I ran in and incapacitated two more neophytes. Then Star got the last guy and...

Easy points, not much more. Had to ransom two neophytes which got us 40k in cash. Gotta research some of those hostages soon.

That's why we're expanding the crew. Runts will help us distill more hellerium to sell, while the brainer will start questioning a highwayman.

Spoiler: No boyz allowd (click to show/hide)

So yeah, we're not lettin' lads in. Gettin' an infamy penalty at the end of the month is not cool, but the same would have happened if we chose to recruit men.

Them gov'ts are happy with us so far; they all opened up their coffers a tad wider.

Spoiler: Highwayman (click to show/hide)

Highwaymen are serious bandits unlike tough guys or b-boys. While not nearly as dangerous as some later outlaws, they can be extremely dangerous in the early game where they appear frequently but in small numbers, sometimes as mission bosses. They may be the first enemies we've met who have resistances that actually matter, as we've seen when our entire crew was trying to stun one.

Spoiler: Eyes of cobra (click to show/hide)

Cobras are dangerous bandit crafts with deadly accuracy and dangerous crew. Shooting one down yields only 150 points despite the danger, so the only real reward is the loot from the wreck.

Speaking of wrecks, we're crashing at yet another watchtower, this time one that belongs to the Academy, and is located in South America. Incredible that we can actually get there in the Airbus.

I got a bit hasty and got Magician lightly wounded. It was just a holdout pistol, so she won't be spending too much time in the hospital, especially after Star and Jen patched her up.

Once we got inside, Star, Hermit and Magician worked their magic killing two and stunning one.

Hermit seems to be a bit behind on training. I'd like her to learn how to shoot better so she's more versatile, but maybe once we have sawed-off shotguns this will be easier to do.

No idea how a single brainer managed to hold a party this loud while the rest of the crew was out, but I commend her for that. Anyway, this is what your tax money gets spent on, citizens of Earth. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay your taxes, I am the one benefiting from them after all, but keep in mind the roads don't get built anyway.

Ah, one of few legitimate ways to acquire captive gov't agents AND get praised for it. Those aren't hard missions unless some horribe luck is involved. That should be fun, huh?

I know what you'll say - "Cap'n, this ain't no stranded agent mission!" - and you'll be right. A medium shipping has landed not so far away from our base and it's only natural that we, as pirates, would go get it. It's only civies, what could possibly go wrong?

Huh. Purple Hermit got hit with a cattle prod reaction shot while trying to whack the laborer. The laborer herself then got stabbed to death by Jen Shoot. I got out there and stunned the other laborer with my ball bat so nobody would get shot, stabbed or both.

At night Molotovs are useful even if they miss, illuminating the target's immediate surrounding. Other than this lad with a cattle prod, there's one other with a double-barrelled shotgun.

Once again the parrot proves to be a valuable asset. It reveled that the shotgunner may be trying to flank us which wouldn't be ideal.

In the end the laborer wasn't trying to flank us, so Star smashed his skull with her handle. I failed to get a screenshot, but it's okay.

It was a wheat transport. Whoops. At least we got two gym suits and a swimsuit. Selling the engines doubled the content of our coffers too.

Now for the main course, the stranded agent. We're in Gardens of Delight, Ghostgates, or rather in its poverty stricken, mostly ruined slum district. It's better for the gov't if we capture their agents than if some gangsters or factions were to do that, so we're doing a legitimate business here, really.

A baller has appeared! Those thugs seem to only appear in these missions, posing minimal threat to us if we approach them carefuly. By carefuly I mean shooting them before they toss their Molotovs. Star isn't the best gunna ever, but she managed to wound this lad with her revolver almost from the bus.

Direct hit by Aunt Jemima! Believe it or not, but the baller survived getting hit with a powder bomb, and Jen Shoot had to put a bullet between his eyes to finish the job.

Parrot is doing a good job as always, scouting rooms that gals would have to take too many turns to check. It also scouted out the wounded baller.

Melee peasant build? It's more likely than you think. Jen managed to wound a baller with her bandit knife, however the kill belongs to Purple Hermit and her heavy shotgun.

Hey, Star has found the agent! And a baller with just a machete, a potential target for capturing.

Or not. The baller wounded by Star earlier has killed the parrot with his Molotov, so I wanted to kill him. Star missed and hit the machete dude instead. Well, that happened.

