Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"  (Read 10283 times)

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 02:48:37 am »

Trailer looks good. Personal thoughts:
KSP1 is bogged down, and could do with significant optimization, but I feel like that's what we're gonna get from KSP2 and more.
Saying that people won't want to leave KSP1 because of mods is a bit foolish, since there's gonna be new mods for a supposedly better, expanded game. Who knows, not enough data to make an accurate prediction.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 03:06:57 am »

there's a large risk of the modding community to become fragmented and ineffective. also the 60$ (unconfirmed) price tag is a huge put off, especially as extraplanetary launchpads, ksp interstellar, kerbal star systems, astroner pack and dark multiplayer would get you all that ksp2 hopes to give, free.

my purchase decision hinges on two factors: preorder top tier bonus needs to come with 'all future expansion too', because this sounds like just a cashgrab to fuck with their free dlc commitment and dlc + multiplayer means you'll be hostage of future packs to play with other people, plus first rate mod support, none of the curse/ckan/download shit out of forums shenanigans.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:45 am »

Also notable. This is no longer Squad at all... except in an advisory role. This is a completely different developer... and one with a not so great track record. (One bad enough they felt the need to change the name of their company.) That doesn't mean it's going to be bad definitively... but doesn't bode well either.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 09:11:35 am »

my purchase decision hinges on two factors: preorder top tier bonus needs to come with 'all future expansion too', because this sounds like just a cashgrab to fuck with their free dlc commitment and dlc + multiplayer means you'll be hostage of future packs to play with other people, plus first rate mod support, none of the curse/ckan/download shit out of forums shenanigans.

Only small devs tend to offer future expansions/patches for free. At the higher price point they'll have a day 0 pass for $30+. Modders will go all in, forcing mod users to buy everything, even the cosmetics. We've seen this time and time and time again.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 07:51:51 pm »

Yeah, this feels shady enough that I'm probably not going to buy it. The siren call of modern game dev fuckery is too strong for anyone to seriously expect Uber Entertainment of all developers to avoid becoming Epic exclusive or microcharging $0.05 a strut or paid mods or something, maybe something we don't find out until we've already bought in.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:22 pm »

I will admit that I find it odd as well that this is being offloaded to a different developer.  While I do like the idea of integrating these mod features into the base game as part of an improved sequel, I would need to wait and see before I decide to purchase the game.  That's triply true at this price point.  I think that much is pretty much common sense, though, my usual sarcasm about the term aside.  I'm not feeling pessimistic about the game (yet), but I am cautious.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »

Even after Take-Two's purchase, I thought Squad was still developing for it.  Certainly, the link above says they will continue to support and develop new content for KSP1.  That's the reason I find it odd that it's been offloaded to a different developer.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 07:53:51 pm »

Squad isn't really a game development studio, they're a marketing company. We've been hearing stories about mismanagement and poor work conditions there for the whole of KSP's history.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 12:43:34 pm »

I don't have a lot of experience with software development, but I have enough to know that it's pretty reasonable to start from scratch to make a lot of the most-requested features possible. Bases are an excellent example; yes, you can technically build stationary bases on moons and such, but they are super unstable and liable to glitch into terrain at the drop of a hat, and furthermore, building structures in-position is not really feasible in KSP 1 simply because of how the game spawns new entities.

More generally, KSP needs to be rebuilt to enable things like external star systems, a meaningful space economy, a graphics update, performance improvements... never mind making currently hacky and glitchy mods into stable core features. How can anyone afford to pay developers to do that if all that work is going to be free?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 05:41:40 am »

All of that is true. Also I know from experience that picking through someone else's code trying to make big changes is kind of shitty and can often take longer than just remaking the system yourself.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 08:07:33 am »

they're using the same engine and will likely find the same limitation, while I'm "cautiously optimistic" (albeit there were some shady corporatish messages in between my original post here and this) stuff like unpacking objects and resuming physics will stay with us.

while most of the warp stuff is fairly straightforward to add, I fear their solution for unpacking colonies will be to have them as prefabs that you carry in place and pops into existence as non-physical structures like the current space center on kerbin is.

not that it'd be bad per se, but it's also going to be unlikely to see radical changes, especially since the whole trailer was focused on how ksp2 will be ksp1 but prettier and with more planets.

on a second note I really hope ksp2 introduces stuff to discover and some sense of wonder back into the game and takes it in a different direction or add some twist interesting enough to justify the purchase.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 01:01:47 pm »

It's largely looking like an up-res so they can sell the same game again. We'll see....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 01:16:13 pm »

It's largely looking like an up-res so they can sell the same game again. We'll see....
I looked at the gameplay pre-alpha footage, looks like more than just a graphics overhaul to me but I did notice they still have some pretty shit physics. I did note a lack of stuttering due to unity's garbage collection which points to some reworked or reengineered systems in the background. Also when they took off from the munbase the whole thing didn't violently self-destruct, and when approaching a hugely complex station the frames didn't drop to 0.3fps with random phantom physics forces tugging things around. Its likely they've reworked how they apply forces in unity, or have implemented their own physics engine instead of using unity's.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 01:25:43 pm »

wait there's actual game footage floating around? can you link it?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6