Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rain-avoidance pathing type  (Read 1084 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
rain-avoidance pathing type
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:53 pm »

As this post suggests...

Sure.  But I go autonomously go inside when its raining.  There's no way to make dwarves do this on their own.  Maybe have a civilian alert every time it rains?
Needs a new type of pathing... one for "rain avoidance". It would be like "walk" pathing, but would exclude "Outside Light Aboveground" tiles while it is raining.

So each time it stops or starts raining, the available set of tiles for "rain avoidance" pathing type changes, and "rain avoidance" dwarfs will refuse to go into the rain until it stops or until the dwarf is starving (this is like the current situation with dwarfs stuck in a tree or on a wall, and they refuse to use Climb pathing to get out of the tree until they are starving). If the dwarf was already in the rain, they will use Walk Pathing (or even Climb pathing) to get out of it (just as dwarfs in water switch to Swimming mode until they are out of the water).

So, this would not be like a burrow, where the player has anything to say about what happens. The dwarf says "not going in the rain, no no no" and that is it.

Now you will have some dwarfs acting like some RL people do when a downpour starts... they wait in shelter until the rain stops or until their needs overwhelm their dislike of the rain. You may even see one dwarf walk through the rain to bring food or water to another dwarf, because one was willing to walk through the rain and the other was not.

I would attempt to argue that the FPS hit would be negligible, because rain rarely stops or starts, and because the pathing type would be more limiting on movement, but too much of my argument would be speculation.

And, what about "sun avoidance" pathing, for dwarfs that hit that emotional break point?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: rain-avoidance pathing type
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:54:06 pm »

I would just fix the bug which causes stress accumulation due to rain.  Much less hassle. Dwarves aren't meant to be driven insane by being caught once or twice in the rain.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: rain-avoidance pathing type
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 04:47:01 am »

Well, the idea started with with someone looking for a a way to reduce rain stress, but it is not about that. It is about having a creature change their default pathing method for reasons besides their physical limitations.

It is about the dwarf saying, "The weather is lousy so I am not doing any work that involves going out". The dwarf made the choice, not the player. The player is screaming about the tree not being cut, the woodcutter is busy hauling plump helmets. It is a protest of sorts, by the dwarf, and an alternative to the dwarf going to discuss things with the manager.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?