The parrot killer will be coming with us. I'll make sure the brainers treat him to some extra CBT.

And that's it, Star shot another one who then bit the dust. Other than the agent and the baller we've found little of interest. A guild stapler we've picked up is kinda important mainly because it unlocks durathread working.

Spoiler: Survival (click to show/hide)

Throwing just became a useful skill. Why? I'll tell you:

Spoiler: Equipment review (click to show/hide)

An Academy outpost in Siberian's no man's land. I wouldn't expect them to find many mutants to experiment on out there, but maybe they ship experiment victims from somewhere else? Whatever's the case, we can't allow the Academy to do as they please.

Here we are, right next to the outpost. There's a drone hovering ominously over the building; a small threat, easy to deal with.

Well, unless you're us, then it becomes a feat and a half. Usually heavy shotguns demolish drones easily, but Platinum Star had to finish the job with her revolver. Of course Hermit also had to get hit with a laser beam because waiting through the first turn is for chumps.

Look at them badly equiped nurses who didn't expect their outpost would be raided.

I'll summarize the operations on the western front: first Aunt Jemima threw a bottle of her famous syrup, missing completely, but at least making it a bit warmer; then I ran up and whacked a nurse with my baseball bat, discovering a stun bomb launcher-wielding medic; then Purple Hermit blasted a nurse with her heavy shotgun.

Star and Chariot are trying to sneak up from the east, but were spotted by an Osirion pyjama boy. Remember Osirion? These dudes who would ferry priceless exotic artifact on easily detectable cruise ships back in the ancient times? These days they do this.

It's not a cool situation if I gotta be honest. Star whacked a researcher, then ran out to tussle with the Osirion yeoman and the Academy medic. I realized I was exhausted so I downed my moonshine using up all my TUs.

Candice Nuts hit a pesky cowardly nurse in the face with a minibomb from her minicannon, finally proving her worth on the battlefield.

On the other hand Auntie Jemima might be in a little bit of trouble.

Or not - Silver Chariot is here! She blasted a researcher with the domestic shotgun, then one of the other scientists shot her unconscious friend. Nobody is perfect.

In the next - last - turn Jemima threw a bomb, killing the remaining researchers and knocking herself out. Meanwhile Platinum Star whacked the medic hard so we can take her home.

And back home we go! We've recovered some high-value stuff that I had sold immediately; surgery unit and stun bombs I mean.

Missions in frozen tundra are good for training the invaluable stamina stat, especially for Candice and Jemima who don't have a good outfit for this sort of operations. Hermit also needed that accuracy badly.

More later, because with all this equipment showcasing I'm worried about the character limit.

Yeah, after a while of calm we suddenly got bombarded with chump-tier missions which is good considering we're not really ready to take on anything more challenging until we can recruit hands.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:01 am »

They don't, I'm almost certain. Also, if we're talking differences between armors, sailor suit only has regular punch attack while swimsuit/bikini have martial arts. I think we can agree it's not just a straight stats upgrade.

I compared them last night while I was playing, and all 3 have +10. Not the 15 I remember, but double the sailor suit. Probably not an upgrade in every way, but close enough that it's well-worth the upgrade. I'm not sure which is best among the other 3, so I usually go with "whatever I've gotten from gambling and looting."

Bring down the Watchtower can also be used to train bravery fairly safely. There's one opponent outside, and everyone else is stuck inside. It's boring, but you can do it. I think it works like healing wounds: 4 or more successes gets you +10 bravery. Successes here is a turn under 50 morale without going crazy. It also only really works when you've got low bravery.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:04 am »

Are you sure about the 4 successes when dressing wounds? I thought it was a chance, with +10% for every check (so 100% at 10 wounds healed). If it is only 4, that would be so much easier.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 11:54:26 am »

Are you sure about the 4 successes when dressing wounds? I thought it was a chance, with +10% for every check (so 100% at 10 wounds healed). If it is only 4, that would be so much easier.

It works close enough to 100% of the time that I assume it's the intended behavior. And 4 healing can be done with 2 bandages, which fit conveniently into the quick spots.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:35 pm »

Throw me in and name an unnamed redshirt (preferably one of the gals or some other less expendable soldier type) after me. Bonus points if you spell it correctly.
it's over

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »

They don't, I'm almost certain. Also, if we're talking differences between armors, sailor suit only has regular punch attack while swimsuit/bikini have martial arts. I think we can agree it's not just a straight stats upgrade.

