Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suckerdungeons: Because getting killed once wasn't enough  (Read 3724 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Suckerdungeons: Because getting killed once wasn't enough
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:10:15 pm »

Since I really like prefaces, here's one for you (now with more parentheses!).

Preface:
The Organized Land has been a land of prosperity, order, and relative peace (and organization, of course). Goblins have little sway over politics of the world (I'm honestly worried if they ever really do, like who invites the lords of evil over to have a vote on the council?), and only control a small sect of land in the Northwestern corner of the world. There is tension between the elves and the dwarves, but there has been little other than skirmishes (some embellishment taken, I'm pretty sure there's been a few major wars in legends somewhere) between the two sides.

Which all means.... it's Goblin time once again boys!

This fort is the spiritual successor of Badwild, and if you haven't already read it (or skimmed over it at least) then you should probably do that. I don't think I'll bother meticulously explaining the goblin rules, but instead I'll just copy/paste my notes on them over from last time.

Spoiler: "Da Rules" (click to show/hide)

As said before, elves and dwarves are common in the world. That's well enough, because I intend to make them not common anymore; my goal is to get the world into age of the goblin merely by murdering stuff. Will we succeed? Probably not. Will there be death? Absolutely. So, maybe age of the goblin is a secondary goal, with the primary goal of murdering everything including ourselves. This way we literally cannot fail, because losing is winning and winning is still winning.

I'll just hop right to it and get with embarking:

I choose a decent spot, leaving room for a small-ish amount of ore but otherwise making the embark calm and peaceful so I can focus on murdering things.
Spoiler: Boring, but practical (click to show/hide)

My embark loadout is more interesting.

To compliment this, I bring the standard goblin loadout of unskilled everything-doers and then a few of the medic caste that does all the jobs that conflict with military like mining, nobility stuff, and medicine.

Oh yeah, and I edited the site government symbol for once. I like it more now.

Next is our classic strike the earth screen. I snap a picture of it but don't read it except for the black bear bit. Still, the point stands: the embark train has left the building.

So, welcome to Suckerdungeons, suckers! yes, I did name the fort entirely for that pun.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Suckerdungeons: Because getting killed once wasn't enough
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:44 pm »

Hooray, another one!

"A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place"
I mean... it's not wrong.  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:30:19 am »

Was looking forward to another one of these, hopefully it won't bug out this time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:07:31 pm »

So, this would be the part where I give a big gif or something of a pan over the entire embark, except my gif recording thing is continually breaking now and messed up my nice shot. I've got a new one now, but the original untamed wilderness of the embark has been ruined. It's just a flatland with a bunch of trees and a few ponds though, nothing interesting.

I hop right to work though, and dig out some early quarters as well as placing a few workshops above for masonry, carpentry, and metalworking. The rock is all mudstone, which would normally bother me, but in this case I give 0 hecks about what the local rocks look like.

Spoiler: Now with doors! (click to show/hide)

While digging the next housing layer (which will look exactly the same) I strike some hematite!
Spoiler: Fear me now, world! (click to show/hide)
Nice, but hopefully this won't make things too easy on me as to reduce the number of entertaining deaths.

Boring first season stuff happens, and, as per usual, I forget to make a depot for the summer goblins.
Spoiler: Eh, whatever (click to show/hide)
There's still a lot of stuff I want to get going (which includes the friggin depot), but seven mooks isn't nearly enough to do it all, especially since I've ordered them to mass manufacture doors and beds.

However, on the list of things I did accomplish is the creation of a nice set of all-iron uniforms. I eschew using the copper whips I brought and instead order them melted. Copper is probably more effective than iron for blunt, (it weighs a bit more, right?) but I like my orderly militaries so screw that.

And then I get some wonderful cancel spams. Keas! I quickly build my metalsmith forge as to not get the anvil stolen.

I prepare for being pestered by the darn things for the rest of the game, but then...

Still, now that we've got a metalsmith forge and most of our basic stuff is up, time to get cracking at the forges!
I queue up a bunch of work orders for gear, and my slaves citizens get to work.

Things are shaping up quite nicely.
Despite the rain, one of my peasants is even happy! I don't really check to see who it is, but my guess is that it's the miner.

And then... Autumn!
Wait. That means... where are my hard-coded migrants? Why di- oh, I changed the pop cap (from 3, long story) but didn't close the text file so the changes didn't happen. Welp. Guess I got another season to prep.

Not a full game week passes before I see the results of my change. The fall wave arrives.
And huh. It should be limited to a size of 10, but instead I got 18! I mean, like half of them are kids, so dang, but still, weird that the wave is a lot bigger than expected. Maybe the pop cap thing broke the hard-coded-ness of this wave?

Eh. I put them to work.

Also, my miner is finally done with the three housing levels (each of which hold 32 goblins, screw the last 4 of my 100 pop cap), and also I'm out of ore to smelt, so it's mining time!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I queued up a 20 more sets of gear to outfit new squads, so I'll need more bars, too.

Up topside my woodcutter is finally getting done too.
laughs in unlimited coal
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:16:10 pm by NordicNooob »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 03:06:41 pm »

Before there is murder, there must be industry! And I must say, things go wonderfully quickly when you don't care who does a given job so long as it's done fast:D

By the by, the images under the spoilers "Now with doors!" and "Fear me now, world!" are identical. I assume there's supposed to be a hematite-vein screenie in there somewhere?

klonk
Sigtext

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 04:15:17 pm »

Heck, ye, that second one is just supposed to be the "you found hematite" screenshot. Lemme just fix that real quick.

