Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to close your fort to migrants  (Read 1196 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Ability to close your fort to migrants
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:04:33 pm »

Sometimes you need them, but having too much of them leads to FPS death. So what I would like would be an ability to enact some law that would close your fort to migrants as long as it is in effect and when you're ready for new migrants to come, you could disable said law. This would help maintain forts that are close to FPS death from succumbing to it entirely until it can be cleaned up enough to allow new migrants to come. Not to mention that it could give rise to new kind of self-imposed challenge: how far can you go with the original 7 (or whatever limit you'd set for yourself) dwarves until fun happens?
And yes, I know about pop cap limits, etc. but ability to control population via enacting anti-immigration law would be much more interesting and flexible since FPS death may not be the only reason you don't want new dwarves - another would be dealing with undead problem or lack of ability to feed/make drinks for the new guys. Yes, you could just kill extras, but that may lead to a tantrum spiral and/or ghosts.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to close your fort to migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:48 pm »

Hmm i imagine this kind of thing will come in line with start scenarios, maybe if you're a mining expedition you can just say "nope enough miners thanks" but not so if you're some kind of colony?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:29:51 am »

You can do this via the "banishment" screen as well.  New migrants show up to closed walls, pause the game, banish them, unpause.  Away they go to the outer world again, possibly to set up a hillock nearby.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:16:34 am »

Yeah, the problem is I have to do this each wave AND I must remember which dwarves were already in my fortress (which is hard in 30+ forts). But thanks for trying to help anyway.
//edit: Didn't notice this post.
Hmm i imagine this kind of thing will come in line with start scenarios, maybe if you're a mining expedition you can just say "nope enough miners thanks" but not so if you're some kind of colony?
Well, I'd like it to be possible regardless of the scenario for the reasons outlined in the OP (helps manage FPS of the fort and you may want to close down borders if you're hunting undead that came into your fortress or are on the verge of famine).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:19:39 am by darkhog »
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).