I compared them last night while I was playing, and all 3 have +10. Not the 15 I remember, but double the sailor suit. Probably not an upgrade in every way, but close enough that it's well-worth the upgrade. I'm not sure which is best among the other 3, so I usually go with "whatever I've gotten from gambling and looting."

Bring down the Watchtower can also be used to train bravery fairly safely. There's one opponent outside, and everyone else is stuck inside. It's boring, but you can do it. I think it works like healing wounds: 4 or more successes gets you +10 bravery. Successes here is a turn under 50 morale without going crazy. It also only really works when you've got low bravery.

Wow, I got it all wrong.  The descriptions on the gym suit, swimsuit, and bikini clearly show the XP bonus, it is just not as obvious as the Sailor suit (probably because the Sailor suit is supposed to be researched first).  Bring Down the Watchtower doesn't benefit from any of those suits, as they don't cause morale damage.  For training bravery, have the gals go Naked, they'll get scared and their morale will probably drop below 50 before they get to the watchtower.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 08:06:25 am »

I.. I've never trained bravery intentionally. Is this why I never got far in the game?

Dossier 3: First Blood

A small church in the Eurasian woods just waiting to be ransacked. Two armed altar boys immediately in sight.

All action all the time! The boy bleeding out had a shotgun, so Star had to shoot him immeditely. The other one's got a handle, and ran to get his b-boy friend who carries a revolver. I'd love to throw a Molotov at them, but no such luck. Personally I ran to the door and put a handful of buckshot into a neophyte who happened to be on the other side.

That's a... flamethrower. It sure would suck to get incinerated by a man in a dress...

...so instead I bail to beat up a kid. What? I can't just hog all the experience for myself!

Human crew members also need some action. First Jen Shoot stabbed an inconveniently located neophyte, then Jacqueline Chan hit the priest in the throat with a javelin. Javelins are some of my favorite weapons ever for a reason.

Another fantastic kill for Jacqueline and her javelins! Star failed to stun the altar boy because she spent her TUs healing the neophyte that Jen had stabbed last turn.

Oh right, Jen Shoot is wearing a swimsuit, but since she's a peasant, she has lucha libre instead of martial arts. The peasant places a chokehold on the sharp guy's throat. The peasant strangles the sharp guy's throat! The sharp guy passes out.

The rest of the raid was just beating up civies. We got a brand new revolver, a flamer, and some other stuff that's not really worth talking about. We definitely should get researching both weapons and captives.

The knowledge of violence allows us to research many exciting topics, and I mean it when I say it.

We had to kick out Aunt Jemima. Her pancakes were unlike any others, but it was just not worth waiting 25 days for her to get out of the hospital.
Rina Wind is the first hired hand; excellent at melee, decent at throwing, not exactly great at shooting. At least her mobility is quite good.

Oh no, this is just not something I like doing this early on. A rival gang of uber mutants with better equipment than ours is attacking our goblin allies. We can try, but I can't promise anything.

Blunderbusses, handcannons, boarding guns, everything we'd like to have.  This might end well if we play our cards well. Not for Lokk'naars it won't, but maybe for us.

Second turn and we've taken out a good portion of ninjas. First Silver chariot sent a cannonball at that ninja who's on the ground bleeding; then I axed the one under the apple tree, and unloaded my sawed-off into the gal wounded by Chariot; Then Jen and Star threw their bombs while Rina tossed a Molotov. Now we're dealing with two wounded ninjas and one burning one.

And now we have two ninjas who are both bleeding and burning.

Well, that was way easier than I expected. Sudoku blades and piratey guns are a nice loot, though I'd prefer to get apples.

This is what a highwayman told us about. Skorpion is technically a pistol, but whatever. It is more accurate and faster than spraygun, and only just a bit weaker. The main feature here is incendiary ammo that, like most fire-based weapons, chews through morale at incredible speed. It's more than just a gimmicky weapon, that much I can tell you.

Weirdness, the art of making horrible choices and not getting punished for it - the pirate way apparently. More fascinating research topics, among them spring cleaning and ballistics.

Laborers show up in some civilian transports. They have very little themselves and even capturing them is bad rep, but their airtrucks carry goods in bulk. We can also find swimsuits and gym suits in their shippings.

