Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some ideas for the villains update  (Read 3522 times)

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some ideas for the villains update
« on: August 17, 2019, 08:06:26 am »

Hey guys,

I have only been part of the dwarf fortress community for a couple of mounths now, but after spending a lot of time reading the developer blogs, I had some ideas I wanted to share, regarding the upcomming villains update:

Necromancers:
-Necromancers could have the option to secretly turn position-holders into the new intelligent undead that were mentioned in the developer blogs. These undead could could act as secret agents for plots, until someone finds out what they are.

Vampire:
As the villains update seems to include a lot of new features for necromancers, I thought that we could also get some (simple) features for vampires, we could use some of the already existing mechanics for this.

-Some of the abilities that were mentioned for intelligent undead like raising a heavy fog or causing different effects
-Beeing able to transfom into a bat(using existing werebeast mechanics)
-Some sort of vampiric charm that can temporarily stun people or make them fight on your side. Could also be used to turn people into loyal agents for intrigue.
-Vampiric regeneration, beeing able to regenerate instantly, similar to how werebeasts regenerate when they transform. This could require drinking extra blood.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
Re: Some ideas for the villains update
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:39:52 pm »

How about night vision for undead? it shouldn't be hard to mod in, but I'd really like it in the base game.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:58:18 pm by AshTheTiefling »
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:41:38 am »

How about night vision for undead? it's not hard to mod in, but I'd really like it in the base game.
Don't undead already have [EXTRAVISION]?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:55:41 am »

Some loose ideas:

-make it possible for villains/necromancers to cooperate, i.e. make it possible for an alliance of necromancers to rise (with fun names, like Council of Darkness etc)
-demon journeys: demons might venture on some solitary travels to cause  mayhem: raid settlements, capture people, erect demon temples/obelisks to spread corruption etc
-if a villain gets powerful and notorious enough, rulers and other people might try to contact them to gain favors, in exchange for privileges, money etc

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:00:50 pm »

Hey guys,

I have only been part of the dwarf fortress community for a couple of mounths now, but after spending a lot of time reading the developer blogs, I had some ideas I wanted to share, regarding the upcomming villains update:

Necromancers:
-Necromancers could have the option to secretly turn position-holders into the new intelligent undead that were mentioned in the developer blogs. These undead could could act as secret agents for plots, until someone finds out what they are.

Vampire:
As the villains update seems to include a lot of new features for necromancers, I thought that we could also get some (simple) features for vampires, we could use some of the already existing mechanics for this.

-Some of the abilities that were mentioned for intelligent undead like raising a heavy fog or causing different effects
-Beeing able to transfom into a bat(using existing werebeast mechanics)
-Some sort of vampiric charm that can temporarily stun people or make them fight on your side. Could also be used to turn people into loyal agents for intrigue.
-Vampiric regeneration, beeing able to regenerate instantly, similar to how werebeasts regenerate when they transform. This could require drinking extra blood.
I really just want mind control to be possible in general.
pug

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:42:27 am »

Mind control could actually be more simple to implement due to recent changes in the relationship code. Each relationship has a several variables, each for a different aspect (love-hate, trust, loyalty, fear, respect).
Just forcing one or more of these to set values should do for some kind of mind control, as long as the change sets in swiftly; if the creatures don't check their relationship values often enough a fierce warrior might just slay the vampire queen and then, during the subsequent off-load, realize they were supposed to be enthralled by her.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:03 am »

Mind control would be a great tool for vampires (and maybe certain demons).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 06:29:11 am »

Mind control would be a great tool for vampires (and maybe certain demons).

I imagine this leading to an entire hive mind of Demon/Vampire-slaves, conquering the world one civilisation after another, swarming the land and slowly infesting the souls of all sentient creatures!
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*