Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Contact and Conquest  (Read 3216 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Contact and Conquest
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:28:34 pm »

So I know how to use the world screen to send troops out to Raid and Exlore, but I don't know how to get more ambitious - how can I send troops to seize a site as a holding instead of just stealing yarn (as amusing as that is).

On a related note, there are human civs on the map but none of whom are in contact with me. How do I get in contact with them in order tog et a human caravan coming? Is that possible?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Contact and Conquest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:54:16 pm »

Send a dwarf to demand a one time tribute.  It worked to get me a couple elf caravans, so I assume it will work on human civs too.  They refused the demand, did not kill my dwarf (sadly, as he was very stressed), and have sent yearly caravans ever since.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »

Send a dwarf to demand a one time tribute.  It worked to get me a couple elf caravans, so I assume it will work on human civs too.  They refused the demand, did not kill my dwarf (sadly, as he was very stressed), and have sent yearly caravans ever since.

Okay. How is that done?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:18:07 pm »

Press <c> to bring up the civilization screen, then navigate to missions.  I don't recall the exact details other than it's in the menu brought up by pressing c.  This also shows a map on the world centered with the cursor starting on your fort.  You'll have to select which city from the map (they're easy to spot), and also you need a squad already formed to send.  I usually make a squad called diplomats comprised of my stressed dwarves and send them out to make contact.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:37:45 pm »

Press <c> to bring up the civilization screen, then navigate to missions.  I don't recall the exact details other than it's in the menu brought up by pressing c.  This also shows a map on the world centered with the cursor starting on your fort.  You'll have to select which city from the map (they're easy to spot), and also you need a squad already formed to send.  I usually make a squad called diplomats comprised of my stressed dwarves and send them out to make contact.

The only thing it lets me do is raid, which is the while thrust of my question. I know how to send dwarves ona . raid,, I want to know how I can make them do anything else.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:08 pm »

After creating a "raid", press 'd' for details, then select the type of mission and other options using the keys shown.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:29 am »

A bit more detail can be found on the wiki:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mission
I think it has the answer to your first question in there, but I haven't tried all the missions yet so I can't say for certain.

t seems that the various types of missions available through pressing d are dependent on which tile you have selected.  I'm not sure if you can demand tribute from everybody.  I had no contact with the elves at all - they weren't listed in my civilizations war/peace summary, but finding them on the map, I could still demand a one time tribute.

If you already are familiar with sending raids, you're definitely almost there, just poke around in the options a bit more.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:25:23 am by Schmaven »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »

t seems that the various types of missions available through pressing d are dependent on which tile you have selected.  I'm not sure if you can demand tribute from everybody.  I had no contact with the elves at all - they weren't listed in my civilizations war/peace summary, but finding them on the map, I could still demand a one time tribute.

If you already are familiar with sending raids, you're definitely almost there, just poke around in the options a bit more.

Those elves wont bother you unless you annoy them to prompt into war because you're likely too far away for their caravans and visitors (or not economically viable enough), though i have successfully bullied small goblin sites of tribute, they don't really have much of a record to holding to their promises not to break the continous tribute and declare war on you instead as they're always continously hostile.

I wanted to experiment with conquering them for consistent tribute instead but i never got round to it as i was being bothered by much larger armies.