At least we've got a piece of advice from her. A useless piece of advice because we'd learn that by ourselves anyway.

Gunna Happy reporting for duty! Duty? For whatever pirates report for! She's a great gunna with great TUs. She can't stab for shit and is a complete pusspuss though.

A common form of loot - a purse to be opened by runts in the workshops. It's literally cash.

We've received a distress signal from a gal who has crash landed in Turanian desert... Wait, it's awfuly green for a desert...

And we're fighting against giant cockroaches. On the battlefield they look like rhinoceros beetles, but maybe it's just mutation working its wonders.

Easy first kills for Rina (cutlass) and Happy (chainsaw). Cockroaches are tough to kill with guns, so this is actually the right way to go about this. Then Candice Nuts stabbed the last cockroach with a spear. The end.

+14 stamina growth for Happy, always good to see.

X-grog is primarily a way to make money out of nothing, but can be used in battle. Basically it's a superheavy medikit with all the standard applications. It is faster than bandages, curiously, and has no adverse effects. The problem is that it is two-handed and blocks both hands, meaning that a gal can't even shoot a pistol with a barrel in her hands.

Ah crap, a mutant pogrom. Pogroms are terror missions basicaly - difficult operations where we're expected to deal with large numbers of well-armed enemies and their terror units.

We're not fighting nazis at night with ol' revolvers and ball bats, no sir.

This is more my speed - an Academy outpost in Hidden Expanse. Once we contact merchants, we'll be able to take on more dangerous enemies, but right now let's stick to what we can deal with.

Osirion lackeys fell to Happy's flintlock balls and Jen's buckshot, while nurses were neutralized with Chariot's buckshot and Rina's Molotov. The drone floating above us is worrying though.

Not anymore. A single shot was enough to destroy its delicate circuitry. No more laser rain for us.

Rina and Happy continue to prove their worth. Rina by stabbing a medic to death with a scimitar, Happy by doing some great sniping.

If they hadn't surrendered we might have lost Jen whose shotgun skills I had overestimated greatly. At least those skills have improved by 1 after this mission.

Dogs are useful, especially since they are auxillaries and don't take space in the barracks. As we all know dogs can easily take out unarmored targets if they can avoid getting shot which usually ends in their death.

Out of the entire society of Earth only factions are really our enemies, but we have to remember there are elements outside of the society and outside of Earth that are hostile and dangerous. The text also fails to mention the lowest part of the society we live in - gamers, an oppressed minority just waiting to rise up.

Now we can finally buy some quality weapons that we really needed, even some new ones we didn't know of before:

Spoiler: New equipment! (click to show/hide)

We're back from a shopping trip! Truth be told I don't know why I bought so many domestic shotguns, but the rest was completely reasonable.

Back to the action. We're dismantling a ratman village in Fuso in attempt to gather some apples. Those missions can get pretty rough early on, not because the enemies are strong or anything, but because there are just so many small buildings and hiding spots.

First Candice pierced a ratman brigand with a javelin behind the airbus, then the gals had assumed the positions. Platinum Star has noticed that one of the doors out there is open, signifying that a ratman had come through there.

It was actually an enemy dog. Rina made short work of it and actually shortened it too using her cutlass. Dogs can cause quite a bit of grief if they manage to ambush our crew. Maybe not as much as a ratman brigand with a double-barreled shotgun, but still.

Star blasted a ratman with a sawed-off, then proved to be a merciful mistress - she whacked a dog over the head with a handle instead of filling it with lead.

Meanwhile Candice and Dog worked together to take down a ratman brigand. Crossbows in the hands of those wretched assholes can be deadly, especially to peasants and small animals.

That's some situation Star, Chariot and Happy have got themselves into. There's a ratman brigand with a crossbow sniping from the tallest building, and a revolver-dude patrolling the alleys.

With enough buckshot we've taken care of the revolvero, and using a big stick diplomacy we've managed to convince the other ratman to let us into his apple orchard. Happy got badly wounded and had to heal herself with vodka.

The thing I do like about those maps is that most walls are easily breakable. Wounded Happy retreated to make a hole in the wall for Candice and her javelins. To be frank, Star could have stunned the ratman with her handle, but Candice needs experience badly.

Rina is currently raking up big kills while cleaning up the tall building. She's already chopped up a brigand and the local leader, leaving only the crossbowman to be killed later.

