Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some more military xXScienceXx  (Read 9528 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Some more military xXScienceXx
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 12:15:35 pm »

Would it be possible to equip Miner Dwarves with their Civilian uniform and their Combat uniform at the same time, so that they could simply switch from their Mining pickaxe to their Conbat pickaxe instead of running back and getting a new one? I’m getting ideas for an army of pick-wielders now...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 02:02:35 pm »

Would it be possible to equip Miner Dwarves with their Civilian uniform and their Combat uniform at the same time, so that they could simply switch from their Mining pickaxe to their Conbat pickaxe instead of running back and getting a new one? I’m getting ideas for an army of pick-wielders now...
Sadly, no. Each dwarf has two uniforms, and each uniform gets a separate pick (Civilian and Military uniforms, where the Civilian uniform is modified by the dwarf's Mining labor). In an emergency, you can choose a dwarf, disable Mining, forbid all picks except the one the dwarf is still holding, put the dwarf in the military, and assign an un-specified pick to the dwarf's uniform. When you unpause, he should drop the pick and immediately pick it up, but this may not work if he is already in combat.

Training a bunch of dwarfs with picks by Mining, then disabling Mining and putting them in the military, is highly enjoyed by some players. My process is to get them to legendary Mining, then give them a uniform with armor but no weapon, train them until they have 5+ in Dodging (if I can), then give them a pick and shield
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:26 pm »

For the emergency case, I prefer to disable mining, pass 1 step, then draft them with that pick in particular, to avoid forbidding all picks.

At the same time...I suppose the internal uniforms are accessible to dfhack. No idea what happens if you set them to use same items, but I suspect it wouldn't last and would desync as soon as they'd change anything in their equipment.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 05:31:02 am »

@Sarmatian123: I'd very much recommend adding a second weapon over a shield for a dwarf unskilled in shield use but skilled with weapons for anything but firebreathers. For siege-type enemies, dual is already superior even when exp is split equally between shield and weapon, and for beast-types, the difference between shield and second weapon in equal skill condition is small enough in favour of shield I bet having something you actually know how to use beats dabbling block chance.

Also, dwarves and goblins have same baseline strength (1250).

Dwarves always looked to me more buffy then goblins. Even in leather armor against Goblins in copper armor. Maybe wooden shields is the reason? Yes, Dwarves can cary 2 shields indeed beside an ax or war hammer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 12:31:39 am »

I didn't mean two shields, I meant two weapons. Two wooden shields is somewhat niche in usefulness (mostly armor-user training on wildlife or perhaps to meatshield the super-fragile made of fire fbs).

Dwarves have spatial sense, focus and trances which might be better bonuses than goblins willpower, endurance and average agility.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 05:16:13 am »

Can a character with more than 2 arms benefit from multiple bucklers?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:20 pm »

Given that character with 2 can in adv mode, I'd say yes. There are diminishing returns for each additional shield beyond the first one, though - there's a thread in this forum somewhere.

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 12:31:33 am »

If the mood takes you...know that any more work of this kind would be dearly loved by some. Comparisons to common foreign weapons, for instance. This is definitely good stuff either way, and a lot of work I'm guessing. I tested body size's influence on highly skilled and equipped matchups, and it was a huge pain in the ass to try to control for everything.
Pages: 1 [2]