Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make "Save game" option separate from "save game and exit to title screen"  (Read 3453 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel

The latter of which is how "Save game" currently does. Sometimes you may want to do a manual save to avoid losing progress to a crash or a power outage (and before you say "autosaves" yeah, no, autosave froze my machine for way more than it takes to save manually (an hour) and in the end I had to kill the process in the task manager because even dfhack console was dead - good thing I got a backup) and having to reload the game afterwards just wastes the time.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1.   Would be nice to save without having to immediately reload.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

I find it curious that the autosave took so long for you. I have experienced autosaving taking a while, but no longer than the manual saving does. It could be a DFhack thing.

A good suggestion either way, +1

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFHack doesn't affect autosaving, although it does add a "quicksave" script to trigger it manually. It should usually be faster than a manual save, in any case.

Incidentally, were you using "quicksave", and if so, did you run it in-game or from the DFHack console?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, wasn't aware of that command until you mentioned it.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it was a seasonal autosave that got stuck, then? That's strange, but is definitely a bug if it never finished saving (it probably got stuck pretty early on in the process). If it's reproducible, it would be worth reporting on the bug tracker.

At any rate, +1 to the suggestion - it's come up a few times before, and the code is evidently already in place (it'd just need a few minor tweaks to be usable from the options menu) so IMO it's doable.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile

My game takes forever to open worlds, so being able to save without closing would be amazing. +1
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 for a 'save and continue' option, and I also recommend an 'exit without saving' option. Some times you just need to quit the game right then and there, and currently your options are to either wait however long it takes to save and unload, or to kill the process. An 'end this now' button that's actually part of the game would be more practical.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 for a 'save and continue' option, and I also recommend an 'exit without saving' option. Some times you just need to quit the game right then and there, and currently your options are to either wait however long it takes to save and unload, or to kill the process. An 'end this now' button that's actually part of the game would be more practical.
What's the current trend in modern roguelikes for these features? Exit without Saving was left out for a reason, after all. Might be obsolete thinking nowadays though?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the current trend in modern roguelikes for these features? Exit without Saving was left out for a reason, after all. Might be obsolete thinking nowadays though?
Perhaps, but it's more of a practical concern than any enmity for the roguelike approach. Sometimes you forget something important during character gen or embark, sometimes you're just not feeling it and decide to try something else, sometimes windows decides you need this update right now you've got five minutes to wrap things up. We've always got task manager for when these things happenbut an in-game option would be nice, that's all I'm saying.

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps, but it's more of a practical concern than any enmity for the roguelike approach. Sometimes you forget something important during character gen or embark, sometimes you're just not feeling it and decide to try something else, sometimes windows decides you need this update right now you've got five minutes to wrap things up. We've always got task manager for when these things happenbut an in-game option would be nice, that's all I'm saying.
Yes. Everyone, including Toady, knows the reasons for Exit without Saving. It's left out because it was following a trend of making you feel more responsible for your actions rather than allowing you to save every two paces and reload with every small mistake.

Of course everything you say is a reason for having it, it always has been. But roguelikes and Dwarf Fortress along with them specifically chose not to do this. Now I'm asking if that way of thinking is obsolete? If not, it's not likely to be implemented since the reason for having it hasn't changed.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please don't ask me to denounce an entire design philosophy on a forum dedicated to a game implementing said design philosophy.

The only reason I mentioned exiting without saving in the first place is that it seemed like a natural progression from saving and continuing, and I proposed it as much as for ease of use as for a full range of options. I like options, and in general prefer their presence to their absence.

The option to continue playing immediately after saving instead of taking a detour through the main menu has merit on its own, which is why I support it. If that's as far as it goes, so be it.
 I only hope nobody finds fault with it because someone might use it to see how many different ways the same goblin in the same state of health reacts to being struck by the same speeding minecart. For educational purposes, of course.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roguelikes have had a save game option since before Dwarf Fortress was first published.  That shouldn't be controversial in the slightest. 

Having a quit command is more pressing for DF than for conventional roguelikes because no other roguelike can potentially take minutes to save on a contemporaneous computer.  Not letting the user quit without saving when saving takes a couple seconds on a slow disc is not the same as not letting the user quit without saving when saving takes minutes. 

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can always kill DF if you really want it to quit without saving.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make "Save game" option separate from "save game and exit to title screen"
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 11:06:31 am »

Or just type in die in the DFHack console.