Exemplary job, gals. Other than apples there wasn't really much of value in the village. An ol' carbine is something to reasearch at least. Happy got a plenty of stamina which will definitely be useful.

Ghostgates can go eat pant; they don't seem to understand that if I die of nazis there won't be any more interventions.

Pistols are fast, light, cheap, accurate and one-handed, perfect weapons for a variety of roles - weak recruits, scouts, whackas with heavy melee weapons, shooty and stabby commandos, etc. The drawbacks are pretty obvious, the main ones being low damage and relatively low range. That doesn't mean that there aren't powerful pistols, oh no, it just means that they shouldn't be the main choice of weapon when fighting heavy armored enemies.

I've never used workers, could anyone try to convince me why they are worth using? I mean, sure, they can potentially save a tile that would have otherwise been used for a storeroom. For now we're building barracks so we can hire more brainers and hands.

While the workers are slaving away, the gals have arrived in a small village in Ghostgates. There's an un-robbed temple around here, which we have to change. The thing is, the entrance point is quite far away from the actual temple.

The sharp guy was dangerous, so Gold Experience and Rina Wind ganged up on him with stun batons. I won't allow our gals to get killed with a small revolver of all things.

Here is the temple! And an altar boy with a holdout pistol standing on the roof.

Star is training her shooting skills by blasting an altar boy with a shotgun. I know we shouldn't be killing kids, but they shouldn't be shooting us with their babby guns either.

Trying to bum-rush us with neophythes isn't very effective if we're packing sawed-off shotguns. The double shot function allows us to turn a guy into red mist, then do the same with the guy standing behind him without using much more TUs. Two kills for Silver Chariot.

Candice is also doing her part AND training shooting while stunning a woman with a stun dart. Then the dog ran up the stairs and mauled a kid. I could have sworn we've bought german shepherd, but apparently they have some pitbull blood in them. It's just a joke/maymay, I love all dogs.

And now the temple is on fire. Gold Experience shot a cheeky Skorpion burst at the neophyte with a heavy shotgun, then ran into cover. The guy will likely panic or pass out, but better safe then sorry. That's what my mom used to tell me when we were out shooting acolytes.

Chariot went in through the back doors and just outright whacked the priest on the noggin. Then we've wrangled up the civilians and...

We're done. We've collected tons of cool stuff - apples, weed, a tommy gun, expensive lingerie, a gun almanac, and of course all those things we can sell for hard cash.

Speaking of hard cash! Bags of cash can be unpacked for cash, how surprising. Unfortunately there's no option to bludgeon someone with it or else it would become my weapon of choice.

Experiment victims are mutants kidnapped by the Academy for, surprise, experiments. They are obviously not the kind of mutants to get cool and useful powers like iron skin, portals to hell for eyes, or complete control over weather. Crazy how a one mutated gene can change a person, huh? For now we can only hire the mutant as a worker, but later we'll get more options.

Before we let the experiment victim go, they told us all about eggs. Other than restoring 1 HP it also restores 25 stamina, but causes 15 stun damage. If you're desperate for this single HP, you're welcome to take eggs into battle. If you really want to do serious healing, then you have to eat all the eggs.

Altar boys are the lowest in the Church's ranks, not even truly a part of its structure. These lads use tiny guns that they can't use effectively, have no armor, are prone to panicking when things go bad for them and their allies. I think killing them really is bad karma, but it's not bad enough to get a temple raid's score into negative. All jokes I could make about altar boys would be a bit too spicy, so I'll refrain from doing that.

The kid has told us all he knew about porn mags. Those are useful for manufacturing certain objects, but not much more.

Researchers are almost non-combatants. They do carry weapons, but just like altar boys they can't really utilize them well. They can be ransomed for a good sum despite not knowing many useful things. Makes you wonder why there aren't actually qualified scientists in the outposts.

Wow, that was a waste of research. The only reason I'm not COMPLETELY completely disappointed is that it's a tip #69. Heh heh.

The six-shooter is a remarkably accurate revolver, just a bit slower than our ol' revolvers. Other advantages of this gun are its lower weight and superior range, both valuable for handguns.

I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but bows are garbage. They drain stamina, eat TUs like dinner, deal almost no damage, have greatly limited range, are useless in forests and buildings. I very much prefer a good javelin over any bow I've encountered in this game.

