Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game - THREAD B - 7 decks made!  (Read 6078 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game - THREAD B - 7 decks made!
« on: August 17, 2019, 03:04:39 am »

This is the spinoff thread for the Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game.

This is a game where you make your own deck (think Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! etc.) of forty cards and face them off against each other. To make your own deck, follow the rules below. If you don't want to make your own deck but you still want play, you can play with one of the house decks. There's currently only one house deck: Anarchy, but more could be made on request.

Spoiler: Game Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Card Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Additional Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Cards (click to show/hide)

When you have a deck, go ahead and challenge someone in the thread (or the main thread). You can even challenge someone with a game variant! Here are some example variants:
- 1v1v1 (three players against each other)
- Extra Stars (player 1 starts with 1 star, player 2 with 2 stars)
- Flexible (Instead of drawing a card, you can choose to play two cards, or instead of playing a card you can choose to draw two cards)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:54:13 am by notquitethere »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Trading-Card-Game - THREAD B - 7 decks made!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 03:12:19 am »

I challenge you Supernerd! As the challengee you can pick a variant:
- Vanilla
- Extra Stars
- Flexible

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:29:58 pm »

I'll accept your challenge, going with the Vanilla game variant for now. If my previous actions are any precedent, I think it is the GM's decision to arbitrarily decide who goes first.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »

Supernerd wins the flip and will go first.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:33:16 pm »

VS Kashyyk

Got it.

First I draw a card at the start of my turn. I will then play Mortician of Ill Repute!

This card's effect forces me to discard the top three cards of my deck.
Spoiler: Discarded (click to show/hide)

And this ends my turn.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:55:03 pm »

I see it's a self-milling deck. This should be interesting. I'll keep a tab of my discard pile as well, as I suspect it may become important.

To begin my first turn I draw a card, then I play Crystal Cluster, giving me two Energy Crystal tokens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I then play Construction Drone, and use its ability to then play a second card; Perimeter Defence. Finally, I destroy an Energy Crystal to give Perimeter Defence one extra heart.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 02:11:44 pm »

VS Kashyyk

You just played three cards that turn! Can't complain too much considering what I can do too~

First I'll draw a card...

I'll then play Call of the Grave!

I choose to discard two cards.
Spoiler: Discarded (click to show/hide)

This triggers the effect of Endless Horde! Another Endless Horde is created in my hand and I gain 1 star.
In addition to this, two effects are triggered from Call of the Grave. Dice rolls are 4 and 3. I gain a star and draw a card.

Since Call of the Grave doesn't take up my card action, I will play an Endless Horde card!

I will then attack your Perimiter Defense with my Mortician of Ill Repute, lowering the hearts of both cards to 1.

This ends my turn.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:22:34 pm by Supernerd »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:10 pm »

First, I draw a card.

Then I play a second Construction Drone and trigger it's alternate ability to search my deck for a card. I select and play Crystal Mine. Then, thanks to my first Construction Drone, I can play Deployment Initiative.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally, I sacrifice my other Energy Crystal to bump Perimeter Defence's hearts back up to 2.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 04:44:40 pm »

VS Kashyyk

I'll start by drawing a card...

I'll then make the seemingly terrible action of attacking your Perimiter Defense card with my Endless Horde, which destroys my horde and lowers your perimiter defense to 1 heart again. What's important is that this gives me a star and puts another Endless Horde into my hand!

I can then play Twisted Necromancer at the cost of 3 stars!

Twister Necromancer's effect allows me to play a card straight from my discard pile once per turn, without counting to my turn limit! Using this effect I play Extinguish Life from my Discard Pile! I choose the first effect, and this destroys your Perimiter Defense and moves it to my discard pile.

This gives me an opportunity to attack your Crystal Mine with my Mortician of Ill Repute, destroying it! The mine has no attack so my Mortician survives!

This ends my turn.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »

Hold on a minute. notquitethere, I think the cost to transform Twisted Necromancer into a Lich was supposed to be 3 stars, but the card you gave me says "You may pay 3 cards". Could you give us a clarification on this? Ideally before the necromancer gets destroyed.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 05:15:27 pm »

Hmm, the effect you originally sent me definitely said 3 cards and at the time I made a calculation and deemed it okay. If you intended it to cost three stars to transform on death, I can accept that (liches are powerful), but having to field then lose the necromancer to get the lich and having to keep three cards on by to lose (perhaps permanently without the necromancer) and the reduced stats of the necromancer I consider about adequate cost. If you want to amend the card to 3 stars, do so now, otherwise we can review the balance when the game ends.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 05:35:40 pm »

Huh. I guess I did mess up with that. Now I need clarification on what paying 3 cards means, as it doesn't specify if said cards would need to be in play or if you could just pay them from your hand.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 05:41:59 pm »

I understand paying cards as a currency as being only from cards in your hand- these go in the discard pile but they don't trigger discard effects. Does that make sense? We can reword for clarity post-game.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 06:05:56 pm »

If it doesn't allow discard effects, that should definitely be specifically stated on the card.

I'll probably just replace the card with one or two similar ones after this game. In the meantime, is that the official ruling?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 06:21:05 pm »

Yes, for this game that's the ruling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8