Oh yeah, and on the old thread you messed up your opening url tag.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:16:51 pm by NordicNooob »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:05:58 pm »

Oh. Oop. Fix'd now.  ::)

klonk
Sigtext

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:49:44 pm »

Kinda wish this world's map were as eye-searingly awful as that of Badwild, but this should still be fun. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:41 pm »

Suckerdungeons has recieved its first petitioner! A dwarf bard, which could be useful due to the dwarven aptitude for combat. Or just to have a cute little bearded dude in the fort, watching everything burn around him.
And then I remembered dwarves need to eat. Nope, not starting a food industry for a cute little bearded dude. On my orders whoever sees these petitioners gives him the finger and he huffs off.

Oh yeah, and it's go time for operation: do everything. First up, smooth the bedrooms.

Next, the exploration shafts are dug. I designate the entire layer's ore to be automined.

And, of course, a little bit of construction work is due.
I leave some holes in the wall to serve as front gates. I'll make gatehouses later.

By mid-spring of 201, most everything is finishing up.
However, everybody is still constantly busy, even the medics.

And then, migrants!
They stream on the map in large numbers, relieving my already overworked mooks.

Well, I won't have anybody idling. Craftpeasants, thirty sets of armor, now!

I decide to start working on an awning, since I'm gonna need more room and also some goblins are starting to get upset over always being rained on. And then I run out of mudstone blocks. Dangit.
I build up a few more mason's shops and then queue three hundred up, well aware of how many blocks it will actually produce.

Still, many hands make light work and my mooks mass-produce enough blocks that I can finish this bit of it within a few days.

To complement the thirty sets I've ordered, I assemble uniforms for three more squads, these ones with weapons native to the dwarves.

A few weeks later, the first tantrums begin taking place as some random dude is fed up with lack of worker rights or whatever.

Apparently everybody else wants to fight something, too. The perpetrator gets the crap beat out of him.

After that, things sort of fall into a rhythm. Migrants come, blocks get made, occasional orders like arms-making, creation of medical supplies, and mining orders are given, and nothing interesting really happens other than occasional fistfights.

Before I know it, the roof of the first floor is almost done.
Almost done isn't done, though, and stress is reaching pretty bad levels, enough to cause actual harm to some random mooks. Not that I care about them, but military training may have to begin early to make sure my lunatics don't murder themselves before inviting anything else into the fray.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 10:57:31 am »

Construction is slowing down quite a bit due to lack of blocks. And the block shortage is coming from the lack of rocks (well, nearby rocks, everything is a 50 tile trek nowadays).

Lemme fix that.

And then some jerk brings a sword to a fistfight.
To add to it, somebody is already insane.
I really need to get- y'know what, screw it. Everybody, start training. The roof isn't fully finished but I don't care, the fort is gonna drive itself bonkers if I don't start training.

Eventually migrants show up to alleviate the roof situation.

However, there's another problem. We're out of cloth, as the medics constantly remind me every 0.33 seconds.
I don't really have much I can do about it, since the caravan has refused to come for the past few seasons, there aren't any plants I can farm for cloth on the surface, and I'm not really willing to open the caverns yet. I might be forced to, and probably will eventually, though.

Despite that, stress improves through the seasons.

Mostly.

The main problem with those 6 angry mooks is that they refuse to leave the hospital. I disband the hospital, station their squad, make a new hospital, remove the beds, make a third hospital elsewhere, and still, only like one of them has gotten up, even though nobody there has major wounds.

And then, wait. Well crap.
It's 203!We haven't received migrants in over a year, and a caravan (aka cloth wagon) for over two! Heck! I need those expendable hordes of knaves, thank you! Why are they cutting my supply off? I've only lost two, and one of them technically isn't dead yet, he's just running around, naked and insane.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 01:59:24 am »

However, there's another problem. We're out of cloth, as the medics constantly remind me every 0.33 seconds.
Just DF things~

I guess mainland goblins started a war with everyone and are losing/lost.

Can't you alleviate the migrant situation with trolls or something? I know they went insane in absurdly short time last time, but maybe this time they'll go crazy even sooner?

Also, those 3x3 wall blocks on surface+1 must have been mite annoying. That's more effort than I expected. The fortress as whole even tries to have aesthetics. Mostly for the player, but goblins get some too.

Might it be that your popcap file was saved but not closed perhaps?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 09:03:26 am »

I love how SuckerDungeon is made out of Mudstone only. The crappiest looking stone IMO.
Gotta build kill things fast !

Edit : The ceiling building GIFs are so satisfying to watch for some reason :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:07:13 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »

So, Spriggans, I'm pretty sure your comments are like, cursed or something. I'm gonna have to table this one again.

First off, I'm at uni, so RIP free time, and second, I'm also experiencing more goddamned bugs, this time related to my CPs not doing work at all when off-duty rather than them doing only equip jobs. I suppose individual drills are better than training your shirt-picking-up skills, but I'm now convinced that this series is doomed to constant friggin' bugs. Also we aren't getting any migrants (I'm not a death trap, I swear!) or caravans, so this is just gonna be the end of Badwild 2.0 when I wanted nothing of the sort since sort of fading out and then suiciding isn't nearly as fun as getting murdered by 6000 pissed off dwarves or having a huge tantrum spiral from 6000 dwarf corpses.

I do have like a half update's worth of images and stuff that's mostly just me complaining about said bugs, but nothing is written up yet and I'm not sure if I plan to. Oh right, I do also begin murdering in that update, but off-site raids are no fun and I didn't get any sieges.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:55 am »

So, Spriggans, I'm pretty sure your comments are like, cursed or something.

I don't know if this is a compliment or not :-[

Too bad for your fort :(
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]