A brothel in the Dark Dominion, huh? Those missions can go either way depending on the landing place, but the reward is a free-ish hand and possibly some cool guns. We'll also have a chance to strangle some hookers, and I'm always up for that.

They've already sent hookers to greet us. How surprised will they be when instead of showering them with credit chips we'll start bashing their heads and tazing them with stun batons. But that's for next turn, of course.

Shit, candice is down, shot with a niner after she tried to javelin the hoe on the balcony.
I don't really feel the stun batons. I think it's the 0%-200% damage calculation in action - most successful hits are on the lower end. Handle is just more reliable, and that's why I like it so much.

Bullshit, a single touch from a hooker and Rina is already down. We're taking her, Candice, and one of the stunned hookers to the bus and let's get out of here. This was a horrible start.

Not everything went badly though - gals got good stamina from all this swinging and running and whatnot.

Rtmen are bastards, hiding in their cluttered villages and always packing heat. Fortunately it's hard to find a gun that will not kill a ratman outright, and with more advanced armor ratman genocide becomes a breeze since their guns aren't high class and they don't use explosives. Meeting a ratman underground, however, is a completely different story.

The ratman ust have seen a conversion going on because that's what he told us about. Those missions start with gunships full of warmaidens, then they send a shrine ship that does the actual conversion. For reasons unknown the conversion involves a live chryssalid. Temple ships themselves seem more menacing than they really are, but the crew really is dangerous.

We haven't seen a gov't agent in action, but I ca tell you they are much more dangerous than other low-level mooks. Most importantly they've got good guns and they can shoot. On the other hands they are still just dudes in suits, so a bullet or a grenade can take care of them. Not that I approve of killing them.

Pacification missions, as I uderstand it, sanctioned terror attacks against unruly mutant populace. Pretty much everything involved can take down our ships, and as it stands now, our crew too. We don't have to worry about pacification missions yet; right now terror missions are freelance, performed by bandits, humanists or paramilitary groups unrelated to factions.

Melee, the king of all combat forms. A big stick beats a gun most of the time provided that it hits before the gun does. Or that the gun is not of the plasma variety.

Theban Hive, we've arrived near Jerusalem to bring down a watchtower. I expect some frustration because I forgot to bring a chainsaw.

Never mind, I brought a grenade. A neophyte popped out of the watchtower just to me mowed down and burned by Gold Experience's Skorpion reaction fire.

And then everything went as expected.

Gotta be honest, ballers seem like a relict of the mod's early days, forgotten and unused since. Actually I've never seen a single one outside of stranded gov't agent missions. They are lightly armored enemies excelling in throwing and melee, not so much shooting. Ball bats were designed to smack these guys, apparently.

Blenders, toothpicks, crab-repellant; all things city folks desperately need. It's good money.

Now that we've finished building barracks, let's fill them with brainers and runts so we can process captives and make grog in larger quantities.

But right now let's focus on something else, namely gov't agents who got stranded in a rough part of town. Gee, you would think that with all their training they would be able to defend themselves from rabid quarterbacks or stray dogs.

You guys may say that peasants are a liability, but it does feel great when one of them spears a baller to death. Way to go Jacqueline Chan.

I probably shouldn't have said that. A baller whacked Jacqueline with a crowbar, the old Joker-Jason Todd maneuver. Silver Chariot avenged her fallen sister swiftly and brutally with two shots of her shotgun.

Not every peasant is as unlucky as Jacqueline. Jen Shoot skewered a baller with her wakizashi despite the disadvantage of being, well, a human woman without any formal training. She's shaping up to be a fine crewgirl.

Some Skorpion bursts always make the mission way more entertaining.

I let Jen take care of the last baller on the map.

Shame about Jacqueline. Apparently the baller she's speared bleeding out counted as him being killed after she died, thus the "avenger" condemnation.

New toy! The Tommy Gun is a two-handed SMG with firepower greatly superior to the spraygun and greater firing speed in auto-fire. It's also much more accurate in aimed shot, although it has the same range penalties. The large drum mag allows for 10 bursts between reloads.

The holdout pistol is an NPC weapon added so that we won't get steamrolled by a horde of altar boys with real pistols on our first mission. Why else would a gun like this exist? It's fast but inaccurate, and its bullets won't do any damage to our gals half the time. The small revolver looks like BFG9000 in comparison.

The Academy is planning something sinister again, this time in Iron Tribe. We'll take care of them some other time.

