Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Marks of Royalty OOC  (Read 8119 times)

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Marks of Royalty OOC
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 07:02:39 am »

*Notices there are already 10*

Well shoot, thought I might give it a go. If a spot opens I'd like to try a male healer, but one who is not a bible thumper, if FEoF has room for that particular combination of ideals. To edit your quote OP:
-This is the first time I've actually played a game of Fire Emblem, so I might be an idiot once in a while. Try to bear with me.

That being the case I'd just take a default or random build, I haven't built up a preference for a custom one, beings I am new. Well maybe keep me in mind next time you need some one for a session.

"Yippie!"

(In the event it was a coincidence kj posted a non religious male healer after I requested one then disregard this, though I feel like I am being a hypochondriac, then again, I am prone to faux paus from misunderstanding. I based the avatar on a historical figure I admire. But they are dead so it shouldn't be a problem.)
As Kj said already, it is a coincidence, since he had been working on it for a while for his character. In addition, he's also right. Making your own sheet/character is part of the FEF game's charm, from the mechanics to make them have their own flavor, to the normal process to make them a, you know, character. If you actually want to learn the mechanics of doing so, which are fairly simple once you get a grasp on them, I'm sure there are people around, including myself, who can help. There's also the fact that I am confused by your "Well maybe keep me in mind next time you need some one for a session" statement, considering the fact that this isn't a DnD campaign, it's a Forum RP. I'm not going to make "sessions" for the game, because I have no need to.

Essentially, no, I'm not going to allow you to use Kj's sheet, because it's his character, even if you make a character that I like and decide to accept. It's best to make your own and add your own flavor to them. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I need to put my foot down somewhere.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:07 am »

I am autistic and too many details overwhelm me. No part of the actual playing of these games looked too much for me. You offer to help, well I asked for only what I need. I learn by playing, not sponging a book of rules. I play with a default character I can be ready for a custom one next time. It's no one's job to make me a character, and I accept that. But you offered to help. We all need different kinds of help. If it were a few choices, but it is literally infinite combinations. All of which I have no experience to form an opinion on. Eh, this post feels too much like whining, which I am not going for. I was just diagnosed this year, and am not sure when it is right to use it as a clarifier and not come off as an excuse.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:20:18 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:42 am »

There's no default character.

You must make your own from scratch, from stats, skills, to backstory, and, very often, the mug itself ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 11:26:09 am »

Why are there no default characters? Seems like an opportunity.
Awesome With Autism

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 11:31:13 am »

Why are there no default characters? Seems like an opportunity.
There's no reason to have a default character. Every game is set in such and such a different setting that to make a default character that anyone could pop into any campaign would be useless as it wouldn't at all fit in any given setting a GM might want to use.

Furthermore, there are also abridged versions of the handbook available for you if you don't want to skim through the whole thing with fluff, which are linked in the Hub, which has a wealth of resources for you to make an informed decision on what kind of character you'd like to make. Presumably you are aware of other tabletop game systems that operate essentially the same way; handbooks are available for any game for the player and the GM to familiarise themselves with the rules. There are also other veteran players who are perfectly willing to give you pointers on how to write and stat up your own sheet, but we won't just make a sheet for you outright. It cannot be helped if you do not wish to make use of the resources available to you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:24 am »

...because every FEF is a different world, continents, cultures, campaign goals and everything in-between?

You can't make a default character for something that varies with each game ;v

Stop being lazy and make a sheet if you want to play, nobody's gonna do your work for you v;

EDIT: Ninja'd
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 11:33:09 am »

roseheart, if you have problems with parts of the rules you don't understand, we can help. But it sounds like you haven't even touched the rulebook. We can't help you if you don't have the slightest idea what goes into character creation.
And frankly, character creation is half the fun for FEF, default characters would only undermine that. Heck, vibrant personalities and having the characters interact with each other is probably the most fun part of both FEF and the GBA games.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 11:40:19 am »

I have indeed tried to make sense of the rulebook. I am talking about default stats. For example with the character I thought kj made for me, I was already imagining a story where he was the male nanny of the royal children. A default set of stats, or someone volunteering to make a character based on a set of desired traits, I feel would not rob the variety of characters.  The problem is mixing up stat sheet and bio.

Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:41 am »

Default Barbarian, Rogue, Paladin, DnD has a pallet you can grab for quick play, yes there is some dice rolls to make the stats randomized. But you can further flesh out the character as you play them. Maybe FEF could learn a thing from the accessibility of DnD, which I hear is pretty good at having a party with personality.
Awesome With Autism

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:01 am »

Wait, you mean, default classes? There are default classes.

You would know that if you've read the handbook v;

No sane GM will let a personal with no knowledge of rules play a game. This is not reading classes, mister ;v
SigFlags!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:31 am »

Furthermore, DnD is also designed for to be flexible for quick sessions as well as sustained weekly or even daily sessions, which is never the case with a FEF campaign, which by necessity will generally be longer and require more initial investment than a DnD oneshot session.

If you want a default row of stats, those already exist in the handbook, which should be mandatory reading for anyone who actually wants to participate in FEF. If you want an actual character that is more than a statblock, that's still on you, I'm afraid.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:53 am »

Furthermore, DnD is also designed for to be flexible for quick sessions as well as sustained weekly or even daily sessions, which is never the case with a FEF campaign, which by necessity will generally be longer and require more initial investment than a DnD oneshot session.

Did anyone tell him that FEF games take anywhere from 1 to 4 years at times? ;v
SigFlags!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:31 pm »

I am autistic and too many details overwhelm me. No part of the actual playing of these games looked too much for me. You offer to help, well I asked for only what I need. I learn by playing, not sponging a book of rules. I play with a default character I can be ready for a custom one next time. It's no one's job to make me a character, and I accept that. But you offered to help. We all need different kinds of help. If it were a few choices, but it is literally infinite combinations. All of which I have no experience to form an opinion on. Eh, this post feels too much like whining, which I am not going for. I was just diagnosed this year, and am not sure when it is right to use it as a clarifier and not come off as an excuse.

That's not how autism works, so no, you can't use it as an excuse here. Autism means sensory/motor processing issues and difficulty with social interactions; I would think that I would know.

To be totally blunt, your lack of willingness to engage with even basic aspects of the game (making a simple character, and at least asking for someone to make you a portrait) and assuming everyone is going to work around you is pretty disrespectful. Nothing is stopping you from literally copying a build from a previous game, if you need a template that badly.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »

Wait, you mean, default classes? There are default classes.

You would know that if you've read the handbook v;
Then I'll be a Steward.

Ivan Shnitzel Jr. Caretaker of the royal siblings. Navy font.

"and at least asking for someone to make you a portrait"
"difficulty with social interactions"

You see what you wanna see bub. I had no reason to assume I need to have someone make me a portrait. I even edited one I liked, so obviously I am engaged enough to be willing to play.
Awesome With Autism

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2019, 01:20:52 pm »

Are you engaged enough to understand how the game works?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6