We're slowly progressing, upgrading our equipment and base, training the gals; nothing very exciting just yet.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 12:08:44 pm »

Yay! I'm useful!

Also you can shoot a pistol while holding grog, but you can't grog while holding a pistol. That is what the quickdraw slot is for.
Grog can be really usefull in some environments when you brought the wrong armor (for me usually because I can't be bothered to change the loadout). The many uses out of a single cask make it great.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 12:57:42 pm »

So "blocks two hands" or whatever is that in "ANAL" section just means it's obligatorily two-handed? I thought there was another tag for that. Huh. I'm usually good with moonshine-vodka combo unless I forget to change armor. I also like nurse get-up and hybrid advisors for heals of all kinds.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 02:04:00 pm »

Hey, I'm still waiting on a redshirt to get named after me.
it's over

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 07:25:50 am »

Hold-out pistols are awesome for training reactions - they have low TU cost, do a small amount of damage each time, and ammo is cheap to acquire.  My Lokknaars (sp?) use them exclusively for the first dozen or so missions until they can hold bigger guns and can shoot straighter.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:56 am »

The tritanium shrapnel charge crate of violence is a tool for killing and setting people on fire. I've never really used it, but massive cutting damage paired with fire-induced morale drain is a sure way to dispose of even the toughest enemies. Of course it would be too perfect if it was easy to use. Weighing 10 units and having a 40% accuracy it is incredibly hard to deliver where you want it to be. The best way to use it would be to pre-activate it, run up to the target next turn, drop it, ther walk away not looking at the explosion.

That works, or blowing up farmhouses. Not as good as barrel bomb, but not much is.

Oh no, this is just not something I like doing this early on. A rival gang of uber mutants with better equipment than ours is attacking our goblin allies. We can try, but I can't promise anything.

Worse, they carry melee weapons so my tactic of walking up next to them with a few energy left (energy, not time) so they can't hit anything has a drawback.

Laborers show up in some civilian transports. They have very little themselves and even capturing them is bad rep, but their airtrucks carry goods in bulk. We can also find swimsuits and gym suits in their shippings.

Capturing any enemy you've researched is at least 10 points positive rep, though. So you're good to go, now.

Ah crap, a mutant pogrom. Pogroms are terror missions basicaly - difficult operations where we're expected to deal with large numbers of well-armed enemies and their terror units.

I'm not sure if you get any penalty at all before joining the mutant alliance. Some aren't too bad, and you can pick up a Young Uber (a roadblock for a lot of research) sometimes.

The drone floating above us is worrying though.

Once you loot some stun batons (and later buy/win electro lassos), drones are easy (1-shot). Turns out, robots don't like getting shocked. Batons are weird, in that the the base damage 20 isn't great, but power bonus (20% of reaction) and 25% armor bypass makes it better than it looks. And only the highest-end enemies seem to have good electricity resistances.

Melee, the king of all combat forms. A big stick beats a gun most of the time provided that it hits before the gun does. Or that the gun is not of the plasma variety.

If you're standing next to someone and they try to shoot, you can slap their gun around to make them miss. It's automatic if you've got 9+ energy left and decent reaction+melee stats. The enemy does it to you as well. And the Ai isn't usually smart enough to walk back one space before shooting.

I've never used workers, could anyone try to convince me why they are worth using? I mean, sure, they can potentially save a tile that would have otherwise been used for a storeroom. For now we're building barracks so we can hire more brainers and hands.

Are they the same as slaves (negative upkeep)? Because paying a negative salary to someone is a good thing.

Hold-out pistols are awesome for training reactions - they have low TU cost, do a small amount of damage each time, and ammo is cheap to acquire.  My Lokknaars (sp?) use them exclusively for the first dozen or so missions until they can hold bigger guns and can shoot straighter.

I use handles/stun batons for the same reason.

So "blocks two hands" or whatever is that in "ANAL" section just means it's obligatorily two-handed? I thought there was another tag for that.

There's also a 2 in the bottom right (?) corner for 2-handed objects. A green 2 means there's a penalty to use it with the other hand full, red means it can't be done.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 10:10:12 am »

As the name implies, you have to pay workers. You can save base tiles for money, and you can buy as many as you want if you need to expand space quicky for some reason (the space savings should apply once they are bought, no need to wait for the to arrive). I sometime turn some prisoners into them, but I never buy them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4